Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Litsy vs. LibraryThing vs. Goodreads??

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Context: I'm not overly thrilled with GoodReads monetizing so much, advertising movies in half-page banners, glitching, censoring, being vulnerable to spammers.... I tried Leafmarks, which was great, but the developer gave up. I've got a lot of my books on LibraryThing, but that seems to be working out only as a backup, not a place I actually visit. So...

Who else uses what else, and how, and how much and why?

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Jenny mentioned Litsy. I do have a tablet (not a smartphone; wifi only) so I guess I could get it. What are some reasons that I might want to? What does it do better than GR? What doesn't it do? How is it funded?

For those of you who use it regularly, why did you get it in the first place? What do you love about it? How do you have time/ energy to stay up-to-date on *both* Litsy and GR?

message 3: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments I agree with you and I also use LibraryThing as a backup. I haven't figured out Litsy yet. I would probably do less on GR if it weren't for the wonderful job the admins of this group have done in organizing a usable format.

Last week, I was without my laptop and I wasn't able to figure out how to block advertising on my tablet. Today my laptop is back and healthy, although now my bank account is sickly, and I have my adblock app installed. It's such a relief.

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments I absolutely love Litsy (@jenniferw88 on there) because the community is great... there's always at least one swap going on, giveaways being hosted or buddy reads of books. There's also photo challenges, rotating book mail groups and lots of support if life is getting you down or you find yourself in a new job.
I'm frequently on there (Goodreads is my second favourite book place to hang out online, but that is mainly due to this group!)
I'm currently taking part in a photo challenge and have just sent out the matches for my #aswapoficeandfire (which, not surprisingly, is all to do with Game of Thrones!). I'm also participating in #whodunituk (a crime novel travelling the uk) and various swaps including a favourite book and a short story collection one.

message 5: by Jenny (last edited Jun 16, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Cheryl wrote: "Jenny mentioned Litsy. I do have a tablet (not a smartphone; wifi only) so I guess I could get it. What are some reasons that I might want to? What does it do better than GR? What doesn't it do? Ho..."

Litsy was taken over by LibraryThing a couple of months ago, and apart from a couple of glitches, I haven't found much difference.

My only criticism is that Litsy doesn't let you categorise your books as much as Goodreads so if you want to keep track of the tags for PBT then Goodreads is better - Litsy basically has 'read with review' and 'to be read' options.

Both sites (although mainly PBT on Goodreads) expand your reading horizons - and Litsy has occasionally helped me find books for the tags.

Basically, I think if PBT was on Litsy, I would have no need for Goodreads because I would just track my reading on an Excel spreadsheet (or maybe start a bullet journal).

message 6: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Without reading the other comments, except for PBT, my favourite it LibraryThing. It sounds like you've tried it, though. There are some fun groups I could mention if you wanted to try joining some groups, as well, to see if that adds to your enjoyment of it?

I've recently joined Litsy, but you need to use a tablet or phone, and it's geared more towards GIANT photos than anything else. You don't have to post a photo, and I don't (too much effort for my liking + I can't even post a profile photo without granting access to ALL my photos! So, I haven't even posted a profile pic!), but it's meant more to be like Instagram, I believe (not on Instagram, so I can't really make a comparison). I'm still posting my reviews there, though.

message 7: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments I guess Litsy is more if you like the big photos. (At least in my opinion.) People say it's very social, but I have yet to figure out how. There are not groups. I find it difficult to have a conversation or get to know anyone, as if you comment somewhere, you don't get any notifications that anyone has replied (unless it was your post to begin with).

It's a bit like Twitter in that you have to tag someone using @ if you want to direct a comment to them. Maybe that's how you can get a notification of something, but if you aren't tagged, you won't get a notification.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments LibraryCin wrote: "I guess Litsy is more if you like the big photos. (At least in my opinion.) People say it's very social, but I have yet to figure out how. There are not groups. I find it difficult to have a conver..."

Are you following Litsyhappenings, litsywelcomewagon, litsyswaps, litsybirthdays, chelleo, Kaye (Julie Labo) and raimeygallant on litsy? Some/all of these have litsy tips and how-tos on their pages. Feel free to chat to me on litsy (jenniferw88) and I'll introduce you to some very friendly littens!

message 9: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jenny wrote: "Are you following Litsyhappenings, litsywelcomewagon, litsyswaps, litsybirthdays, chelleo, Kaye (Julie Labo) and raimeygallant on litsy? Some/all of these have litsy tips and how-tos on their pages. Feel free to chat to me on litsy (jenniferw88) and I'll introduce you to some very friendly littens! ..."

Thank you. I didn't know about the others, but I am following chelleo. I saw some of chelleo's videos on youtube, as well.

Again, hard to have a conversation, though, when I'm not notified that someone has replied to something I've commented on.

