Books2Movies Club discussion

Johnny Mnemonic
This topic is about Johnny Mnemonic
Quick Reads > Johnny Mnemonic

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Zeljka (ztook) | 2988 comments Mod
A copy of Johnny Mnemonic that includes both the story and the screenplay might give a great insight into the creative force that is William Gibson, because they were both written by him. That meant the fans of the original story who were displeased with the movie's treatment of the source material couldn't actually write an angry letter to the producers without irritating their favourite author himself :)

It is true though that the movie wasn't very well received when it came out in 1995. It has a somewhat cult status nowadays. There are two versions of the movie, one that was released internationally, and the other released in Japan. The latter adds more gravitas to the character played by Takeshi Kitano and is generally thought closer to the director's cut.

As usual, your thoughts and impressions of the movie and the story (and the screenplay) are more than welcome :)

message 2: by Dawn (last edited Jul 03, 2018 09:16AM) (new)

Dawn (eternalalien71) | 1 comments I remember watching the movie a long time ago and thinking it was an 'okay' film, but not exactly being blown away.

So I read the short story for this group, and...wow! I thought it was amazing.
Unfortunately I coudn't get the image of Keanu Reeves out of my head while I was reading it, but other than that I loved it.
I loved the world building, and the atmosphere. It was slick and gritty at the same time, and had a fab noir feel.
I wish it was longer. And I think, in a time of rampant remakes, someone could film this again in a different style, and it could be awesome.
It's actually my first story by Gibson, but I fully intend try some more :)

message 3: by Zeljka (last edited Sep 08, 2018 10:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zeljka (ztook) | 2988 comments Mod
The story was heavy with tech terms and strange descriptions. At times I felt utterly lost but still went with the flow because I liked the atmosphere, chilling and dreadful but exactly the techno-future of Blade Runner and likes that fascinate me. It didn't appear to me an easy prospect for a movie though. Speculation seemed too wild and creatures undecipherable, but feasible to Lynch and Cronenberg types.
The script, on the other hand, was so easy to understand and perfect for any director with great imagination and creativity because it was exciting yet wasn't too detailed. Characters were more nuanced, even female and villain characters were so interesting, a rare feat for a script from the 90s! It is interesting that Gibson himself chose to deviate so much from the original story, (the script is his own), but it is understandable why. He had a clear vision of the storyline, and the original story, despite being decent on its own, wasn't filmable as such. The movie that came afterwards wasn't so good, unfortunately. The meddling of the producers and an inexperienced director undid all his efforts.
The movie then - amazing how bad it was and still I watched it till the end. I simply couldn't believe how bad it was... The world setting was well done and interesting. Special effects weren't so prominent so I didn't care for that aspect much. However, the actors, all good and proficient actors!, were so wooden as if still rehearsing or not believing they are actually making a movie. The dialogue was cheesy and there were missing the whole chunks of the original Gibson's script that were important to understand characters' motivations and drive. Keanu's Johnny was an obnoxious brat in the movie. In the script he was a lost soul without childhood memories for a very good reason (that was not explained in the movie). Takeshi Kitano's Takahashi wasn't an easy villain to sympathise with in the script either, but still there were some beautiful scenes written for him that made him more human than he was in the movie.
The only thing I really disliked both in the script and in the movie was Jones. Wasn't easy to understand why he was depicted like that, and for what purpose except to disgust the audience.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Johnny Mnemonic (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Gibson (other topics)