The Sword and Laser discussion

Frankenstein
This topic is about Frankenstein
Scifi / Fantasy News > Frankenstein-related news and creations

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lauren (parnopaeus) | 45 comments Since it's a big anniversary year, it seems like new Frankenstein-related stories and creations will be happening all throughout 2018. I've seen some folks posting back in the January 2018 book pick section, but I hope it will be okay if I create a new thread in this area to share and highlight the work that will happen all year long in a more visible space on the forum.
(If that's not okay, I'm happy to move the thread or have it moved!)

I'll start with two items that came to my attention this week and I hope folks will add more as you see them through the year, so we can have a whole fun thread of Frankenstein media and derivations.

Brain Pickings (which is a lovely blog in general) did a 200 Years of Frankenstein celebration post with some background on Frankenstein and highlighted a series of seven videos called Reanimation! These videos are made by scientists who tackle some of the main themes in Frankenstein, like the nature of life and consciousness, the human impulse for transformation, and more good stuff.

Another project I learned more about last week from some local librarian colleagues is the Pittsburgh Bicentennial Frankenstein Project. They are attempting to collect five early editions of the book and link them together so that each version could be "read" alongside the others and you could easily see all the differences. This project is still in progress - right now there are three versions ready for reading online, but they aren't linked together yet. I did get to see a demo of what it might look like when it's done, and it's really cool - there is an annotation indicator on sentences or words, and it brings up a box on the right side of the screen that shows you what that section looks like in other texts. They are even working on some ways to incorporate commentary. It's something to keep an eye on and I'll definitely come back and let folks know when it's complete.

Gary Foss | 386 comments Good stuff, Lauren. Thanks.

message 3: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 2277 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "They are attempting to collect five early editions of the book and link them together so that each version could be "read" alongside the others and you could easily see all the differences."

Too bad that wasn't done before we read it. It would have been a good version to read and discuss the differences.

Lauren (parnopaeus) | 45 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Too bad that wasn't done before we read it. It would have been a good version to read and discuss the differences. "
I was thinking that same thing - many of us read different versions and were able to discuss the differences a little bit, but this would have made that much easier.

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 965 comments Ideal human or Frankenstein fantasy? Scientist creates 'perfect body' with emu legs & dog heart, complete with a chimp’s spine, octopus refined retinas and pointed ears.

https://www.rt.com/news/430335-scienc...

Warning: the 3D model has a woman with a kangaroo pocket with a baby head coming out of it. I was freaking out when I saw it for the first time.

message 6: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1519 comments Mod
I'm sad I missed this somehow when we were talking about the book!!