Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

His Majesty's Dragon (Temeraire, #1)
This topic is about His Majesty's Dragon
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Novik, Naomi--His Majesty's Dragon informal buddy read starts July 12,2018

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31608 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik.

Synopsis
Aerial combat brings a thrilling new dimension to the Napoleonic Wars as valiant warriors ride mighty fighting dragons, bred for size or speed. When HMS Reliant captures a French frigate and seizes the precious cargo, an unhatched dragon egg, fate sweeps Captain Will Laurence from his seafaring life into an uncertain future – and an unexpected kinship with a most extraordinary creature. Thrust into the rarified world of the Aerial Corps as master of the dragon Temeraire, he will face a crash course in the daring tactics of airborne battle. For as France’s own dragon-borne forces rally to breach British soil in Bonaparte’s boldest gambit, Laurence and Temeraire must soar into their own baptism of fire.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

Lexi | 3103 comments I'm in. I have read Uprooted but none of her other books.

Leah Hester | 18 comments WOOT! I'm excited. I recently came across this series and am looking forward to reading it

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm in!

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments I'm in

message 8: by Shelby (last edited Jul 09, 2018 02:05PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments I'm in for sure! I've got this on my list to re-read this month. :) I haven't read it in years. But I loved it and I want to get current on the series.

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments Lexi wrote: "I'm in. I have read Uprooted but none of her other books."

OMG. I never even put it together that these were the same author! I've had Uprooted on my TBR for awhile and been meaning to get to it, but I read this series ages ago and it never clicked with me that they were the same author.

Karishma (karishmanewar) When are we starting this?

I have just finished Uprooted and currently reading Spinning Silver!

message 11: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments I started this yesterday and read the first chapter.

Karishma (karishmanewar) Lexi wrote: "I started this yesterday and read the first chapter."

Great I will start too then!

Are you listening or reading?

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments I just finish ch 1-2. I am finding this very enjoyable. Laurence is an admirable MC, tough when needed, intelligent, self-assured, ethical and sympathetic. Temeraire seems very intelligent right out of the egg, also curious and eager to learn, but not mean-spirited.

message 14: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Karishma wrote: "Lexi wrote: "I started this yesterday and read the first chapter."

Are you listening or reading?"

I am reading. You?

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments Great. Glad you guys are starting. I probably won't get to it until tomorrow. But I'm definitely on board. :)

Deanna | 2959 comments I'm in! I got the book downloaded today and will start tomorrow.

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments Deanna wrote: "I'm in! I got the book downloaded today and will start tomorrow."

Deanna - Don't know if you saw, but they got our thread set up for Discovery of Witches. Want to just start that one when we finish this one? :)

Karishma (karishmanewar) Lexi wrote: "Karishma wrote: "Lexi wrote: "I started this yesterday and read the first chapter."

Are you listening or reading?"

I am reading. You?"

Reading too! But slowly, I mismanaged and now I have 3 BR's going on simultaneously!

message 19: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments I am half way done and also doing three BRs right now but one is an ongoing one due to it being a slow book.

(view spoiler)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments finished ch 3
(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2959 comments Shelby wrote: "Deanna wrote: "I'm in! I got the book downloaded today and will start tomorrow."

Deanna - Don't know if you saw, but they got our thread set up for Discovery of Witches. Want to just start that on..."

I'll probably just read a bit of each since we others doing both BRs as well.

Deanna | 2959 comments Finished part one this evening (Chapters 1 - 3)

Laurence - (view spoiler)

Temeraire - (view spoiler)

The air corps - (view spoiler)

message 23: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Finished.

I enjoyed the book as a whole and will read the next one, though not immediately. The only other book I had read by this author was Uprooted, which was written 10 years later so it is clear that the author's voice matures and I look forward to seeing that occur across the series. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Linda C (last edited Jul 13, 2018 10:10PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments ch 4-5
Am loving Temeraire and Laurence's bond. BFFs

(view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments I'd forgotten how much I loved this book! It's just so well written. I got so wrapped up I'm already halfway through.

(view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments And done! There was no way I was putting this down and stopping. I'd forgotten so many of the details of this story only remembering broad sweeping ideas.

(view spoiler)

Altogether this still holds up as one of my favorite books and I can't wait to continue the series.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments ch 6-9
This is such a different book from any other dragon story I have read. Really loving the characters and the various dragons.

(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2959 comments Part two - Chapters 4 - 8

Laurence - (view spoiler)

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 820 comments ch 10-finish
(view spoiler)

Deanna | 2959 comments Finished!

Battle - (view spoiler)

Overall, a great story! 5 stars for me.

Deanna | 2959 comments Linda C wrote: "ch 10-finish..."

RE: Temeraire - (view spoiler)

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments Deanna wrote: "Linda C wrote: "ch 10-finish..."

RE: Temeraire - [spoilers removed]"

I agree. He's such a unique mind. He views things so differently, but always makes you think about things. :)

message 33: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Anyone interested in the next one?

Deanna | 2959 comments Lexi wrote: "Anyone interested in the next one?"

I'm happy to read the next one. When would you be interested in starting?

Shelby (stang_lee) | 1195 comments I'd definitely be in as well. :)

message 36: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Shelby wrote: "I'd definitely be in as well. :)"
I'm good pretty much whenever. I would need to request it from the library but Boston tends to be fairly quick. Do you want to wait and see how long TT is extended?

Deanna | 2959 comments How about the middle of next week? Either 7/24 or 7/25?

message 38: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Deanna wrote: "How about the middle of next week? Either 7/24 or 7/25?"

I'm waiting on my copy but should have it by then. Do you want to request the BR?

Deanna | 2959 comments Lexi wrote: "Deanna wrote: "How about the middle of next week? Either 7/24 or 7/25?"

I'm waiting on my copy but should have it by then. Do you want to request the BR?"

Requested for the 24th.

message 40: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments Great, thanks

JanEyre9 Joining in for Team McGonagall,

Just started today, the audio is great so far. I love that Temeraire speaks, usually dragons are wild beasts in fantasy books so this is a nice change.

message 42: by Lexi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lexi | 3103 comments JanEyre9 wrote: "Joining in for Team McGonagall,

Just started today, the audio is great so far. I love that Temeraire speaks, usually dragons are wild beasts in fantasy books so this is a nice change."

Hope you enjoy it. I just started book 2 today.

JanEyre9 Ooh it must be good then! I'm towards the beginning of Part 2, I really like it so far. I love the relationship between Temeraire, and Laurence. Sigh, I want to fly like that.

JanEyre9 Part 4 - the harness (view spoiler)

JanEyre9 Shelby wrote: "I'd forgotten how much I loved this book! It's just so well written. I got so wrapped up I'm already halfway through.

I just adore Temeraire. He's such a unique personality and his bond with Laur..."

I want to give Levitas a hug!

Karishma (karishmanewar) I want to give Levitas a hug too!

JanEyre9 Finished! I loved the battle and Temeraire is such an incredible character. I enjoyed hearing his opinions and theories and seeing his complete loyalty to Laurence. (view spoiler)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

His Majesty's Dragon (other topics)
Uprooted (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Naomi Novik (other topics)