Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
This topic is about Castle in the Air
Previous BRs - Authors; I - L > Wynne Jones, Diana--Castle in the Air starts July 5, 2018

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31607 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Castle in the Air by Diana Wynne Jones.

Synopsis
In which a humble young carpet merchant wins, then loses, the princess of his dreams

Far to the south of the land of Ingary, in the Sultanates of Rashpuht, there lived in the city of Zanzib a young and not very prosperous carpet dealer named Abdullah who loved to spend his time daydreaming. He was content with his life and his daydreams until, one day, a stranger sold him a magic carpet.

That very night, the carpet flew him to an enchanted garden. There, he met and fell in love with the beauteous princess Flower-in-the-Night, only to have her snatched away, right under his very nose, by a wicked djinn. With only his magic carpet and his wits to help him, Abdullah sets off to rescue his princess....

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Elen | 1107 comments Can't wait to read it :)

Team Hermione Granger

message 5: by Laura (new) - added it

Laura | 3920 comments I read the first one too long ago. I would love to join in and read this one with you.

Team tom Riddle

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14770 comments Mod
I've wanted to read this for such a long time. I will try and make it :o

message 7: by Tina ❣ (new) - added it

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 1907 comments I'm in!

(Team Tonks)

Deanna | 2958 comments Yeah! Almost time to start. Team Flitwick here. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Ok, I just hurried and (finally) read Howl's Moving Castle, so I could get in on this buddy read :)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Amber wrote: "Ok, I just hurried and (finally) read Howl's Moving Castle, so I could get in on this buddy read :)"

Oh, and reporting from Team Flitwick...

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments Team Sprout.

ch 1- 2
(view spoiler)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Hopefully will be starting on this today, just have to finish A Princess of Mars first :P

Deanna | 2958 comments Started today reading chapters 1 - 5

Abdullah - (view spoiler)

Flower in the Night - (view spoiler)

The Djinn - (view spoiler)

Sultan - (view spoiler)

message 14: by Amber M. (last edited Jul 06, 2018 10:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments

Just finished Ch. 11. This probably won't be much of a spoiler, but of course I'll hide it anyway ;)

(view spoiler)

message 15: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Chapters 1 - 6
Unfortunately, right now I don't like this book so much like the last one.

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments Deanna wrote: "Started today reading chapters 1 - 5

Abdullah - [spoilers removed]

Flower in the Night - [spoilers removed]

The Djinn - [spoilers removed]

Sultan - [spoilers removed]"

Flower in the Night - (view spoiler)

The Djinn - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments ch 3 - 5

family (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments ch 6 -11

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments ch 12 - 14

Finally the story is starting to make some sense.
(view spoiler)

message 20: by Amber M. (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:15AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Finally, (view spoiler). Hoping to finish this today.

message 21: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Chapter 7 - 12

(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2958 comments Chapters 6 - 10

Abdullah - (view spoiler)

The soldier - (view spoiler)

The genie - (view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments ch 15 - 17

(view spoiler)

message 24: by Amber M. (last edited Jul 07, 2018 10:28PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments

Well, I guess that's that.
(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments ch 18 - end

I ended up liking this better than I thought I would at the half-way point. Things really pick up in the second half.

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments If anyone wants to BR the last book, I'm up for it. If I remember correctly, I liked it more than this one (but it has been a long time since I'd read them).

Deanna | 2958 comments Chapters 11 - 16

The cat and kitten - (view spoiler)

The djinn - (view spoiler)

The castle - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2958 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "If anyone wants to BR the last book, I'm up for it. If I remember correctly, I liked it more than this one (but it has been a long time since I'd read them)."

I'll finish this one tonight or tomorrow and would be up for a BR of the third. My library has one copy available at the slowest library for holds, so it will be Wednesday or Thursday before I can pick it up. WHen do you want to start?

Deanna | 2958 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 12 - 14

Finally the story is starting to make some sense.
So the djinn was the man who sold the carpet - I knew it! He claims to be good and being forced to steal princesses by his evil brother..."

(view spoiler)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "If anyone wants to BR the last book, I'm up for it. If I remember correctly, I liked it more than this one (but it has been a long time since I'd read them)."

I'll finish t..."

Maybe the 15th, since there is a BR of another DWJ book on the 12th? Plus that gives everyone time to finish this one if they are interested.

Deanna | 2958 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "If anyone wants to BR the last book, I'm up for it. If I remember correctly, I liked it more than this one (but it has been a long time since I'd read them)."..."

That works for me. I'll go make the request for it.

message 32: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Finished.
It was nice and easy to read. I liked it, but not so much as the previous book. Characters were well written and really interesting. The plot of the story was just okay.

(view spoiler)

Ughh, I wanted to read the 3rd book too, but my library doesn't have it yet, strange.

message 33: by Elen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elen | 1107 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "ch 15 - 17"

I know, right!
Also, I really like that previous characters are in this book too, that author connected them in the end :)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Deanna wrote: "Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "If anyone wants to BR the last book, I'm up for it. If I remember correctly, I liked it more than this one (but it has been a long tim..."

Thanks for making the request!

Deanna | 2958 comments Finished!

Elen and Diane, I agree. Having the previous characters turn up at the end and the way everything connected at the end was delightful. I thoroughly enjoyed the book and am looking forward to the next one.

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Yes, I definitely wasn't as impressed with this one as the first... but it was still a good read! I'd be up for Buddy Reading the next one too, if I can get a hold of it. I was also thinking about trying out her Derkholm or Magids books next...

Diane ~Firefly~ | 2238 comments Amber wrote: "Yes, I definitely wasn't as impressed with this one as the first... but it was still a good read! I'd be up for Buddy Reading the next one too, if I can get a hold of it. I was also thinking about ..."

We have a BR setup for Dark Lord of Derkholm setup for the 12th.

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 96 comments Diane ~Firefly~ wrote: "Amber wrote: "Yes, I definitely wasn't as impressed with this one as the first... but it was still a good read! I'd be up for Buddy Reading the next one too, if I can get a hold of it. I was also t..."

Oh, excellent! I'll go look for that.