Creepy Book Club discussion

Welcome!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatrice1983) | 4 comments It's not like I need another distraction in my life, but I simply had to join this group. I love reading anything horror and thriller and sometimes some mystery. I usually don't read many new releases, I try to catch up on some older material.

The last horror book I have finished has been Gerald's Game, but I haven't watched the Netflix film yet. Some Mornings I lay in bed and fantasize about getting fired from my job, just so I can catch up on my reading for a couple months. Of course, if that would really happen I would be shocked, but oh man... I would get some serious reading done.

:op

message 2: by NightmareMaven (new)

NightmareMaven | 257 comments Mod
I heard Gerald's Game was interesting to read...isn't it lots of stream-of-consciousness type stuff?

message 3: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice (beatrice1983) | 4 comments It kinda is some of that, but written in a way where I never found it boring. The middle part drags a bit, but the ending holds in a good punch. It certainly isn't my favorite King, but I didn't feel disappointed.

message 4: by C.J. (new)

C.J. Wright (cjwrightbooks) | 2 comments I had no interest in reading Gerald's Game until I watched the Netflix movie adaptation. Though a lot of Stephen King adaptations can be hit-or-miss, I really enjoyed it. Now I've just got to pick up a copy of the book and see how it compares.

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Hi all! I love reading anything creepy or horror related. I am also a zombie apocalypse junkie. ;-) I just finished reading book 1 in the Meg series by Steve Alten. It was really good and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time! I wanted to read the series before watching the movie that's coming out next week. I am currently reading The Trench (book 2 in the Meg series), Fall of Night by Jonathan Maberry, and The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. Thanks for having me and looking forward to some creepy discussions! :-D

message 6: by Krystal (last edited Aug 04, 2018 07:42PM) (new)

Krystal | 13 comments I just joined the patreon a few days ago and joined the book club (I'm known as Krystal Kingston on there). I read a lot but am a little embarrassed because I read mostly teen or young adult paranormal fluff (even though I'm way too old and find most of it boring). I like horror fiction as well but when Hastings (used book/movie store, etc) went out of business years ago I bought hundreds of what I was in to at the time so I'm still going through those. Plus, I'm a high school teacher so I get tired of reading that requires using much of my brain.

I'm looking forward to getting some horror suggestions and being part of an actual book club because my antisocial personality leads me to not interact with people in real life that much unless they are high schoolers in my classes. Just got a Kindle and bought Meddling Kids so I'm working on that now and am enjoying it so far.

Thanks Nightmare Maven.

message 7: by NightmareMaven (new)

Vickie wrote: "Hi all! I love reading anything creepy or horror related. I am also a zombie apocalypse junkie. ;-) I just finished reading book 1 in the Meg series by Steve Alten. It was really good and kept me o..."

Hi, Vickie!!! I'm glad to hear you liked The Meg, I'm currently trying to speed read it before the movie XD Let me know how the second one is! Also, Ocean at the End of the Lane is one of my favorites, great choice!!!

message 8: by NightmareMaven (new)

Krissy wrote: "I just joined the patreon a few days ago and joined the book club (I'm known as Krystal Kingston on there). I read a lot but am a little embarrassed because I read mostly teen or young adult parano..."

Ghoul, you are a kindred spirit LOL I read a lot of YA fiction, too. Ain't nothing wrong with that!! And what do you teach??

message 9: by Krystal (new)

Krystal | 13 comments I teach biology and physics now but I also can teach chemistry when they need someone for overflow classes. So I definitely need the fun and easy mindless sort of reading! I really am liking Meddling Kids so far. I also want to read The Meg but I know there is no way I can get through it before the movie. I'm so glad you are into reading. It's not as easy to find horror junkies that like reading as much as movies. I'm excited to have a list of books to read for this club. I think that deciding them in advance is a good idea.

message 10: by NightmareMaven (new)

Krissy wrote: "I teach biology and physics now but I also can teach chemistry when they need someone for overflow classes. So I definitely need the fun and easy mindless sort of reading! I really am liking Meddli..."
I know, right?? That's why I started the group on here, so I could hang out with all you horror fans who also like to read :) I'm glad you like the idea! I think it will be easier that way and more convenient for everybody!

message 11: by NightmareMaven (new)

Patience wrote: "Hi y’all! I’m a loser who had to drop out of college for financial reasons and now have a shitty full time factory job. I watch horror movies all the time, especially when I’m not feeling well or m..."
Hi, Patience!! Welcome, we're happy to have you here! I can understand financial struggles very well, and I can ESPECIALLY understand working in a job you hate (I am in the same boat). I guess that's why I love horror movies and books so much, I can escape my reality for a while. Regardless, you are in good company here :) And I have There's Someone in Your House on my To-Read list!! Please let me know what you think of it when you finish!

message 12: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) NightmareMaven wrote: "Vickie wrote: "Hi all! I love reading anything creepy or horror related. I am also a zombie apocalypse junkie. ;-) I just finished reading book 1 in the Meg series by Steve Alten. It was really goo..."

