Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Dragon Teeth
This topic is about Dragon Teeth
Previous BRs - Authors; A - D > Crichton, Michael- Dragon Teeth informal buddy reads starts July 2, 2018

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31642 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss Dragon Teeth by Michael Crichton.

The year is 1876. Warring Indian tribes still populate America’s western territories even as lawless gold-rush towns begin to mark the landscape. In much of the country it is still illegal to espouse evolution. Against this backdrop two monomaniacal paleontologists pillage the Wild West, hunting for dinosaur fossils, while surveilling, deceiving and sabotaging each other in a rivalry that will come to be known as the Bone Wars.

Into this treacherous territory plunges the arrogant and entitled William Johnson, a Yale student with more privilege than sense. Determined to survive a summer in the west to win a bet against his arch-rival, William has joined world-renowned paleontologist Othniel Charles Marsh on his latest expedition. But when the paranoid and secretive Marsh becomes convinced that William is spying for his nemesis, Edwin Drinker Cope, he abandons him in Cheyenne, Wyoming, a locus of crime and vice. William is forced to join forces with Cope and soon stumbles upon a discovery of historic proportions. With this extraordinary treasure, however, comes exceptional danger, and William’s newfound resilience will be tested in his struggle to protect his cache, which pits him against some of the West’s most notorious characters.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

res

message 4: by Leah (new)

Leah Hester | 18 comments WOOT

message 5: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) I'm in!

message 6: by Mary C (last edited Jun 22, 2018 06:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I'm in from Team Minerva.

Deanna | 2966 comments I'm in from team Flitwick, picked the book up yesterday and am looking forward to starting.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I probably won't start until tomorrow so I can finish another buddy read tonight instead. I have both on audio so I'll finish the one tonight and start this one tomorrow. If I can get up early enough to walk the dog before the heat and humidity ramp up.

Deanna | 2966 comments Read through page 60 covering time up through Cheyenne today.

It reads almoat like a biography, which I wasn't expecting, but makes a nice change of pace.

Johnson - (view spoiler)

Marsh - (view spoiler)

Cope - (view spoiler)

Deanna | 2966 comments Up to page 118, next chapter is "Bad Water"

Cope - (view spoiler)

The fossils - (view spoiler)

Johnson - (view spoiler)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I am on my phone and can’t read anyone’s spoiler tags. I just started this. So I am the type to google everyone real in a book. I can’t find The right William Johnson. Was he fictional? It’s a very common name and there’s s several that were very prominent men.

And my gosh was Marsh paranoid or what? I want to look up books on the Bone Wars.

Deanna | 2966 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I am on my phone and can’t read anyone’s spoiler tags. I just started this. So I am the type to google everyone real in a book. I can’t find The right William Johnson. Was he fictional? It’s a very..."

Yes, Johnson is fictional. I wondered about him too and came across this article.

Marsh was most definitely paranoid. I am also tempted to look for books on the Bone Wars. Currently the size of my to read stack is keeping me in check, but maybe in a few weeks.

message 13: by Mary C (last edited Jul 04, 2018 10:33AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Deanna, I was thinking the same thing about Johnson and the prostitute in Cheyenne. He had no idea what she really was.

That makes sense that Johnson is fictional. But really, he couldn't pick a less common name?

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments How is everyone liking the book? I'm about halfway through already. It's entertaining. To me it's kind of crazy that even as recent as the late 19th century, we really had no idea that dinosaurs has once walked the earth. I know that time is not really that recent, but if you look at how long humans have been on the planet, the age of the planet and the advances we had made by then, it blows my mind that no giant fossils had been found and studied earlier.

Deanna | 2966 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "How is everyone liking the book? I'm about halfway through already. It's entertaining. To me it's kind of crazy that even as recent as the late 19th century, we really had no idea that dinosaurs ha..."

I'm really enjoying it. It does a great job of making history come alive.

I'm just over halfway now. I finished part two and am going to save part three until tomorrow when I'll have time to read it all at once since it looks to be the most interesting section of the book.

The dig - (view spoiler)

Marsh - (view spoiler)

Johnson - (view spoiler)

message 16: by Mary C (last edited Jul 05, 2018 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Deanna:

Johnson: (view spoiler)

Marsh: I was thinking the same thing.