ETA: When I turn my tablet on later, I will follow you and find the others, as well. I do keep trying!

message 10: by Jenny (last edited Jun 16, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Are you following Litsyhappenings, litsywelcomewagon, litsyswaps, litsybirthdays, chelleo, Kaye (Julie Labo) and raimeygallant on litsy? Some/all of these have litsy tips and how-tos ..."

😊 I'm guessing your handle is the same on Litsy? There may be a little surprise in store for you when you turn your tablet on! 😉🤣

message 11: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jenny wrote: "😊 I'm guessing your handle is the same on Litsy? There may be a little surprise in store for you when you turn your tablet on! 😉🤣 ..."

LOL! Yes, it is! Oh, boy...

message 12: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 02:13PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments 66 notifications, but i dont think theyll all load!

Eta took about 4 tries, but i think i finally got them to load... but evertime i look at something else it has to relkad the notifications, not always successfully.

message 13: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments LibraryCin wrote: "66 notifications, but i dont think theyll all load!

Eta took about 4 tries, but i think i finally got them to load... but evertime i look at something else it has to relkad the notifications, not ..."

Yeah, bit of a nuisance that, but it's probably due to the transfer over to librarything's servers a couple of weeks back.

Hope you didn't mind me doing that, but thought it might help! The last few people I tagged in the comments do regular literary surveys on certain days, so they might help you participate more. Admittedly some require photos but you don't have to do every single one!

message 14: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jenny wrote: "Admittedly some require photos but you don't have to do every single one! ..."

Good to know! Thank you. I did follow all the people you've recommended above. It also turns out I was already following Kaye, as well.

Just an added note for Cheryl or anyone else thinking about Litsy. Like Twitter, there is a maximum character count on your posts (451), so longer reviews are tougher. I try to cut some of mine out (summary is the first to go, but even the rest of mine are often longer), but if I can't fit it all, I continue in the comments.

message 15: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments I'm using LibraryThing and Goodreads to find books and to exchange on books as well. I like both sites well enough for participating in groups, prefer the cataloging capabilities on LT and searching for book information on GR. I maintain a spreadsheet for my reading after the experience with Shelfari. I've participated in a group read on Litsy. I like it for a conversation in the moment, but not so much if you need to catch up.

message 16: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments I use LibraryThing mostly as a back-up of my reading record. I haven't found a group I really enjoy there.

Don't have a smart phone so Litsy is out for me.

message 17: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I use LibraryThing mostly as a back-up of my reading record. I haven't found a group I really enjoy there.

Don't have a smart phone so Litsy is out for me."

Same! Use Librarything as a backup, regularly export my booklists, and don't have a smart phone.

I would love to see a more book-centered, less profit-minded website than Goodreads.

message 18: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Since I created this thread, I looked into Litsy's Privacy notification, and they're pretty darn profit-minded, too. It looks like they pretty much scrape everything they can from your online activity, tbh, iiuc.

I think I'll continue to just accept that there is no ideal site, and basically do what ❇Critterbee does. But if anyone does learn of another choice, please let us know!

message 19: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Sushicat wrote: "I'm using LibraryThing and Goodreads to find books and to exchange on books as well. I like both sites well enough for participating in groups, prefer the cataloging capabilities on LT and searchin..."

I'll add that Goodreads is "prettier" (that is, more image focused) than LibraryThing. I do think that joining groups and the sociability does help with the enjoyment of either site. So, for those on LT who aren't enjoying it as much (but would like to give it another chance), finding a good group or groups might be something to try!

message 20: by Karin (last edited Jun 19, 2018 03:16PM) (new)

Karin | 7477 comments Cheryl wrote: "Context: I'm not overly thrilled with GoodReads monetizing so much, advertising movies in half-page banners, glitching, censoring, being vulnerable to spammers.... I tried Leafmarks, which was grea..."

I have a membership at Anobii, but all I did was set it up. I tried LibraryThing, but the conversations really don't work very well, IMO. I was active on it for a while. I do remember that Anobii looked very promising, and since it's housed in Europe probably has better privacy features.

message 21: by Critterbee❇ (last edited Jun 19, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 418 comments Karin wrote: "I have a membership at Anobii, but all I did was set it up. I tried LibraryThing, but the conversations really don't work very well, IMO. I was active on it for a while. I do remember that Anobii looked very promising, and since it's housed in Europe probably has better privacy features. "

Thanks, Karin, it does look promising - I just made an account and am going to start poking around.

message 22: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I still miss Shelfari. Every. Single. Day.

message 23: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I still miss Shelfari. Every. Single. Day."

<3

message 24: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6891 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I still miss Shelfari. Every. Single. Day."

Ditto

message 25: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments I’m on Litsy, here, and librarything and i use them in that order. Litsy is my favorite but this is the best site for group discussions. I love the Litsy community and have developed nice relationships there. I help run the Litsyswaps account with a bunch of other people. It is really easy to use but takes some time to figure out how to get the most out of it — which people to follow, which activities, etc. I’ve hosted buddy reads (about 60 of us all read Infinite Jest together), participated in buddyreads hosted by others, occasionally do quizzes, challenges, etc. Litsy is photo based but it takes 5 seconds to post a photo and I like putting visuals with my reviews.

