Play Book Tag discussion

June 2018: Magical Realism > Practical Magic - Alice Hoffman (4 stars)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments This was a lovely fit for the monthly tag - my first Hoffman book and it won’t be my last.

Sally and Gillian, two very different sisters, are orphaned young and raised by their great-aunts. Known as ‘the witch girls’, their childhoods are isolated - each ends up running away into her own world, trying in vain to find happiness. It’s only when they face up to who they are that resolution is possible. A story about love, passion, obsession, jealousy and loss.

I really enjoyed Hoffman’s writing style - some beautiful turns of phrase, sketching characters and emotions in careful, spare brushstrokes

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Great review! I read the Dovekeepers and love it. I also love her writing style and have a list of her books that I want to read. This is on my list.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9337 comments I think for lighter fare for Alice Hoffman, that somewhere between young adults and historical fiction, I would go with faithful and or the third angel.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments I ♥ this book, I own a copy... I even own the movie, which I have watched several time and which I think is better than the book....

message 5: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2666 comments I haven’t seen the movie yet, but will look out for it (maybe it will be available on the plane to New York next week if I am lucky!!)

I have had Skylight Confessions on the shelf for ages but haven’t got round to it - have any of you read it?

The Dovekeepers does look interesting - fascinating history. Thanks for the review on it :) I’m not much for a spiritual focus in books, usually, but it sounds like the context for the story would make it entirely appropriate