Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes 2017-2018 > Half Year Report?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments So we are almost at the half year mark, and I'm wondering how people are feeling about their 2018 reading so far. Are you on pace for your personal goals? How many books have you read so far? Best book? Worst book? Any DNFs?

Basically, I'm just curious how 2018 is going for us as a group so far!

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2327 comments So far it has been a very good reading year for me.
I have finished 4 of 5 challenges that are not ongoing.
I have read 59 books which is 14 ahead of schedule.
Best book? Probably This is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel
Worst book? (Sorry people) Lolita - by Vladimir Nabokov
No DNF's yet.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2098 comments This year is going great for me. I'm loving this group and the diversity of books I'm reading.

I have read 77 books. 31 ahead of schedule.

I have read a book for every tag and every decathlon. I have 2 left to read for listopia and 4 to read for my century challenge.

The best book I've read is Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood - Trevor Noah

The worst is Confessions - Augustine of Hippo

This year, I have almost as many 4 star and I do 3 star reads and no 1 star reads.

I have no DNF.

message 4: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 1663 comments So far so good!! I've enjoyed my year thus far and the diversity of what I've read.

I've read 71 books towards my year goal of 100.

Even though I didn't find/join this group until March, I've caught up on the decathlon challenge and have done the tags since I've joined until this moth, because well... magical realism. I have 15 days to go... I'll read something... but I've been reading more for fun this month.

I have one book to go on Listopia.

My favorite book was probably The Book Thief although Ready Player One was a close 2nd.

My least favorite was Love in the Time of Cholera followed by The Geeks' Guide to World Domination: Be Afraid, Beautiful People

I'm too OCD about finishing books to have a DNF. I have books that have been in progress for a really long time but I don't have a single DNF.

message 5: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 219 comments Ive read nearly 50 books, audiobooks, graphic novels, and short stories so far. I think I've crammed so many in because starting next week through September I'll be doing a second, temporary job that will take up all my time. I bet once that's over I'll pick up the pace again though!

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Are you on pace for your personal goals? I am happy with my reading this year even though I am behind my pace of last year.

How many books have you read so far? I have read 16 books so far and I am two books behind schedule.

Best book? I have had two 5 star reads this year; Survival in Auschwitz by Primo Levi and Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang.

Worst book? The Sun Also Rises by Hemingway. I only gave it two stars. I just didn't like the book.

Any DNFs? Coroner by Thomas Noguchi. I only wanted to read the coroner report on Marilyn Monroe since I just finished Blonde by Joyce Carol Oats. It was an interesting book and I may finish it someday.

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments Jason wrote: "This year is going great for me. I'm loving this group and the diversity of books I'm reading.

I have read 77 books. 31 ahead of schedule.

I have read a book for every tag and every decathlon. ..."

My son is currently reading Born a Crime for his summer reading. I think he is enjoying it. He said he likes the essay format.

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I'm doing great, right on track for my goal of 666 books.
More importantly, I'm reading a *lot* of the dusty paper books off my shelves and getting them out of my house... and that means that a lot of them are actually DNFs (or have low ratings) (because if they had actually appealed to me more, I would have made time to read them earlier!).

I've a few five star reads for the year (I really should be using the Other Books reporting thread, sorry). But of the dusty books, I think the one worth mentioning here, that some of you might be interested in, is War for the Oaks by Emma Bull. Proto urban fantasy is one way to describe it, but it's too literary to be lumped with pulp genre... but it's also fun, funny, exciting.... check it out!

message 9: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2668 comments I’m having a much better year than the last couple - 51 books logged (goal was 52) with a nice mixture of light and silly, and genuinely good. My other challenges are on track too. I’m horribly behind with my reviews, but I figure that keeping reading is more important!

Top of the list so far is probably ‘The Power’, but a few others are right up there, including ‘Radium Girls’ and ‘How to Stop Time’. Most disappointing, though, was ‘I am Malala’ - such an inspirational young woman but the book was surprisingly annoying.

