What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA action/adventure novel read in 2011 in paperback. It featured a boy whose parents were (I believe) spies and missing/gone at the beginning of the novel. It features kidnapping and travelling to a lost Mayan or Aztec city.

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (pageswithemily) | 4 comments I read the book in primary school and the book was already on a classroom shelf so could’ve been released earlier in the 2000s. It was a modern setting so could’ve been quite current at the time. As far as I recall, the book had a white background with black and orange text and a silhouette on the cover that was possibly someone running. The book had a male protagonist who was only a teen as far as I remember. I think it had some spy elements - perhaps the parents or the son but there was definitely a mystery element to the story. I have a feeling I found this book a few years back and learned that it was the first in a series, but I could be wrong. Any ideas? Thank you!

message 2: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments The plot sounds like Addison Cooke and the Treasure of the Incas...only that just came out in 2017. The cover sounds like Roland Smith's IQ series, but none of them seem to take place with Incas.

Could it be Anthony Horowitz's Evil Star?

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Evil Star by Anthony Horowitz - Kelly's suggestion

message 4: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments Longshot: City of the Beasts

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (pageswithemily) | 4 comments While all of these sound great, I’ve read up on each and unfortunately it isn’t any of them. Thank you for the suggestions!

message 6: by Linda (new)

Linda Albrecht-Früh | 7 comments Perhaps: Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz ? His uncle was a spy but gets killed and Alex(the main character) takes over after finding out about the whole spy thing.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6965 comments Mod
Stormbreaker the click for Linda's suggestion.

message 8: by Emily (new)

Emily (pageswithemily) | 4 comments Thank you all for the suggestions! I'm not entirely sure just yet (am going to order a copy just to make sure) but I think the book I'm searching for could be Invisible City! The cover certainly looks familiar to me!

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Here's the Google Books preview of Invisible City by M.G. Harris:

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Hn... There are different cover images.

message 10: by Emily (new)

Emily (pageswithemily) | 4 comments The paperback cover, I meant!

message 11: by Capn (new)

Capn | 1627 comments The Lost Falls of Orellana by Elwy Yost?

Also called 'Secret of the Lost Empire'Elwy Yost

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 21140 comments Secret of the Lost Empire for the link to Capn's suggestion.

message 13: by Capn (new)

Capn | 1627 comments (Thanks, Rainbowheart!)