Deanna | 2966 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Deanna:

Johnson: [spoilers removed]

Marsh: I was thinking the same thing."

That part about his mother bothered me too. I'm hoping for a different outcome than it seems to indicate.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments What happened to everyone else in this BR?

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I finished this morning. This was my first Crichton and if I hadn't known it was an unfinished book published posthumously, I would not be impressed. I mean, it wasn't bad, it was quite enjoyable but felt really unfinished for obvious reasons. Makes me wonder why he never went back to it and polished up and finished the book. I wonder if he just lost interest or thought it wouldn't be a hit?

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments And was I the only one picturing Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp?

Deanna | 2966 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "What happened to everyone else in this BR?"

No idea. Thanks for joining me.

Deanna | 2966 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I finished this morning. This was my first Crichton and if I hadn't known it was an unfinished book published posthumously, I would not be impressed. I mean, it wasn't bad, it was quite enjoyable b..."

It enjoyed it as well, but it did have an unfinished quality. It's a shame he didn't go back and polish it.

Deanna | 2966 comments Finished! Final thoughts...

Emily / Miranda - (view spoiler)

The bet - (view spoiler)

Overall, an entertaining if a bit unpolished story. I'm glad it was published posthumously. I'm sure it would have been even better if Crichton had finished it.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments I loved that part with settling the bet at the end. I wanted Johnson to go into detail to shock them all.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Deanna wrote: "Up to page 118, next chapter is "Bad Water"

Cope - [spoilers removed]

The fossils - [spoilers removed]

Johnson - [spoilers removed]"

I agree with your interpretation of Cope.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I finished this morning. This was my first Crichton and if I hadn't known it was an unfinished book published posthumously, I would not be impressed. I mean, it wasn't bad, it was quite enjoyable b..."

I agree. I went into the read anticipating standard Michael Crichton novel especially with the cover. It was an interesting story and was one I knew about from other books so it was fun to get another take on the story.

Jammin Jenny (jamminjenny) | 4149 comments Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I loved that part with settling the bet at the end. I wanted Johnson to go into detail to shock them all."

I know I loved that part too.

Apoorv  Moghe (goodreadscomapoorv) | 1172 comments Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Parts 1-2; Chapters 1-14

Very similar to what Deanna mentioned earlier in the thread, the biographical side of the book is really surprising me. I am almost always wary when I read prominent names in a work of fiction, because everything mentioned then either becomes too serious and real, or just plain out-in-the-left field. I had a similar experience, albeit not so positive, with The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared wherein bucket loads of famous names were littered all over, to all end up making no sense and making the proceedings unnecessarily phantasmagorical. So, hopefully that's not the case here.

Having said that, things are pretty intriguing thus far. I keep forgetting that the era is 1876 and things that we take for granted in today's day and age were not even thought of back then. Its amazing to read about popular cities like Salt Lake City, Utah and Cheyenne, Wyoming described the way they have. The west truly was wild until so recently, and the book thus far has managed to capture that essence very nicely.

I am not particularly attracted or distracted by Johnson. His naivete with Lucile seemed a little off-base, given how arrogant and smug he came across through the first few pages. But, a decent MC so far.
Both the professors are certainly basket-cases though! Geez! I'd hate to go out on that expedition with any of them.

Deanna | 2966 comments Apoorv wrote: "Team Gilderoy Lockhart
Parts 1-2; Chapters 1-14

Very similar to what Deanna mentioned earlier in the thread, the biographical side of the book is really surprising me. I am almost always wary when..."

I am big Wild West period reader, but I thought he did a good job of working in historical figures in a way that seemed reasonable to me. Johnson, happily, does mature over the story. The professors are another story.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Apoorv: I had similar feelings with Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. Lots of real people in there in a fictional story. Makes you wonder how much was truth that paranormal stuff (in that book) was added to for entertainment and how much was historical fact.

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5279 comments Now I do want to read some actual non-fiction related to the Bone Wars.

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2480 comments Part 1

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Donna (last edited Jul 27, 2018 11:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2480 comments Part 2

(view spoiler)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 2480 comments Part 3

(view spoiler)

Overall, this book wasn't one of my favorites. It just dragged on for me. The small section with the Earp brothers wasn't horrible and only because I enjoy reading about historical people like the Earp brothers. This book just wasn't for me.