I haven’t got any DNFs (Malala came very close) but I have a few ‘Yet To Finish’ (including Born a Crime, which I love, but which I put down and haven’t quite got back to yet. And ‘Wolf Hall’, ditto).

message 10: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments On paper I'm doing great! 69 books! 24 books ahead of schedule!

...in reality, once you subtract all the manga, which I do because reading manga is like eating popcorn, I'm way behind. I've only read about 15 actual books this year. Last year it was 65, so according to my paper napkin calculations I'm about 10 books behind. But I also started the year a little burnt out on reading, so I'm not too worried about it. Even if I don't get to 65 again, my real goal is just to read something for the tag and one other thing every month. If I can do that, I'll be happy.

Least favorite book so far is easily Sister Light, Sister Dark by Jane Yolen. By rights I should love her, but she always leaves me cold for some reason.

Most favorite is a much harder choice... Let's go with the Bobiverse series. I read all three in two weeks. So much fun!

message 11: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments Ellen - Lolita was your worst? *sob* But 59 books. Great job!

Jason - Ha! Our favorite is the exact same so far. 77??!!!! How is that possible? Sigh.

Charlotte - omg, you are surpassing me on every level, but we both love The Book Thief and both dislike Love in the Time of Cholera! I'm all on board with those choices.

Jamie - Glad you got all that in before job #2 kicks in. Good luck with that! Hope you will still visit us.

Diane - Wild Swans is all loaded on my Kindle. I really need to get to that one . . .thank you for being a PBT reader that reads a normal amount of books. I sometimes feel like I really shouldn't be an admin because I'm relatively so much slower. But I started the group so guess I'm allowed to hang around. It's intimidating!

Cheryl - Way to go in clearing out those book shelves. I'm downsizing and giving away so many unread books is breaking my heart a bit.

Kate - Wow, another member reading so so much. I love it. Also thought Radium Girls and The Power were excellent. I've not picked up Malala because I have heard your sentiments echoed pretty far and wide unfortunately.

Amy - I love your commitment to the tag! That's really what makes us run around here. 69 books of any type is still quite something.

message 12: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments I have mixed feelings about my year so far. On the good side, I've read 31 books so well on track for my goal of 50 each year. On the not so good side, while I've rated some books as five stars, I feel like I've gotten more lenient in my ratings overall and not sure there's really been that standout book that I want to recommend to everyone I meet.

By far the closest to that standard though is Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood which I very much enjoyed. A close second is The Heart's Invisible Furies.

My hands down worst book (nothing else is even remotely close) was The Crying of Lot 49. Awful. Thank goodness it was short.

On challenges, well as per usual, I'm behind. I'm doing very well on my total book number and in reading a book every month for PBT (10 years of practice and a continuous streak - - can't be blowing it now).

But only 2 books for Listopia. I am on top of Decathlon except for this month. At 1001 Books, I'm doing a TBR challenge, and that one I'm on top of as well.

Really wish I had read some more books from the current year. I need to be more mindful in that regard.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments I’ve read about 42 books or so. These last couple of months have been extremely slow to in almost standstill. And even with that I’ve managed to make sure I finish the monthly tag and the Decathalon in May and June. I have five listopia lists, Two I was serious about and three I was just playing around with. The main two I’m almost done with both. And the other three, I’ll complete by the end of the year. Somehow I will catch up and make my years end challenge. So even though I’ve had a rough couple of months for reading, I’m still doing pretty darn well. There’s a backlog of really loved books that I can’t get to.

But the books I’ve read, have largely been great. I could make a top 10 from the end of April. I’ve read some really wonderful things! I have a lot of contenders. But one book I really want to highlight is this: the Three Daughters of Eve. I read it in January, I thought it was excellent and I gave it five stars. Since then, I have seen absolutely no sign of it anywhere. It’s as if it never existed and has gotten so little to no attention that I wonder if I’m crazy. All the other books I thought were excellent are well-known titles to others. This is the one book that I think deserves more attention than I’ve seen. If you look it up, you’ll likely find my review. Considering no one else I know has even read it. But I advise you to look it up because I thought it was a great book. Hoping to finish the girl in the tower this weekend, and get you some more things before the end of June. July looks promising.

message 14: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8427 comments Cheryl wrote: "I'm doing great, right on track for my goal of 666 books.
More importantly, I'm reading a *lot* of the dusty paper books off my shelves and getting them out of my house... and that means that a lo..."

