Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Ann's May 2018 books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15064 comments I am finally posting some of my monthly book lists and will start catching up with May-2018 first. Lots of good books!

King, Stephen Sleeping Beauties Read 5/2/2018 Audio 9.7 of 10 rank - a big fat book I hated to have end. Fantasy blended with reality and human nature, the deep seated emotional nature we often keep under wraps; but when an earth-changing event removes the female population.... nature asserts and disaster isn't far behind. Very enjoyable on audio, the urgency of the situation and diverse characters captured my attention and won't let go.

Swanson, Peter All the Beautiful Lies Read 5/5/2018 Audio 9 of 10 and a group read book A twisted psychological suspense tale of the type we've come to expect from Peter Swanson with flawed characters red herrings, and dark secrets

Niemann, Michael Africa Always Needs Guns (A Valentin Vermeulen Short Story Book 1) Read 5/5/2018 Kindle 8.5 of 10

Knight, Renae Mother's Day Kindle short Read 5/10/2018

Harmel, Kristin The Room on Rue Amalie Read 5/10/2018 Audio 9 of 10 rank

Fox, Candice Crimson Lake (Crimson Lake, #1) Read 5/16/2018 Audio Ranked 9.85 of 10 Excellent narration, I loved the Queensland Australia setting, the characters and the tension filled investigation. This is another of our Group Read books and we have a good discussion going on it now. I am glad we picked it.

Connelly, Michael Suicide Run: Three Harry Bosch Stories (Harry Bosch, #15.1; Harry Bosch Universe, #16.1) Kindle Read 5/19/2018 9 rank - one can never have enough of Harry Bosch

Albert, Susan Wittig Queen Anne's Lace (China Bayles #26) Read 5/19/2018 Kindle 9 of 10 I love this series and this is a great installment; parallel stories in the 1880's and the present with plenty of our favorite characters and great herbal info and recipes. I usually listen to this series on audio but the print copy was available and read quickly.

Lepore, Jill Book of Ages: The Life and Opinions of Jane Franklin Read 5/23/2018 Audio 9 of 10 rank A fascinating glimpse into the life and family of Jane Franklin, sister of Benjamin Franklin through her letters to her beloved brother; their correspondence carefully researched and reconstructed revealing details of pre-revolutionary and the early years of the United States of America.

Grann, David Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI Read 5/25/2018 Audio 9 of 10 Rank - Our current Group Read book; well written and full of interesting facts about the birth of the FBI and of the era, but painful to read of the greed-motivated, hidden hatred and systemic murders of innocent Osage Indians. I am glad I read this book but it hurts my heart.

Hoffman, Alice Seventh Heaven Read 5/28/2018 (Memorial Day) Audio 9.55 of 10 rank Perfect for a holiday weekend, the houses on Hemlock Street all look alike in this 1950's neighborhood, but the families within are not all the same and neither is the world evolving around them as the 1960's dawn. Full of character insight and tinged with a bit of the wonderful magic Alice Hoffman brings to stories.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1343 comments Good month Ann.

message 3: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3651 comments Good month! Glad you enjoyed Queen Anne's Lace. I hope to get Killers of the Flower Moon read this month.

message 4: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8302 comments What a varied month. You have some good reads there. I have Killers of the Flower Moon out from the library now but am approaching it with trepidation for the reasons you noted.

Also have Sleeping Beautifies. I'd better get going!

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15064 comments Carol: I had to read it in doses, with gaps; a worthwhile effort though.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: 0I have Killers of the Flower Moon out from the library now but am approaching it with trepidation for the reasons you noted.."

message 6: by Randi (new)

Randi good month! I am just starting SLEEPING BEAUTIES now. I don't usually read King, but decided to change it up, and this one sounds pretty intriguing. and let's face it, he's such a good author!

message 7: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 15064 comments Randi: I hope you also like it, I really enjoyed Sleeping Beauties and for a double King treat, just finished The Outsider in June.
Randi wrote: "good month! I am just starting SLEEPING BEAUTIES now. I don't usually read King, but decided to change it up, and this one sounds pretty intriguing. and let's face it, he's such a good author!"