Library thing is the best for cateloguing but I don’t use it for much else and in fact I am mainly tracking my books here. I also write a book blog and have many conversations with people over there.

I miss shelfari too. The nested conversations were so much nicer than the format here. I haven’t been participating as much with PBT since it moved here. In part because of the lack of nesting and in part because there are so many new members, which is great for the group but makes it harder for me to feel connected with people in the same way. It’s funny because I have many more people I’m following over at Litsy yet the character limit and format make it easier to have conversations. I have to admit that in the good reads groups I tend to skim over those really long reviews or reviews about books I don’t want to read whereas over at Litsy I’ll read the reviews because they are concise and visually interesting.

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments And i also will say that the admins here are awesome and are the main reason why I am still active in this group.

message 27: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6750 comments Just seeing this interesting thread now, lol.

While I can only handle one reading site personally, I want to thank everyone for the kind words about PBT. I think we all miss Shelfari, but am grateful for the members here who make PBT so fun to administer despite the platform deficiencies.

message 28: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2105 comments Who needs anything else when you have PBT. haha.

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Except for shelf management, that's pretty true!

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9377 comments I’m with you Jason! I don’t need more than you guys. And am not waxing nostalgic for the old days of Shelfari. I sort of got involved at the time of the move. I didn’t understand PBT or groups until I was forced to move. So it got Born for me with goodreads. No need for new worlds....

message 31: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7477 comments Nicole D. wrote: "I still miss Shelfari. Every. Single. Day."

Yes, until it started to fall apart due to negligence it was fabulous--the very best conversational set up for reading groups I've found so far (well, haven't done discussions at Anobii because I haven't really used it yet--keeping up with GR uses up my computer time for this sort of thing).

message 32: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I too don't need anything more than PBT!

message 33: by Tanya D (last edited Jul 18, 2018 04:13PM) (new)

Tanya D (tdrosebud) | 96 comments I just joined Litsy about a month ago, mainly because I'm participating in Jen's backpack europe challenge and figured it would be the best way to track my progress. I find myself liking it, and that I use it in a different way than Goodreads. I like the limited character format because I often have trouble putting my thoughts down in a concise way and this forces me to do so. I did just sign up for my first book swap and am excited to participate in it. For those of you that provided your Litsy names, I will probably follow you later tonight when I check in (@tdrosebud).

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1545 comments Tanya D wrote: "I just joined Litsy about a month ago, mainly because I'm participating in Jen's backpack europe challenge and figured it would be the best way to track my progress. I find myself liking it, and th..."

The book swaps are so fun! I hope you get a good match.

message 35: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jen wrote: "The book swaps are so fun! I hope you get a good match. ..."

How do the book swaps work and are they open internationally? Thanks!

message 36: by Jenny (last edited Jul 19, 2018 12:53AM) (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Most swaps are open internationally and have some sort of theme. For example, I am currently taking part in a summer bookmark swap (this is one of the cheaper ones available) and a my favourite book swap (which involves sending a book from your matches' tbr plus your favourite book). I am also hosting #ASwapOfIceAndFire for George R R Martin's 70th birthday in September and have just signed up for an Agatha Christie swap too. If you check @LitsySwaps and @Litsyhappennings they often retweet Littens' swaps and the Google form to sign up and rules. Hope this helps!

message 37: by Tanya D (new)

Tanya D (tdrosebud) | 96 comments Jen wrote: "Tanya D wrote: "I just joined Litsy about a month ago, mainly because I'm participating in Jen's backpack europe challenge and figured it would be the best way to track my progress. I find myself l..."

Thanks Jen, I hope so as well. I signed up for the Falling for Fall swap. Autumn is my favorite season and I figured it was a good one to start on.

message 38: by Tanya D (new)

Tanya D (tdrosebud) | 96 comments LibraryCin wrote: "Jen wrote: "The book swaps are so fun! I hope you get a good match. ..."

How do the book swaps work and are they open internationally? Thanks!"

I got the impression that most are. The one I signed up for had a very thorough sign up form and there were several shipping options to choose from: only US, only UK, only my country, etc. I choose the one that said prefer US but am willing to go international. I came across the swap by looking at @LitsySwaps.

message 39: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3684 comments I was wondering about Litsy book swaps because I simply looked at #bookswap and didn't find anything.

I will check @LitsySwaps and @Litsyhappenings

I would LOVE to do a book swap! Been a while...

message 40: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9081 comments Jenny wrote: "Most swaps are open internationally and have some sort of theme. For example, I am currently taking part in a summer bookmark swap (this is one of the cheaper ones available) and a my favourite boo..."

Thanks so much for the extra info!