This has been on TBR list for a while-thanks for the review, going to try to get it while on vacation in August

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8427 comments My reading is going well, logged a little over 60 books. I would like to catch up on the tags and decathlon, but my resolution this year was to not finish books I wasn't feeling good about. So I have quite a few DNF(can't give you a real count, because I just set that shelf up last month). I have completed 4 books for Listopia.

I am reading The Lions of Al-Rassan right now and am 3/4 of the way through, so unless something really weird happens this is by far my favorite book this year.

I am really enjoying this group and i am glad I found you!

message 16: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2668 comments Thanks for the tip about the Daughters of Eve, Amy. Will add it to the list :)

Anita, you’ve read such fabulous books this year and they’re all thoughtful ones. I always love your recommendations, my book twin :)

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments I love that you jumped right on my recommendation! I hope you love it too....

message 18: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m having a great reading year so far. I had a goal to read 80 across the year but I just logged my 52nd, so I’m hoping to hit 100. I read 114 last year but thought that was a fluke! Perhaps not.

Best book? A tie between Sing, Unburied, Sing, and The Heart’s Invisible Furies.

I embraced DNFing a few years ago, deciding that there were too many good books to waste time on ones that I am not enjoying. To that end I think I have turfed about five books this year.

I’ve finished the Listopia challenge and am up to date with the Decathlon. I was going to do the Popsugar one that Linda does but to be honest I’ve not looked at it! I’m up to date with in IRL book club too. 2018 looks like it’s shaping up to be a great reading year!

message 19: by annapi (last edited Jun 15, 2018 05:37PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments I've read 66 books so far, which is 2 behind my goal of 150. That's pretty good as the last 3 years I've had a drastic decrease in my reading numbers (I used to do 150+ easily), probably because I play games too much on my phone :) But if you count that 2 of them are less than 100 pages, you might put my actual count at 65. Except that another one is at 1332 pages (1Q84), so I think that evens things out and I will stand by the count of 66.

Best book so far (my only 5-star) is Beartown, but close on its heels at 4.5 each are Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine and Burn Bright.

Worst book - I haven't had any bad ones yet, just 16 at 3-star ratings.

DNF's - well I've dropped several as I always do; I intend to come back to them, but it might not happen this year.

message 20: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 15, 2018 05:39PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9068 comments Anita wrote: "So we are almost at the half year mark, and I'm wondering how people are feeling about their 2018 reading so far. Are you on pace for your personal goals? How many books have you read so far? Best ..."

GR tells me I'm 2 books ahead of my goal, so that's good. I think I've read 71, so far.

ETA: Nope! I was 2 books ahead as of yesterday, but now I'm only 1 book ahead. My holidays are coming up in July, though, so hopefully that will push me a bit further ahead, still! (Though I also hope to get to the next 1500 page Outlander in July, so we'll see!)

message 21: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9068 comments Best and worst? I'd have to pull out the spreadsheet and look that up. I have had a couple of 5 stars, I think, but like Anita, I think I've become slightly more lenient the past couple of years!

DNFs don't happen with me.

message 22: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 1456 comments I think I am doing pretty good. I have a goal of 60 books for the year and I am currently at 41, so I am on track for that.

I have read 5 out of 6 books for Listopia.
I have read every month so far for Decathalon (I am reading June's right now).
I have read at least one book for the PBT tag every month.
I have read 9 books towards my personal goal to read more speculative fiction by diverse authors.
I have read 8/24 books for the read harder challenge.
I have read 20/50 books for the Popsugar challenge.

