Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow, #5)
This topic is about Grand Conspiracy
Wurts - Wars of L&S & More > Q&A with Janny Wurts!! (Grand Conspiracy BR)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura (last edited Jun 20, 2018 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Grand Conspiracy by Janny Wurts

Thank you Janny for continuing the Q&A with our group. :)

message 2: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments Thanks for setting this up, Laura :)

Grand Conspiracy by Janny Wurts

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments my pleasure Chris. :)
But did I do it right? Was I supposed to add the book even to the title, or is it ok this way?

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny,

I know you may not be able to see our questions for a few days but I'll go ahead and leave them over here before they don't get too many.

First of all, if you don't mind, could you please take a look at our cover comments and let us know if we got the symbols right?
I've left quite a few question marks and wanted to ask if you could guide us where to look for the answer in those cases.

Please let us know also if we missed anyting and we'll try to look for that too.

The Paravian runes are intriguiging. Is there any place we can find them as a sort of Glossary? That way we could see which rune means what and identify those on the covers. I may recognize one or two from the written description but I'm not really sure about it.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Regarding Chapter 2 and the scene at the Shipyard, we all seem to have understood it differently.

Would you mind providing us a few extra details on that?
(view spoiler)

And in Chapter 4 regarding the scene with Cerebeld,
Does Lysaer's (view spoiler)
Did we miss anything along the way or will the answer be given later on, as we read?

message 6: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny,

I know you may not be able to see our questions for a few days but I'll go ahead and leave them over here before they don't get too many.

First of all, if you don't mind, could you ple..."

Hi Laura, I'm back - we were at the Bald Head Pirate Invasion - historical reenactment, cannon battles, the works - I was playing bagpipes/etc, and we did a lot of painting on the beach. Sort of a working getaway.

I will pop in and see what comments you have on the covers and comment further according to what is there.

I don't recall if I posted the Paravian runes - they are phonetic, and largely correlate to our alphabet but there is one that does NOT - there is one phonetic symbol for, roughly: T-TH (when you get into Arc IV, there is a character called Iyat-thos) and that symbol would appear in that name/no hyphen needed.

If I did put the runes up they'd be in the FAQ section of the website at www.paravia.com/JannyWurts BUT if you go there and read extensively BEWARE SPOILERS. The section was created out of answers I gave to readership who e mailed me, and we put the questions on site as a resource. I have stopped doing, that, though because some people (cough) have taken that material and published it in a reference book format and are charging for it...what is free on the internet by grace of my site, they are making money off it and no courtesy paid to the author. So I have stopped adding to that section, sadly.

If you mail me a Self Addressed Stamped Envelope to the PO box listed under the contacts on that site, with a note asking for the runes, I will send them to you. If you are overseas, just include an International Reply Coupon and that will get it there.

SIDE NOTE for your discussion of To Ride Hell's Chasm - I got a chuckle out of your deciding that Mykkael would willingly be subordinate to Taskin - nope....there was a reference in Ch I, that Taskin is OVERALL superior officer to the garrison and the palace guard. The KING is over both of them - chain of command would be King/Taskin/Lowergate Garrison Captain (Mykkael) so a direct order from the King would supplant Taskin's orders.

message 7: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Regarding Chapter 2 and the scene at the Shipyard, we all seem to have understood it differently.

Would you mind providing us a few extra details on that?
Did Cattrik make the ship designs faulty..."

Cattrick is running a very dicey game indeed - he knows; he has trusted men IN the yard who know (many of his former crew from Merior). There would be craftsmen who are not in on the trick....they would likely just be 'craftsmen' who worked wood/did seams and joinery/forged stuff or sewed sails. How many people on a car assembly line know how to design an engine? Or understand performance design for driving?? They may be expert in their class, but not know design....and Cattrick (as you will learn in the course of Arc III) is a MASTER designer. What he is doing to the plans is very subtle - would alter the handling of a ship/small details that would create disasters but not obvious to anyone unschooled to reading plans/ship design - as Mearn is, beyond question (and you will see the foundation for that, read on). So your take that they are all fawning is true: it's a joke at Lysaer's expense/designed to jolly him on without looking, but it is largely unnecessary as Lysaer DOES NOT know ship design at all anyway, like many folks who grow up super privileged, he truly would hire an underling rather than learn the task thoroughly for himself.

