I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Nominations > Nominations for July Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jun 16, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 642 comments Mod
What trade should we read together for our July Comic Book of the Month? Nominate your pick here!

This month's theme is "Manga."

Titles nominated this month must be a Manga book. Your pick must be in English and can be a book published in Japan (Viz, Kodansha, etc.) or in The United States (Yen Press, Vertical, Dark Horse, etc.). If you have any questions or concerns, please send a message to mods Kate or Mike, who are happy to help. You can find the complete 2018 theme calendar here .

Remember:
- Nominated titles must be TPB comics or original graphic novels.
- Only the first volume of a series may be nominated, unless the group has already read the previous volume(s) as a book of the month. To see what we've read, check out our group's bookshelf .
- Nominated titles cannot have the same writer as the previous month's BotM winner. This month, that's Noelle Stevenson.
- Nominated titles must fit the month's theme. To see past and upcoming themes, check out the 2018 theme calendar .
- Only one nomination per person.
- You can "second" a nomination in place of nominating a different book, but this will count as your nomination for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomization process.
- If a title you nominate wins BotM, please refrain from nominating another title for one month to give others a chance.

Nomination & Voting Schedule:
To better accommodate our increasing number of members, the nomination and voting schedule is as follows every month:

16th: Nomination forum opens
23rd: Nomination forum closes; 5 nominations are selected at random; Voting opens
30th: Voting closes

More details on our updated nomination and voting procedures can be found here .

message 2: by Christian (new)

Christian Miller | 10 comments I nominate Bakuman, Volume 1: Dreams and Reality Written by Tsugumi Ohba and illustrated by Takeshi Obata. This is my favorite manga of all time.

message 3: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:00PM) (new)

Mike Rapin (mikerapin) | 642 comments Mod
I nominate ダンジョン飯 1 Dungeon Meshi 1 (Delicious in Dungeon volume 1) by Ryoko Kui.

Ever wondered if/how you could make fantasy monsters into food as you traverse through a dungeon? THIS IS THE MANGA FOR YOU!

message 4: by Phil (new)

Phil | 169 comments The Life-Changing Manga of Tidying Up: A Magical Story

I don't know why. The title just sounds silly.

message 5: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments I saw this on Hoopla the other day, and it is "foundational."

(Not that I know much about manga)

I nominate:

Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 265 comments I nominate The Breaker Volume 1
After doing a bit of searching I wanted to recommend something on the shorter side
This seems to be only 10 volumes in case anyone wants to keep reading

message 7: by Chad (new)

Chad | 829 comments I'm not really a manga reader. It drives me nuts that they read right to left. (If they are printed in the U.S. why can't they flip the art for U.S. readers, especially digital editions?)

I have heard a lot of good things about My Hero Academia from manga reading friends comparing it to the X-Men.

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments I don't read much manga, but I have been meaning to check out Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction #1 by Inio Asano.
The description sounds timely: "It’s just an everyday apocalypse.
Three years ago the aliens invaded Tokyo. Nothing was ever the same again. But after a while, even impending doom starts to feel ordinary."

message 9: by René (new)

René Rodriguez | 6 comments Christopher wrote: "I saw this on Hoopla the other day, and it is "foundational."

(Not that I know much about manga)

I nominate:

Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road"

OH! THE BREAKER IS SO GOOD!

Warning though is that it ends ubruptly because it has a sequel series The Breaker: New Waves, which is ends and the creators are working on another project instead of The Breaker part 3. WITH THAT BEING SAID, it's really good.

message 10: by René (new)

René Rodriguez | 6 comments D.Gray-man, Vol. 1 is one of my favorite series. It's dark, inventive, funny, and the art is incredible. Though it is a bit long and the series is still running (though it goes through long periods of extended hiatuses.)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.