Play Book Tag discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
June 2018: Magical Realism > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children - Ransom Riggs - 3*

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elise (ellinou) When he was a child, Jacob Portman’s grandfather Abraham told him stories about his childhood during WWII, when he lived on an island with a bunch of “magical” children. Some could fly, some were invisible, some were very strong... Eventually Jacob grew up and stopped believing in what he thought were fairytales, until somewhere in his teens, his grandfather gets horribly murdered and he sees a monster from his nightmares. He then goes to find his grandfather’s island and discovers those stories were not fairytales after all.

This was a very original and well-written tale. I loved all the photographs in the book and how the story originated from them, it made everything much more interesting.

I only give it three stars, however, because despite everything, I wasn’t actually involved in the book. You know when your brain is telling you that what’s happening is awesome and your heart answers, “yeah sure but... *yawn*”. That’s sort of what was happening here. I don’t know if it’s because it was written for a younger audience and I subconsciously felt it, but I felt removed from the story. The characters were quite interesting on the surface but I didn’t actually get attached to any of them (to the point where I had to Google Jacob’s name before writing this review because I’d forgotten it already...)

I’ll probably read the following books in the series eventually, but I’m not in any hurry to do so.

LibraryCin | 9081 comments I think I gave it 4 stars, but I'm certain part of that was the novelty of it with the photos included!

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I also gave this 4 stars. I really liked the book and thought the photographs were wonderful. The movie was good too.

Susie | 4488 comments I gave it 4 for originality too, and did vow that I would carry on with the series, but I’ve not been compelled to do so.

Karin | 7477 comments I didn't love this, and think I gave it 3 stars. I didn't like it enough to continue with the series, either. I did like the photos, though.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. I have been looking at this series lately but as I'm new to this genre I just wasn't sure. Now I'm not so sure.

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments I liked this one, haven't continued the series- but I probably should have for this tag, lol. I didn't even think of this book as magical realism- more of fantasy. But if the tag fits!

Elise (ellinou) I guess it's the limit between magical realism and fantasy? At first glance I would classify it as fantasy too, but I totally see where the magical realism tag fits!

message 9: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) I read this book recently, maybe last month. I may have read the story incorrectly,but I felt as though the ending was rushed and the problem not fully resolved. I understand that there is a book to follow this one yet I would have preferred even slightly more clear resolution.

The premise is great. I would call this genre fantasy, but lines in the sand shift.

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Susie wrote: "I gave it 4 for originality too, and did vow that I would carry on with the series, but I’ve not been compelled to do so."

The first one was the best one. I wasn't crazy about the 2nd (think I rated it ok), but the 3rd was better than the 2nd.