Question 2 regarding Cerebeld/Lysaer - what IS going on, is it the s'Ahelas royal gift at play? No. Definitely NOT. The royal lines HAVE some affinity/talent for Sight, but - it related to being able to liaise with the Paravians and survive the experience. High Kings did the negotiating with the elder races. Your guess IS very astute - there is more at play here, read on, friend. Watch for it. It will explode in your face at exactly the right moment. That is the level of subtle detail ongoing, watch carefully for the development.

message 8: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny,

First of all, if you don't mind, could you ple..."

Hi Laura - cover comments look pretty good!! There is more, of course....one thing the art is 'missing' - the portrait cover for Grand Conspiracy has a 'ghost' figure showing inside the black archway. The cover designer blacked it out to put type over it (mistake!! argh!!!) I'd suggest looking at other versions of that cover on my website or print shop to see if it shows up. Reminder to ME, I have to add images to the Paravia website to update what is available (and hope the ripper offer who does the 'compendium' volumes for sale does not swipe the info to sell/what a nuisance....!! Most major series are messed with in this regard - no courtesy to the author in any case).

message 9: by Laura (last edited Jun 19, 2018 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny. Welcome back. :)

The Bald Head Pirate Invasion sounds really cool.

Thank you for your replies.
I'll try to find another version of the Grand Conspiracy Cover and then take the symbols one by one and bring them to your attention over here for confirmation.

First of all, regarding Hell's Chasm - we don't have a thread for Q&A for that one over here so I'll ask it here
Were you refering to my comparison of Taskin and Mykkael with 2 fight-bread pitbulls? (*huge grin*)?
People do have a tendency to consider Taskin in charge in the beginning I think because he is so "professional" and sure of himself and Mykkael keeps so quiet.

So Mykkael doesn't actually agree to obey Taskin in certain things? In that stripping scene for instance (view spoiler)
And then I was also wondering why Taskin would order that in that particular manner. Was it to ease the fears of his men or prove he's in charge?
Or do I have to look further than that?

Daniel | 1536 comments Hello Janny thanks for the Cattrick and Cerebeld clarifications. Each book is better than the last-Thank You!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments For the Grand Conspiracy questions, thank you so much for the answers.

I second Daniel's comment: each book is better than the last!

And I hope you won't mind but we'll probably pester you with questions this time.

Regarding the curse and chapter 5. Both Daniel and I were wondering if (view spoiler)
We noticed you slowly give us clues as we read and the pieces are slowly falling into place to reveal the final picture. Will this also be explained more clearly later on?

Daniel | 1536 comments As a follow up to Laura’s question, (view spoiler) Just curious if there were multiple reasons?

message 13: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny. Welcome back. :)

The Bald Head Pirate Invasion sounds really cool.

Thank you for your replies.
I'll try to find another version of the Grand Conspiracy Cover and then take the symbols ..."

Great, go ahead and start a thread for Hell's Chasm Q & A if you like, or use the one in the other group.

Taskin IS Mykkael's commander so, yes, he HAD TO follow orders. He did because, simply, it did not affect his direct ability or his true priorities in any way - dignity taking second place to the direct order received from the King. He would, being an experienced leader, also recognize Taskin's main purpose, which you had right: disarming hostilities as the men would see him as 'not different' - and not cast his infirmity as a BORN anomaly, but scars of war. He also would recognize Taskin's testing of HIM - was he trustworthy to follow orders within the chain of command or not? And the last reason: Tasking views him, at this stage, as a direct link in HIS chain of command: how much of Mykkael's former injury was likely to affect his ability to do his JOB. So Tasking was making his own assessment/called in Jussoud also for the same, and, to keep his troops trim, you have to have a functional commander. Mykkael put just enough pressure back on his superior officer to let his senior know - he would follow orders; he perceived the necessary and realistic reasons for what happened in that scene - and more - that he WOULD follow orders, but didn't have to like it...What surprised him was in fact Taskin's sincerity and what impressed him: how fair and thoroughly his senior commander did execute that job. So they were both, yes, feeling each other out: how much to trust the competency of each other when the stakes got rough. Was there a weak link, or wasn't there, and how DO you get idiots to realize facts and fall in line to get the job done when so much distrust and prejudice is interfering with the job at hand.

Lotta stuff packed into that one scene - it clearly defines a lot of dynamics.

message 14: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "For the Grand Conspiracy questions, thank you so much for the answers.

I second Daniel's comment: each book is better than the last!

And I hope you won't mind but we'll probably pester you with ..."

As these books unfold, you will see deeper and deeper into everything but everything - and you will also see a 'raised' perspective - a wider overview into everything. So yes: you will see 'precisely and in depth' how that curse affects everything but everything - as long as you don't skim or rush over stuff, you will be given a more in depth view....so watch for it and brace for it!!!

