The Great American Read discussion

The list, other books, movies > Favorite Quotes from the Great American Read list

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
When you find a great quote from one of these books, please post it here.

message 2: by Paula (new)

Paula From The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time:
"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? and I found my mother and I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything."

Christopher and the way he talks will make you want to go back and read a sentence or a whole paragraph over again. He's quite engaging.

message 3: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
From 1984:

There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad.

message 4: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Paula wrote: "From The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time:"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? and I fou..."

This makes me want to read this book again.

message 5: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

J. wrote: "From 1984:

There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad."

great choice.

message 6: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie “If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

message 7: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie “Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.”
― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie “Our people are good people; our people are kind people. Pray God some day kind people won't all be poor.”
― John Steinbeck, The Grapes of Wrath

message 9: by Joy, Your Obedient Servant (new)

Joy (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
From Gulliver's Travels:

the thirst I had of seeing the world, notwithstanding my past misfortunes, continuing as violent as ever.

message 10: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Paula wrote: "From The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time:"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Wellington? and I fou..."

Reminds me of my students..........:)

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda  | 915 comments Bonnie wrote: "“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire"

That's a nice quote/sentiment, but at the same time, my mind immediately goes to "What does she mean by one person being superior to another?"....

message 12: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie J. wrote: "From 1984:

There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad."

True for when it was written, for 1984, and for now.

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Paula wrote: "From The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time:"And I know I can do this because I went to London on my own, and because I solved the mystery of Who Killed Welling..."

I also work with many students with autism, which may be why I loved this book and vote for it often.

message 14: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's a nice quote/s..."

Probably a better way of wording it (I have also read, see how people treat their servers.) It was a character quote, though, I think, not an author quote.

message 15: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Jul 07, 2018 09:28PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Bonnie wrote: "“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

That's a nice quote/s..."

It's not about who is better, but who has more status, power, or authority. Someone who is really superior, won't treat others as though they are inferior.

When I was responsible for hiring people for a company, the receptionist always told us if someone was really rude to her, and it counted against them. People like that are toxic to an organization's culture and they're bad for business.