Finished the second Meg book, The Trench. Wow, just as good as the first! Kept me turning the pages and didn't want to put it down. Definitely recommend. Now on to the third! >:-D

message 13: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) Chaitra wrote: "hey y'all I recently discovered my love for horrors and I thot id join which is proactive nd open :) So im Chaitra from India. I love Stephen King and James Herbert horror fiction. I'm into classic..."

Hi Chaitra! I love classics too, and collect them. To Kill a Mockingbird and The Old Man and the Sea are my top two favorites. :-) Stephen King is great. I enjoy reading his son's work too, Joe Hill.

message 14: by aZuuL (new)

aZuuL | 15 comments Hi all !

In my teens and young adult life, I used to devour books. But for the last decade or so not so much. I'm fond of horror and thrillers. Some of my favorite writers are: Koontz, King, Straub, Graham Masterton, James Herbert, Preston & Child, Jeremy Bates, ...

message 15: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hey Chaitra!!! It's nice to meet you, welcome to the book club!!! And hey aZuuL!!! Nice to see you here! I'm happy to have you both!

message 16: by Sunday (new)

Sunday (sundaylou) Hello Everyone! I was an avid reader in my teens. Then life and technology absorbed all of my free reading time. Now, in my late twenties, I have fallen back in (reading) love. Thriller/mystery/crime have always been favorite genres of mine. Koontz, King and Straub were definite old favorites of mine and I am very excited to discover others with this group.

I'm not sure that I will be able to read the current book (currently working on a couple others from the library), but I will be on board for September's pick!

message 17: by NightmareMaven (new)

Sunday wrote: "Hello Everyone! I was an avid reader in my teens. Then life and technology absorbed all of my free reading time. Now, in my late twenties, I have fallen back in (reading) love. Thriller/mystery/cri..."
Happy to have you, Sunday! Welcome! No worries if you can't get to the August book in time! I'll announce the rest of the books for 2018 at the end of this week, so you'll be able to get your hands on the Sept book in time :)

message 18: by Hafsa (new)

Hafsa | 1 comments Hello, my name is Hafsa and I just joined this club. I became a goodread member just today (haha).. I'm a highschool student and am totally OBSESSED with horror and mystery!! I hope you guys can share some spooky books for all those horror-lovers out there to enjoy, just like myself. Looking forward to having an amazing time here! Thank you and nice to meet you all!

message 19: by NightmareMaven (new)

Welcome to our new members! I'm very happy to have y'all here!

message 20: by Emma (new)

Emma (spookyastronauts) | 1 comments Hi I have no idea whats going on or how to use this site.
I'm following along with the audiobook as I'm time poor and smarts poor :D

message 21: by NightmareMaven (new)

OMG!!!! EMMMMAAAA!!!!!

claire (horroradorer) | 7 comments Aw Emma and Vicky are both here :) haha the horror fam is complete now

message 23: by Megan (new)

Megan | 3 comments Hi Everyone! Just joined the group today :) once I am finished my current book (the Chalk Man) my next read will be the Exorcist.
Looking forward to reading all sorts of spooky books!

message 24: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hey Megan!!!! Happy you're here!!

message 25: by Connel (new)

Connel Braund (badgerspank) | 1 comments Hello all, nice to meet you, not a big reader but I'm trying to change that. Looking forward to reading some creepy books with you all :)

message 26: by NightmareMaven (new)

Oh we will definitely try and help you change that!!! Welcome!! Happy you're here!!!

message 27: by Nikky (new)

Nikky | 6 comments This is a year late but a response to Vickies post about zombie apocalypse books, have you read the Feed series by Mira Grant? I read the first one Feed and I found the rest. I enjoyed Feed a lot!

message 28: by milda (new)

milda Hello, i'm new here, i'm Nie, a french librarian in Paris. I was interested joining this group because i'm working on a specific dark/weird/magical realism genre (well working is a big word, so far, i'm just reading thing that fits this genre) and though maybe some of you would have books to rec.
Here the list i've made so far : https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1... and here is the description of the list: "The point of this list is to document what seems to be a new genre, written by women, half new weird half magical realism, strong atmosphere, frequently using myths and fairytales to explore the depht of subconsious. The writting might be more or less experimental. These books might also have feminist vibe, exploration of mental illness, dynamic of abuse in relationship, queer characters and questioning of gender.
I think we can trace back this kind of books with Charlotte Perkins Gilman, Virginia Woolf or Christina Rossetti.
"
Lately, i've found a lot of other books that seems to fit my criterias, that i haven't read nor add to the list yet, but feel free to add books if you're inspired.

Also, english isn't my firt langage, so i'm sorry for any mistakes/weird french words in my messages

message 29: by Natai (new)

Natai 'Tali' Topliff (talis-library) | 12 comments Hi guys, I am going to join after finding NightmareMaven recently and looking her content. I've picked up the Changeling from my library and am going to try and pick up the exorcist if I have time next month

message 30: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hi, Natali and WELCOME!!!!

message 31: by Sinéad (new)

Sinéad | 1 comments Hello everyone! Nice to meet you!
I'm happy I found this group.