Yes the Curse was triggered in that scene and it was very predictable it would happen: once Parrien (view spoiler)

Thank you for the really nice words; yes, I tried very hard to make each book build stronger and stronger upon the material before. Some folks don't feel the arc starts as strongly - those DO gear back in direct action pacing, but not in the reveals....if they are feeling like the third book is still the strongest, well, then, wait for the Arc finish at Stormed Fortress - that will blow the doors off. All arc starts open new ground/then built to the arc finish which is the major finale for that section of the plot.

Daniel | 1536 comments Hello Janny
In chapter VIII when you (view spoiler)
I apologize in advance if this question is silly 🙃. It wasn’t the name that got me, it was the image your prose created in my head.

message 16: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Hi Daniel - no question is 'silly' - while I have long been a huge fan of the space program, I did not have the shuttle in mind when naming that dragon. It does make an interesting image!!

I've always said - every story is written by the author, but when a reader adds their experience to it - it becomes a highly individual experience - never again the same, and never the same twice!

That is part of what is so much fun - seeing the infinite variations the work creates as it makes its way into the world, and each reader makes it their own.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you for the explanation for chapter 5.

Now I have a lot better picture on how the curse works. And regarding that scene, I just wanted to say that it was very clear to me why Dakar and Parrien did what they did and I understood their reasoning but still I was absolutely horrified at the extend they could go. The way you wrote that was brilliant because ...
How to explain it?
It takes so much of inner strength to harm one of your loved ones in order to keep him safe and that's exactly what those 2 did.
And it was so horrible because Perrien had already (view spoiler)
I am myself a very strong person I think, because life threw lots of stuff at me and I've learned to push through. But hell! I don't think I could have done that.
That was an amazing scene!

message 18: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris  (haughtc) | 1770 comments Laura wrote: "my pleasure Chris. :)
But did I do it right? Was I supposed to add the book even to the title, or is it ok this way?"

You did great. I usually go ahead and add book & author links in the body of my first post, so the topic gets tagged. Notice the categories on the right saying books & authors mentioned in this topic.

But yes, you had the title and topic right..

message 19: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you for the explanation for chapter 5.

Now I have a lot better picture on how the curse works. And regarding that scene, I just wanted to say that it was very clear to me why Dakar and Parri..."

Thank you - I put SO much by way of high stakes into these books. And the intricacy of the layering. I sure hope the word gets out, because yes, as Daniel mentioned, there was, early on, not enough of this series 'on the ground' to truly measure it - and you are JUST STARTING to get under the surface. So much more coming. That, not enough books on the ground at the start, and the horrible chasm carved by the mergers that cleaned off the publisher's lists in late 90s/early 2000s which caused the books to fall out of print caused so much loss of momentum.

I cannot tell you all how wonderful it is to see a new crop of readers discovering all this series has to offer! Means alot to see it all in place and working for you/with my excitement added in, knowing how MUCH more is coming!

message 20: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments --Side note: There is a LOT of subtle stuff packed into the actions breaking loose, at this stage. Easy as it is to become swept up, on first read: pay close attention to what 'triggered' the (Ch XII) (view spoiler)

Daniel | 1536 comments I guess you read my comment and are obliquely telling me to reread chapter twelve! Will do so, thanks Janny!

message 22: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "I guess you read my comment and are obliquely telling me to reread chapter twelve! Will do so, thanks Janny!"

Ha - grin, just keeping the weather eye out...this series does not have the ginormous horde of readership that some series do, and there are not too many (yet) who have tracked all the subtleties....I've so noticed how many books you folks burn through!! and all at once, too - so while there is a lot more stuff packed in here than you could possibly get on a first pass read of the series, there are a few things you may not want to miss out on.

message 23: by Daniel (last edited Jun 23, 2018 11:35AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Daniel | 1536 comments I don’t read any other books when I start one of yours, and it is because your books take my full attention. (view spoiler) On a side note, I noticed that each cover tends to have a distinctive color. Is that somehow related to the frequency of colors? Or better stated, does it have something to do with the harmonics in magic? I really have enjoyed how you have based your concept of magic in physics.
Have a wonderful day Janny!

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you for the answers Janny.

