Play Book Tag discussion

The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts
This topic is about The 5 Love Languages
Archive: Other Books > The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Rachel N. | 1620 comments Chapman discusses the five ways he has found that people express love and how each person has a primary love language. He stresses that spouses often do not have the same love language and this lack of speaking the other persons language leads to much discord in relationships. I found the main points of the book interesting and useful. The author does have a very outdated opinion of women and sex and he is Christian and Christian teachings are prevalent in the later chapters of the book.

message 2: by Karin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:42PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 7481 comments That's too bad it's so disappointing. I have thought of reading this, but don't need the outdated view he has. I've spent too much time working the strong women in the Bible, women who took a stand despite spouses (Abigail, for one), leadership roles, prophets, etc. I've never read anything by him and will pass-thanks for the review!

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Hasn't this been widely used in couples counseling?

Amy- any insight?

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 9384 comments I think it’s widely known in pop psychology. Like a lot of people have heard of it. There’s actually a lot of really great lay books out there, For couples who want to work on stuff on their own. Hold me tight is another book that couples are using pretty widely. I think in the professional side, the premise is that each member of the couple has a vulnerable edge or tender spot, where old wounds still feel alive. The goal is to learn how to speak to each other and hear each other while taking care of old wounds and offering new possibilities for connection and intimacy. If the five love languages help with that, that’s great. I think it’s useful. Not a full cure, But it starts the process of thinking about how folks give and receive love.