I have rated 7 books with 5 stars so I am having a pretty good reading year. I think the best one so far is Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, but City of Miracles and Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood are up there too. My most disappointing read so far has been The Vampire's Mail Order Bride which I rated 2 stars. I have not had any DNF, although I have had a couple that I put down for a time when I am more in the mood for that book (1Q84 is the latest of those).

message 23: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9068 comments OK, best book... I have two books I've rated 5 stars and a few at 4.5, but to be honest, I can choose between them, so the best book for me, so far, this year:

The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore.

Worst book. Hmmm, I have three 2-star books...
If I was to choose between them, thinking back, I'd probably go with:
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer / Patrick Suskind

But I've also rated "Peter the Great" and "The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu" at 2 stars. Funny thing - they were both audio books.

message 24: by ~*Kim*~ (last edited Jun 15, 2018 07:42PM) (new)

~*Kim*~ | 578 comments I've read 15/35 so far and Goodreads says I'm right on track. I was a couple of books ahead of schedule, but have been in a slump the last month or so.

I've had a few 5 star ratings, but if I had to choose my favorite so far this year, I'd have to go with Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.
Coming in a close runner up is The Red Hat Club by Haywood Smith.

The worst book I've read was a toss up between The Little Prince (I know it's supposed to be a classic, but I just didn't get it) and The A-List (YA book, but a little too YA for me).

I've had a few DNF's. The last couple that I can recall were Beautiful Lies by Lisa Unger and Friend Request by Laura Marshall. I also couldn't get in to The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma.

Only 1 book for Listopia :(
Didn't do May for the Decathlon, but am working on June's now.

message 25: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 578 comments LibraryCin wrote: "DNFs don't happen with me. "

Wow! I don't think I could get through everything that I attempt to read. Some books are just not engaging enough for me and it would take me forever to get through them if I tried.

message 26: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9068 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "LibraryCin wrote: "DNFs don't happen with me. "

Wow! I don't think I could get through everything that I attempt to read. Some books are just not engaging enough for me and it would take me foreve..."

I do tend to skim if it's boring. So, I "say" I finished those ones, but I probably missed half of what happened! ;-)

message 27: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments This has been a good year so far.
after being shamefully bad last year, I'm really enjoying reading in 2018.
I have read 31 books. My original goal was 25, so last month I raised it to 50... we'll see if I don't stall at some point.

My original goal before I have found PBT was to go year by year (but not in chronological order) and read one book published every year from 1900-now.
That's a few years project, but I'm up to 28 books, and have had some great finds along the way.
Also read 13 women (hoping for 25).
Trying to stick to literature, and get to classics I always wanted to but never bothered with.

as for PBT - I am up to date with all the monthly topics since I've joined, and caught up on Decathlon (reading June now).
I've finished my listopia, but forgot to mention it on reviews - so I'm not sure what to do with that now :)

I've been very generous with my 5 stars, but I reckon I will go back at the end of the year, and amend things after my excitement cools down a bit

my favorites: I have too many. but just few of them: The Summer Book, My Brilliant Career, Nights at the Circus, Rebecca, but if pressed, there are at least 15 books this year that I loved.

I hated/disliked 4 books: The Lives of Others, The Scarlet Pimpernel, The Pursuit of Love and The Beginner's Goodbye

no real DNFs, but there was one book I decided I'll go back to in the future because there's a different book from 1913 i'm planning to read

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments I'm doing a lot of challenges this year, combining Litsy and Goodreads tasks. If you want to know more about a challenge, feel free to ask!

Goodreads: 49/150
Booked18: 0/6
Clear the Shelves: 11/64
Colour challenge: 5/15
Litsy A-Z tbr books: 7/26
Litsy classics: 7/26
Members tasks: 10/47
Modern Mrs Darcy: 1/12
Passport Litsy: 4/40
Listopia: 5/6
Popsugar: 13/50
Recommended non fiction: 6/22
TBR jar: 1/7
UK road trip: 12/92

I've decreased my Goodreads challenge from 220+ as there is no way I'm going to get there.