We were just talking about Letter of the Law VS Spirit of the Law in the Q&A for To Ride Hell’s Chasm

And you said

Themes like these crop up a lot (for me) in any suspensful conflict - as they do in real life. When is the 'individual' stance the right road (Arithon, based in the moment) or 'the greater good' - the bigger picture based on 'means to an end' even if it means individuals fall for it - (Lysaer) - The Wars of Light and Shadows blends this theme into the greater story - spirit of the law, vs letter of the law/immediate, individual good VS 'good' based on the masses - which is true?

Would you mind if I asked you to elaborate on this theme referring to Wars of Light and Shadow in particular.

I haven't thought about Lysaer or Arithon till now in connection to this theme, though that's pretty clear, now that you mention it.

message 25: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you for the answers Janny.

We were just talking about Letter of the Law VS Spirit of the Law in the Q&A for To Ride Hell’s Chasm

And you said

Themes like these crop up a ..."

Happy to respond to this, Laura.

There are two distinct stances set into opposition in Wars of Light and Shadow.

And we seen them, also in real live.

Lysaer's - that the greater good is answered through governance from the top - that more can be salvaged by a rule of law/by achieving the 'greatest good' for the 'greatest number' - we see this (I am trusting if anyone is reading this thread that they've read Curse of the Mistwraith already) - played through in the scene in the back alley at Etarra in the chapter before the coronation that failed: Lysaer is immersed in the process of state, looking at governance from the 'top down' - and ready to chew Arithon out for 'neglect' for not working with the people 'in power' - and his discovery of Arithon in the alley with the children in abusive labor to the horse knackers - Lysaer is SHOCKED to discover the ugly underbelly his experience had been blind to, before.

We see Arithon's stance: he refuses to deal with the uppercrust government until he has witness EVERYTHING else - what the folks in power perhaps would hide or gloss over. For him, what the individuals under the power structure are suffering says everything about what needs to be changed. So he starts there, and views the structure of power accordingly.

Lysaer would, once he found that inequity in the streets - seek to impose change upon it from 'above.'

My husband's often said - mostly in discussion with his interest in period pirates in the 1700s - if things are unfair at the top, then, the bottom will lash back - Violence at the bottom is caused by inequities not being addressed at the top...then things get crazy.

Lysaer was raised/trained/groomed to be a ruling prince and to consider his own personal angle LEAST important - he will always seek to rule from the top down - and sacrifice whatever he MUST personally to accomplish the 'greater good' - but as we see, how much does prejudice, ignorance and the effect of the curse (using those) twist what he perceives as that 'greater good.' It is so easy to fall into self-delusion from that top down stance - because ideas before direct experience drive the machine.

For Arithon - he's mage trained. He is rigorously schooled to respond to what is PRESENT - to the individual situation, one on one, and to react from that before anything else. He will respond to each set of circumstances accordingly - from the INDIVIDUAL moment - not the 'idealized idea' - his training is geared to view and to weigh what is ACTUALLY THERE. So top down isn't his stance at all: only how his own ethic interfaces with what is in front of him. Why his tactics in Warhost at The Havens went so hard on him: he was stepping outside of his usual, rigorous outlook and using a 'top down' tactic to sway the course of greater events: though that top down tactic was aimed, individually, at his conviction that Lysaer still had an ethic to stand on.

message 26: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "I don’t read any other books when I start one of yours, and it is because your books take my full attention. [spoilers removed] On a side note, I noticed that each cover tends to have a distinctive..."

Daniel so sorry - overlooked your question - here you go. I chose the colors of the covers to roughly match the mood of the story/or at least the representative setting - and to make the series as a whole look good when they are shelved as a set - each volume distinct from the next. Beyond that there is no serious correlation to the colors - or at least not consciously applied.

message 27: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side note: in fact, yes, Talith's abduction did precipitate the outcome of the Vastmark campaign for two reasons: the DELAY involving her ransom (Arithon's tactic by intent) meant the war host did not march into place and attack at peak season (summer) - this was pretty clearly stated, that part of the terms of the ransom was NO HOSTILITIES until negotiations were complete.

Lysaer could not move his troops in/started his campaign disastrously late (at the edge of autumn) - and the coming of the rain affected the faulting of the shale....by Arithon's express intent. Had the campaign launched when planned, the outcome could have (would have) been very very different.

Small details....huge stakes. Watch for them. :)

Olivia (vinjii) | 1087 comments I forgot about that, thank you for reminding us!

message 29: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Olivia wrote: "I forgot about that, thank you for reminding us!"

:)

message 30: by Laura (last edited Jun 25, 2018 08:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you for the tip Janny.
In that case it's more like I cared for her too much and allowed my planns to be delayed and lost everything? Is he thinking along those lines? So now he can't afford to love anymore because he may sacrifice his vengeance quest again the same way?
If yes, well that is just... petty? unjust? absolutely wrong? He is one of the most vile characters I ever met on paper or on screen.