Horror is my favorite genre (along with dystopias), but I prefer the supernatural side of it: ghosts, witches, curses, vampires (the non-sparkling kind) and creepy children. Gore and torture are not my thing.
Some of my favorite books are
Suffer the Children by Craig DiLouie,
The Girl with all the Gifts by M. R. Carey and
The Sleep Room by F. R. Tallis.

I'm excited to join one of your read-alongs! You have already read several books on my TBR list, but I'm sure I'll find one I'm interested in.

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Soucy | 1 comments Hello, everyone! I'm an indie author and a lifelong horror fan. I love discussing the genre and just wanted to sign up with some like-minded folk. I'm a huge fan of supernatural horror, but I love all sorts of fiction genres so long as they're dark. Looking forward to chatting with you all:)

message 33: by NightmareMaven (new)

Sinead! Jennifer! Welcome!

I hope y'all are staying safe and healthy during this crazy time!

message 34: by Jen (new)

Jen | 27 comments Hi! My name is Jen. Yesterday, I found Nightmare Maven on YouTube, when I saw the video comparing Black Swan and Mother! with Spooky Astronauts. I really enjoyed watching the discussion and then I noticed that Nightmare Maven had a book club! I love horror stories and basically none of my family or friends enjoys them as much as I do. So great to find a book club filled with like-minded readers who enjoy creepy books!!!!

message 35: by Aeryn (new)

Aeryn | 1 comments Hello everyone! I am so excited to find this group. I am a huge horror fan and enjoy discussing the genre. I look forward to getting to know y'all and reading some great horror books together!

message 36: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hi Jen and Aeryn!!! I'm super happy you're here!!!

message 37: by Megan (new)

Megan (meganphyre) I'm new here. Absolutely love horror everything. I felt like I'd run out of quality movies and took up reading about a year and half ago. I'm looking forward to speaking with people about my reads and joining group reads! I'm late on devil aspect but I want to read it so I'm starting now!

message 38: by Jen (new)

Jen | 27 comments Hi Megan! Hope you enjoy the book!

message 39: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hiya Megan!! Happy to have you here! I'm a little behind on June's book, too LOL so don't worry!

message 40: by Brandon (new)

Brandon (brandonameacham) | 3 comments I'm really sorry everyone, but I had to DNF June's 2020 pick. I cannot get into it and if I or anyone feels should feel if you force yourself to read something you're not enjoying, you're not enjoying it.

message 41: by Jen (new)

Jen | 27 comments Totally agree! Life is too short to read a book you don't enjoy!

message 42: by Harley (new)

Harley Dean (hazzydean) | 1 comments hi guys, I'm not good at introductions haha

message 43: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Hi all, I'm Mikki from Australia
Love reading all the horror and thriller books lately, it's become an obsession! I can't wait till November when we all read Baby Teeth, I just got it last week so will be saving that one now :)
Feel free to add me as a friend and throw all your recommendations my way, I wish to get a good collection going and fill up the many bookcases we own with all the juicy horrors of the world!

message 44: by NightmareMaven (new)

Hi everyone who has joined recently!! Glad you're all here....we almost have 300 members!! WHAT??

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes I’m a Boomer but I love my horror novels. Mostly those that can be referred to Extreme Horror. I even enjoy splatterpunk on occasion. Hello to one and all. I thank you.
Joekolorado

message 46: by Angelena (new)

Angelena (drimagirl12) | 1 comments Hi, everyone! I'm Angelena from New York and I'm so glad I found this group. I've always loved the horror genre in general, but lately I've realized that while I've really wanted to delve deeper into the genre, I honestly haven't done a great job of it. Haha! I'm hoping being a part of this group will help me expand my reading further.

message 47: by NightmareMaven (new)

Welcome everyone!! We're almost at 400 members in this group, which is CRAZY!!!

I'm so happy you all are here to enjoy some creepy books with me! Since we're growing way faster than I imagined, if y'all have any suggestions on how to make the group better please let me know! Whether it's about the discussion threads, book choices, etc. You can leave any comments/criticism here or my email is always open: nightmaremaven@gmail.com

xx Maven

message 48: by Ruri (new)

Ruri | 1 comments Hello! I'm Ruth from Argentina. I don't know when I joined the club but I was looking for book recommendations on Maven's channel and I realized about this club so I'm here..These past two years I've been mostly into horror, but I like other genres and I'm always in for a classic or any other well-written book so I hope to share readings and words with you!

message 49: by Chrissi (new)

Chrissi | 4 comments Hi everyone :) I'm new too
My name is Chrissi, I'm from Wales, and I loooooove creepy books.
I can't wait to get stuck into recommendations and (hopefully) join in with a group read! Abandon was already on my most want to read list so fingers crossed, haha

message 50: by NightmareMaven (new)

Welcome Joseph!!!

« previous 1