I have managed to complete all PBT's tags and the Decathlon tasks (starting June's tonight!). I'm almost there with the Listopia challenge too.

Best has to be Garden Spells, which I read for Strong Women & worst has to be Anna Karenina, which was on Listopia. I haven't DNF'd any, but Anna Karenina came close.

message 29: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 1238 comments Amy wrote: "I’ve read about 42 books or so. These last couple of months have been extremely slow to in almost standstill. And even with that I’ve managed to make sure I finish the monthly tag and the Decathalo..."
I got Three Daughters Of Eve on audio, and plan to listen while I’m gardening this month. I read another book by her earlier this year, Honor, and really enjoyed it.

I’ve read 142 books so far this year, and I’m way above my goal of one book. I decided to not set a goal for this year, and just enjoy the books.
My favorites have been The Heart’s Invisible Furies and If Beale Street Could Talk.
Strong dislike for: The Black Dahlia and Kim.

message 30: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Some of the tallies here are most impressive!

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Jenny wrote: "I'm doing a lot of challenges this year, combining Litsy and Goodreads tasks. If you want to know more about a challenge, feel free to ask!
..."

I didn't know what Litsy means, so I googled it. Off to start a thread; please join in!

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Cheryl wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm doing a lot of challenges this year, combining Litsy and Goodreads tasks. If you want to know more about a challenge, feel free to ask!
..."

I didn't know what Litsy means, so I ..."

Lol I saw the thread before I saw this comment! :-)

message 33: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments There is Tracy! Can’t wait to hear what you think of the book. Honored that you take my recommendation seriously. I think we tend to be pretty alike in our taste.

message 34: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments So far so good.

I've read 48/100 books and GR says I'm ahead by a few. I've read something for each tag and for decathalon.

I did hours and hours of research for Listopia, but couldn't settle on a list. But this month I actually read one book that's on my short list of lists ... so I guess I'll persue the rest of that list. One down five to go.

I have a personal goal to read books that I actually own. 5 each of DTB and Kindle. I'm 3/5 on the first and 2/5 on the latter.

Most frustrating for me was that I did not read the books I planned to for last month's tag. I had 2 or 3 books on my kindle that I didn't get to because the audio books that I started had such bad readers, I had to switch to the text editions. It cut badly into my reading time.

I haven't read anything really bad this year, just quite a few trivial audiobooks. Not a lot of 5 star books either. So far the best are
Exit West
The Essex Serpent and
Cry, the Beloved Country

message 35: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9068 comments Idit wrote: "I've finished my listopia, but forgot to mention it on reviews - so I'm not sure what to do with that now :).."

Did you also post the reviews in the Listopia thread? I think that should cover it. You could also, if you wish, add the Listopia books to the PBT shelf and add the "listopia" tag.

message 36: by Nicole D. (last edited Jun 16, 2018 10:46AM) (new)

Nicole D. | 1497 comments I'm on track, which is unusual for me in June ...34/75 books

current on Decathlon (except this month, which I plan to complete)

Favorite book this year: Before We Were Yours (finding that a bit hard to believe)
(favorite totally not on my radar random surprise book was Imagine Me Gone)

Least Favorite: The Great Alone

DNFs: 3 (like others, too little time to spend reading books that don't grab me, even though I have finished many for one reason or another)

I feel like I've had a lot of 3 stars this year.

12 2018 published books, but getting ready to read for the Booker so that will increase my favorites and my 2018 reads. Have a lot of solid books on deck.

message 37: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments I noticed, at least for myself and for some others in the group, that our personal tracking threads have some interesting smaller personal challenges. Like for instance I am trying to track how many giveaways I have read. And also how many physical books I have owned, that I can actually try to get out of my house. I also have a list, sort of a take off on Nicole’s cultural challenge, And how many different cultures and countries I have visited through books. I’m trying to knock off a short list from 2017 or earlier and have a new shortlist from 2018. It’s sort of funny how choosing what you read it becomes a play for science. Between what’s out from the library, what the tag and decathalon and other challenges might be. Plus book club books, and just what you’re in the mood for. Or what’s been dogging your list. Hopefully, this summer will help me catch up.

message 38: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Up until now, I’ve only finished 11 books, which is quite little as I noticed. But nevertheless, I’m glad that I’ve read some of the greatest author and cleared up some readings long stored on my bookshelf.

