YA LGBT Books discussion

Pride Reads - name fav YA LGBTQ > 19 - What is your favorite YA LGBTQ SciFi?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments 19 - What is your favorite YA LGBTQ SciFi?

(Yes please, we need more SciFi.)

message 2: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Mine is Knight Errant - fun space opera SciFi with a brilliant 16 year old MC and a developing a relationship.

message 3: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments I love The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet/A Closed and Common Orbit. It's a big cast of characters in a small environment, and I love the complexity of their interactions.

The Sidekick series and Nemesis series are both up there, too.

message 4: by Benjamin (last edited Jun 17, 2018 04:22AM) (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Iamshadow wrote: "I love The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet/A Closed and Common Orbit. It's a big cast of characters in a small environment, and I love the complexity of their inte..."

I really like these two as well - and I'm very much looking forward to Record of a Spaceborn Few later this year.
The plot's quite light, but the character interactions are superb, and all really likeable.

message 5: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Benjamin wrote: "The plot's quite light, but the character interactions are superb, and all really likeable. "

Sometimes, light is fine. Sometimes, you just want it to all hang together, and you want to watch the characters grow. That's why I love binge watching whole series, and why the best of fan fiction is so satisfying. It's about watching something unfurl gradually. When it's done well, you don't need a massive plot with an orchestral score. It's not sci-fi, but that's what We Are Okay is basically a masterclass in showing. It's the story of a weekend in an empty dorm room, with just the MC for most of the pages. It's brilliant in showing how powerful a story can be told in quiet moments, in the spaces between the action. The Wayfarers series has more big events than We Are Okay, of course, but it does those quiet moments really well, and as a person who likes writing stories in quiet moments, maybe there's a healthy dollop of writing envy in there for what Becky Chambers has done. :)

message 6: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Iamshadow wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "The plot's quite light, but the character interactions are superb, and all really likeable. "

Sometimes, light is fine. Sometimes, you just want it to all hang together, and you w..."

Oh, definitely - the 'light plot' comment wasn't really meant as criticism. I think Chambers has a real gift for making her characters compelling to spend time with, without needing dramatic events to pull the whole thing together - and I feel a bit of writing envy as well!

message 7: by Iamshadow (new)

Iamshadow | 334 comments Benjamin wrote: "Oh, definitely - the 'light plot' comment wasn't really meant as criticism."

I didn't take it as such - I was agreeing! :)

message 8: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) | 69 comments Iamshadow wrote: "Benjamin wrote: "Oh, definitely - the 'light plot' comment wasn't really meant as criticism."

I didn't take it as such - I was agreeing! :)"

Sorry about that - misreading on my part!

message 9: by Jay (new)

Jay | 136 comments As a screenwriter I follow recently tweeted, without character, plot is just stuff happening. Characters are why we care about any story and what makes it memorable.

message 10: by Andy (last edited Jul 18, 2020 03:12PM) (new)

Andy | 24 comments Honor Among Thieves (The Honors, #1) by Rachel Caine - this one is my ultimate fave, closely followed by Once & Future (Once & Future #1) by Amy Rose Capetta !

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Would you call Once and Future more pure SciFi or more of a hybrid with fantasy?

message 12: by Andy (new)

Andy | 24 comments I saw more sci-fi because there are only two characters with magic.

message 13: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Good to know - it's on my TBR list.

message 14: by Sally ✨ (new)

Sally ✨ (tratiezone) | 7 comments The Fever King

message 15: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 16815 comments Sally ✨ wrote: "The Fever King"

Interesting - I hadn't seen this. Looks like it straddles fantasy and SciFi