Not that I'm complaining because he makes for an amazing story. But he gives me the creeps.

Edit: to explain. I had never considered the point of view you had just so clearly described. I was all the time thinking Lysaer was sorry/angry because Arithon managed to drive a wedge in between him and Talith. And I never saw the bigger picture. That he may put the failure of his attack on the shoulders of Talith's abduction because he was forced to delay. Just now that piece clicked into place.

Thank you.

message 31: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you for the tip Janny.
In that case it's more like I cared for her too much and allowed my planns to be delayed and lost everything? Is he thinking along those lines? So now he can't afford t..."

Yes, but your original premise was not entirely wrong: had Lysaer stayed true to his 'ideal' - had he not been swayed by his love for Talith - he would have bypassed her ransom and gone on ahead with his campaign, and bedamned - he would have brought down his nemesis, curse driven, adhering to his twisted 'justice' - but love was stronger, in this case....he blinked, for Talith....this says something important; and explains why he would not allow that 'weakness' (curse driven or not?) to happen again...this series runs very deep, you won't catch all of it in one pass. Can't. there's just too much depth on ALL counts....things that are not unveiled, yet, too.

At this stage in the story - have the creeps - that's exactly where you need to be.

message 32: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments I just realized in the course of being away for the start of this discussion: I forgot to post the LINK to the summary of events for Fugitive Prince. It is posted on my website under Books/down menu to Fugitive Prince, pick the synopsis....does anyone need the direct link, I will post it.

Daniel | 1536 comments Janny,
For the first time, Lysaer didn’t win my award for most awful person in this book. That distinction went to Morriel with Cerebeld a close second. Lysaer still creeps me out as well. I did notice a tiny shift in my perception of him-I didn’t seem to hate him quite as much. Not sure if this was just my perception of events or a tiny shift in the Paravarian universe.
These books NEED to be read more than once to get a better understanding of what is going on. In general, whenever I have read an epic series like this one, I would reread all previous books when a new book comes out. Having this Q and A available is very helpful.
Thank You!

message 34: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Janny,
For the first time, Lysaer didn’t win my award for most awful person in this book. That distinction went to Morriel with Cerebeld a close second. Lysaer still creeps me out as well. I did no..."

Well, strap in! More coming. :X (my symbol for authorial silence).

There is a beauty to this story, as it unfolds - different things will come to the forefront, and unveilings will widen your perceptions. No matter how many questions I answer for you at this stage (first read) they are going, inevitably, to focus on the surface that is visible.

What you will find, if you are the sort who likes to re-read - if you do re-read from the perspective of each arc - the original story will shift focus....different lines of suspense will emerge - the story will 'shift tension' - so the 'events' in Vol I, and all prior volumes, will acquire many more angles of meaning - and the drive of what is AT STAKE in each volume will unveil a whole other thrust - you will see an entirely different configuration - an entirely different angle of suspense - and in that regard, the story will be 'new' - it is part of the reason that older readers cannot say much - they are seeing the story from a completely different set of referents and if they talk about them, it will totally spoil the unfolding of the events, on first pass.

I'd expected when I wrote this that there would be a dedicated core group of readers digging for that stuff/sharing the discoveries - the crazy quilt pattern of stuff falling out of print through the first decade and into the second destroyed that momentum. Now all the books are in print, the chance is there, once again. It's so gratifying to see a group of readers tackling this story at the level it was intended for: you have no idea how much I am enjoying the fun, here. It's a rare break from what amounts to near total isolation/from the standpoint of carrying the creativity forward on my own. So thank you!

message 35: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Hah, this is the first discussion that's coughed this one up! Laura: a pud is another slang word for dick. I'd think, given that, the 'wad' part would be self evident....

Daniel | 1536 comments Morriel plotting (view spoiler)
I told Laura it was “dick”, but said to check with you to be sure lol.

message 37: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Daniel wrote: "Morriel plotting [spoilers removed]
I told Laura it was “dick”, but said to check with you to be sure lol."

It is but definitely a whopper of a 'read and find out.' :)

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments 😁😁Thank you for explaining Janny.
I was about to ask you when the stupid GR (pardon my language) conked off. And that too I was just writing a long reply to John on To Ride Hell's Chasm BR - which I have to start all over with again. (*sigh*)

And yes. It does make sense now! 😁

If you don't mind me asking. Where did you get the inspiration for the fabulous grandmother and the s'Brydion household. Their way of life and their personalities. I absolutely adored those!

message 39: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "😁😁Thank you for explaining Janny.
I was about to ask you when the stupid GR (pardon my language) conked off. And that too I was just writing a long reply to John on To Ride Hell's Chasm BR - which..."