Best book: Very hard to say. The best nonfiction probably goes to I Am Malala as it open my eyes to the sufferings of some parts of the world that I never thought of. The best fiction goes to A Thousand Splendid Sun for the emotion it creates and The Mysterious Affairs at Styles, my first Agatha Christie book.

Worst book: Prison School definitely. Of all books/mangas I’ve ever read, this is the one with the crappiest ending. My advice for anyone who wants to read it: DON’T DO THAT, YOU DESERVE BETTER.

I’m now reading A Picture of Dorian Gray, The Kite Runner, Agatha Christie Short Stories and The History of Japan (日本史)as well as several mangas. Dorian Gray is really powerful and I quite like that. Others are enjoyable reading as well.

message 39: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2299 comments I'm having a good year even if I am behind by 2 books on my goal of (only) 55 for the year.

I have a quite a few favorites: The All-Girl Filling Station's Last Reunion, A Well-Tempered Heart, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and The Martian. For the funniest in a long time, Sh*t My Dad Says.

I haven't had any DNFs. Plus I'm doing very well on my Challenges, completed Listopia and I'm on track with Decathalon. I'm happy with my year. :-)

message 40: by Rachel N. (last edited Jun 16, 2018 04:33PM) (new)

Rachel N. | 1613 comments I've read 43 out of 75 which apparently puts me 9 books ahead which is good. I've completed the decathalon every month and am halfway through my listopia books which is where I wanted to be halfway through the year. I've taken a break for the summer from the PBT fiction and nonfiction lists because I wasn't enjoying the books I'd picked. I'm going to try again in the fall and see if a break helps.
Best book I've read so far is The Heart's Invisible Furies Worst hands down is An Imperfect Spy. I haven't DNF any books but an imperfect spy came close.

message 41: by Karin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

Karin | 7470 comments I'm reading significantly less than last year for various reasons, and am very, very far behind on the decathlon.

message 42: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6865 comments I am shooting for 85 books this year and 2 books ahead of schedule, but it has been a struggle to stay ahead.

As for best books, I have 4 , 5star books. They are: How Dare the Sun Rise: Memoirs of a War Child, Go, Went, Gone, The Weight of Ink, Sing, Unburied, Sing. The one four star I would add to that isSong of a Captive Bird

I've kept up with tags, decathlon challenge I missed one and need to catch up with reviews. I've competed, Nicole R. cultural challenge, I've completed 5 of 6 time period challenge, I've read at least 8 books released in 2018, which has completed that challenge, I've completed 3 of the dtb challenge, I am hopeless at the cookbook challenge

As for unfinished books they are all DTB, I hope to finish them, but it is up in the air how successful I will be

message 43: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments I've read 91 books so far - well ahead of my goal.

Quite a mixed picture on the challenges:
PBT tags: read for all tags so far
PBT decathlon: on track (currently reading this month's book)
PBT listopia: 3/6 (currently reading number 4)
Nicole's culture challenge: 12 entries so far, been adding to the list every month, but only 4 by women so far
Nonfiction Pulitzers: 2/6 (currently reading number 3)
1001 reading: I manage about 1 a month, but not those that would fit the challenges...
All those other challenges, they really only help in adding to the TBR...

message 44: by Michael (new)

Michael (mike999) | 569 comments Am at 71, a high volume for me, but gained at the cost of a lower fraction of completed reviews (around 50%). In the following the links are to my reviews when I succeeded in writing one.

