Historical Mystery Lovers discussion

Featured Authors > Featured Author July 2018 - Andrea Penrose

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1712 comments Mod
Andrea Penrose is our featured author for June 2018

Feel free to make book suggestions in this thread.

Come and tell us which book you picked and once you've read it let us know what you thought of it (is it a new to you author, would you read her work again, etc.)

message 2: by Alice (new)

Alice | 642 comments I Murder on Black Swan Lane today. It is really good. Characters are very written and you just wan to learn more about them. Too bad I had to stop reading to make supper. I will keep you posted

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (lynnali) | 61 comments I read the first three Lady Arianna mysteries, but I did not really enjoy them. I thought I would, but alas, I was mistaken. I found the history a bit dodgy and conflicting with other, more well researched and respected books I had read on the subjects. While I appreciate using the South Seas Bubble and new science in a couple of them, the author obviously did not have enough of an understanding of the subjects to accurately describe them in a comprehensible manner to the readers. I probably won't read anything else by this author.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lynn wrote: "I found the history a bit dodgy and conflicting with other, more well researched and respected books I had read on the subjects."

Factual inaccuracies are a significant problem in historical fiction and can have a detrimental effect on enjoying the book.

message 5: by Alice (new)

Alice | 642 comments Alice wrote: "I Murder on Black Swan Lane today. It is really good. Characters are very written and you just wan to learn more about them. Too bad I had to stop reading to make supper. I will kee..."

I finished it and enjoyed it. Our two main Charlotte Wexford are interesting and their banter keeps the plot moving. I have put book 2 on my WL.

message 6: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 267 comments Alice wrote: "Alice wrote: "I Murder on Black Swan Lane today. It is really good. Characters are very written and you just wan to learn more about them. Too bad I had to stop reading to make supp..."

I'm the same way - I enjoyed the first one and the second is on request at the library.

There were elements of it that reminded me of Sebastian St Cyr - maybe it was the "Weasels" reminding me of Tom the Tiger or something else I can't quite put my finger on. But I liked it!

message 7: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 1206 comments Meghan wrote: "Alice wrote: "Alice wrote: "I Murder on Black Swan Lane today. It is really good. Characters are very written and you just wan to learn more about them. Too bad I had to stop readin..."

The cover is very like Sebastian St Cyr's, so the similarity be intentional.

message 8: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 427 comments I read Sweet Revenge but found it too dark for my personal tastes and Arianna too tough. I like a more genteel sort of drawing room story.

message 9: by Meghan (last edited Jul 17, 2018 10:43PM) (new)

Meghan | 267 comments "Sandy wrote: "The cover is very like Sebastian St Cyr's, so the similarity be intentional."

I hadn't noticed that but you're right!

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments Is there a thread where the current book is being discussed (Murder on Black Swan Lane)? Can’t seem to find it...Thanks!

message 11: by Lauren (new)

Hi Jessica,
You can post your comments about the book in this thread. Just be sure to use spoiler tags if you want to mention any specific details :)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 463 comments Lauren wrote: "Factual inaccuracies are a significant problem in historical fiction and can have a detrimental effect on enjoying the book."

Indeed - I catch one howler and I suddenly spend the rest of the book looking for more, not enjoying the read nearly as much.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 5 comments I enjoyed Murder on Black Swan Lane and will put #2 on my To Read list as others mentioned (haven’t figured out how to copy and past previous comments via the app on my iPhone). I would have liked to learn more about Wrexford’s past and think that would have helped to flesh out the story. I noticed that was mentioned by some reviewers on Goodreads too.

message 14: by Meghan (last edited Jul 30, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Meghan | 267 comments Finished Murder at Half Moon Gate today and I've really enjoyed this series! I'm hoping there is a #3 in the pipeline. Thanks to whoever recommended her for Author of the Month!