Runnaway imagination and the rueful sort of wildcard humor that elderly ladies acquire when they don't have to give a damn.

message 40: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side note about this book, this arc, this series (in general) - you don't need to obsess over 'what you don't get' yet - it will all come clear as you read on...the first forerunning clues - you are MEANT to puzzle over them - they will be defined in due time. The forerunning clues you cannot see - you are not MEANT to see them, until: hindsight.

So all the right questions are being asked - the reveals to come will hit the harder because of them.

If a reader is obsessively controlling - HAS to know everything instantly - by now, the prior volumes (hopefully) will have engendered enough trust to rely on the intensity of the impact/that it will all be there when it comes to fruition.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you for the clue Janny. :)

I for one don't really want to know everything as soon as it happens but I am very worried at times that I miss little details and missunderstand stuff because of that. I've drawn quite a few bad conclusions in the beginning of the series and jumped to a lot of wrong assumptions and that made me be more circumspect.
By now I wonder how things really are and make my usual assumptions (less than before though :)) but don't hold them as fixed - I keep in mind the option that I may be wrong and patiently wait for the explanation.

For me, this wondering and searching for answers, then waiting to see if I guessed wrong makes this series that much more great. It keeps the characters and the story on my mind even after I finished reading my alloted daily chapters. And I don't remember doing it with any other book till now. This story sticks with me and it's characters don't want to leave me. It's like a little bit of magic to chase away the dreary days.
Thank you for writing it.

Olivia (vinjii) | 1087 comments I trust I’ll find out what I need to know with time. My problem is I’m not a native speaker and often am worried I miss things in complex prose due to English not being my first language and that worry makes me read twice. Which is why I always ask, did I not get it, or am I not yet supposed to get it. And which is also why I’ll re-read this series as soon as I can :)

message 43: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Thank you for the clue Janny. :)

I for one don't really want to know everything as soon as it happens but I am very worried at times that I miss little details and missunderstand stuff because of ..."

If this series was written for any one thing, it was to make you question your assumptions -- again and again and again. And the slow burn/detail is also doing as it was intended - pacing you so that it feels more like an experience/with all the impact that entails. It is a lucky break, here, that there is an audience for it that isn't so overanxious with rushing to let that sink in. In that regard, I am blessed. This is not a 'linear' story at all. Not everybody grasps that.

message 44: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Olivia wrote: "I trust I’ll find out what I need to know with time. My problem is I’m not a native speaker and often am worried I miss things in complex prose due to English not being my first language and that w..."

Sometimes it has been the non native speakers who have gotten the very most out of this series, believe it or not. And you have me, at the ready, to assist if you hit a word or phrase or section that you can't translate; I can spoiler tag for others who may not be where you are. Don't hesitate to ask. It's not the first time, and you won't have been the only one. It is I, in turn, who stand in awe of you....putting in the extra effort that native speakers sometimes won't. Just wow. That is something very special.

message 45: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Side note regarding Morriel/Selidie and the comment about necromancy normally being associated with 'evil' to do with the dead: take note. (view spoiler).

Daniel | 1536 comments Good Morning and thank you for the clarification Janny.

message 47: by Laura (last edited Jul 13, 2018 08:38AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Hi Janny

I know it's been a while from the time we finished this and we are just getting ready to start the next book, but I had forgotten to ask you about a little detail from the clash between Moriel and Asandir. Hope it's ok to ask now.

I am not sure if I understood it well. Asandir (view spoiler)

message 48: by Janny (new)

Janny (jannywurts) | 271 comments Laura wrote: "Hi Janny

I know it's been a while from the time we finished this and we are just getting ready to start the next book, but I had forgotten to ask you about a little detail from the clash between M..."

That's exactly right.

Laura (lauradragonchild) | 6217 comments Thank you Janny. :)

Choko (chokog) | 7751 comments Hi, Janny!

I have been reading the Grand Conspiracy, and since we were talking before about date inconsistencies, I wanted to let you know that in my Kindle edition, Ch. 4+5 say winter and late winter of 5654, but it should be 5653, since Ch. 6 is the wedding in spring 5654... Just a heads up (*_*)

I hope you are doing well! Best wishes!

« previous 1