Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Do You Know Me?---Kandinsky

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:57PM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments ____took up the study of art in earnest at age 30... to study drawing and painting.

An obsession with _____ led __ to explore___ own creative concepts of color on canvas, which were sometimes controversial among contemporaries and critics, but _______ emerged as a respected leader of the _________ movement.

Even as a boy, _________had an intimate experience with art; the works of ___ childhood reveal rather specific color combinations, infused by ___ perception that "each color lives by its mysterious life".

________followed ___ family’s wishes to go into law...But two events effected ___ abrupt change of career...

Color became more an expression of emotion rather than a faithful description of nature or subject matter.
________ believed that each time period puts its own indelible stamp on artistic expression....

Any guesses?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Pollock?

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments No, but really good guess! You’re so close!

message 4: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments DeKooning? Rothko?

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Brighter, more colorful than DeKooning but Rothko is a good guess. I feel you will get this one soon.

message 6: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Cezanne?

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Well, stick more to the likes of Rothko.

message 8: by Heather (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:59PM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Clue: “All the artists of this movement were committed to art as expressions of the self. Born out of emotion and universal themes”

message 9: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Jasper Johns?

message 10: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments No, I don’t think he was part of this movement.

message 11: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I think this is fun and I am learning a lot myself from what I read about different artists. Hope you are enjoying this folder and subject, too!

I'm writing this in this particular thread to put it toward the top because it is the only one so far that hasn't been guessed.

Any more guesses as to who this might be?

message 12: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Mondrian?

message 13: by Heather (last edited Jun 19, 2018 04:03PM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Wow, Geoffrey! You’ve already named some of his contemporaries. You’re so close!

message 14: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Rosenquist was certainly brighter in color but he would be in the Pop realm.

message 15: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Rosenquist was certainly brighter in color but he would be in the Pop realm."

Not Rosenquist, sorry

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Clue: "A trained musician, ______ approached color with a musician’s sensibility

message 17: by Heather (last edited Jun 26, 2018 04:32AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments I don't know what clue to give! Geoffrey all but named him!

Clue: " ____ art and ideas inspired many generations of artists, from his students to the Abstract Expressionists after World War II"

Geoffrey's responses that were so close:
Rothko, Mondrain, DeKooning, Pollock

message 18: by Judi (new)

Judi (jvaughn) | 59 comments Andre Breton?

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Judi wrote: "Andre Breton?"

That's a good guess, Judi! I'll give another clue, hopefully this is obvious.

message 20: by Heather (last edited Jun 26, 2018 10:10AM) (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Clue: He's Russian

(Correction: Geoffrey's responses weren't actually his 'contemporaries', he was before that movement.)

message 21: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Ch, ch,all, agggggg........I am choking. Should have been obvious.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Ch, ch,all, agggggg........I am choking. Should have been obvious."

You'll get it, Geoffrey (if someone doesn't beat you to it!) I know you know him.

message 23: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Heather wrote: "Geoffrey wrote: "Ch, ch,all, agggggg........I am choking. Should have been obvious."

You'll get it, Geoffrey (if someone doesn't beat you to it!) I know you know him."

Clue: Pioneer of PURE ABSTRACTION

message 24: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Kadinsky, Gorky. Chagall. I give up.

message 25: by Heather (new)

Heather | 8545 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Kadinsky, Gorky. Chagall. I give up."

No need to give up, Geoffrey. You got it!

Yes, he is Kandinsky
Good job!!!