My personal challenge is to read 5 each in these categories: Ancient Greece, Polish authors, Turkish authors, Japanese, and Latin American. Five star reads from these efforts include:
Why Homer Matters--Adam Nicolson
The Odyssey--Homer (new Emily Wilson translation)
Collected Stories--Bruno Schulz
Memed My Hawk--Yasar Kemal
Snow Country--Yasunari Kawabata

Best contempory lit:
Warlight--Michael Ondaatje

Best classic lit:
Of Human Bondage--Somerset Maugham
Far From the Madding Crowd --Thomas Hardy

Best science fiction:
Shadowbahn--Steve Erickson
Stone Sky--N.K. Jemisin

Best mystery/thriller:
Robicheaux--James Lee Burke

Best history:
Huế 1968: A Turning Point of the American War in Vietnam --Mark Bowden
Gallipoli--Les Carlyon

Best nature writing:
The Seabird's Cry: The Lives and Loves of the Planet's Great Ocean Voyagers --Adam Nicolson

A turning point for me was passing the mark of 1,000 reviews. A different milestone was the accumulation of 100 Netgalley reviews. This year, I'd like to surpass 300 reads from the 1001 list, toward which I have done 265 (20 so far this year). Most come from free audiobook reads from LibriVox, which I listen to on my long commute

message 45: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6399 comments I don't set any reading goals ... I just read.

So far this year I've read (or listened to) 85 books. (But I'm way behind on writing / posting reviews ... only 78 so far)

In 2017 I read 212 books ... but that includes the picture books for the Caldecott challenge I was doing. My current pace would bring me to about 180 books for 2018.

Best book ... Okay I just re-read To Kill a Mockingbird .... but if I leave out that one ... it would be Mary Doria Russell's A Thread of Grace

Worst book ... Not even a contest ... ZERO stars for The Shack

DNF ... one ... Lucky Jim ... the dry 1950s British humor just wasn't funny to me and I got bored. I persevered through about 2/3 of it because I had committed to a buddy read in another group. But I finally gave up, skipped to the final chapter and still didn't care. Since I didn't actually read all of it, I call it a DNF.

I've read at least one book for each PBT tag. Have finished 5 of 6 Listopia books (and may go for a second Listopia list). Working on my June Decathalon book now, and still have that April Decathalon book sitting on my table (I own it, so it keeps getting set aside in favor of library books that have a deadline).

message 46: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments I knew people read a lot here, but my mind is a bit blown by the sheer quantity of books read (and in many cases reviewed).

I'm loving seeing everyone's best and worst so far! Thank you all for sharing . . .

message 47: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments Susie wrote: "I’m having a great reading year so far. I had a goal to read 80 across the year but I just logged my 52nd, so I’m hoping to hit 100. I read 114 last year but thought that was a fluke! Perhaps not. ..."

Somehow I still can't seem to DNF any books, but this year is the first in awhile that I've been sorely tempted.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

I made a goal for myself this year of 75 books and I have just finished number 38 so I am on track. That being said I have not taken part in the other challenges since I am still newer to this group. I was just trying to get the hang of it I guess. I have been sorely tempted to step into one of the challenges and play catch up but I have decided. I suppose if I am I better get on it! My goal this year was to also write reviews instead of just rating the books and I have done this. I only became active on Goodreads last year but it was this year that I found this group and really got involved. This group is wonderful and I have had so much fun on here.

message 49: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9353 comments You are a great addition Rachel! And welcome to all our new members that are quickly becoming like family.

message 50: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6748 comments Rachel wrote: "I made a goal for myself this year of 75 books and I have just finished number 38 so I am on track. That being said I have not taken part in the other challenges since I am still newer to this grou..."

Sounds like you were smart and have gotten off to a great start with just reading so much and for writing reviews. That's awesome! We will have new challenges next year so please don't feel pressured to do something you may not enjoy. We are so glad to hear you are loving PBT!!! So happy to have you here.

I will vouch for the fact that as you get older it is so nice to have the reviews available . . .I am so happy to be able to look back and recollect what I read and whether or not it is something I would recommend to others.

« previous 1