Flights of Fantasy discussion

The Cloud Roads (Books of the Raksura, #1)
This topic is about The Cloud Roads
Buddy Reads > Books of the Raksura series Buddy Read - Starts July 1st

Comments Showing 1-50 of 117 (117 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Jul 09, 2018 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Hey everyone!

I've recently been bitten by the Martha Wells bug!

I have had her Books of the Raksura series on Mt. TBR since forever but some recent challenges encouraged me to pick one of the books back up...

...and I realized that something was happening to me that hasn't happened in...forever:

A glom!!

I'm so flipping excited!! Plus I have had book hangover for anything not Martha Wells related (also loving my homie MurderBot).

The Novels:
The Cloud Roads
The Serpent Sea
The Siren Depths
The Edge of Worlds
The Harbors of the Sun

The Shorts:
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below

ETA:
Martha Wells has a Paetron account where she posts snippets of Raksuran life. I've gathered a LOT of them and tried to put them in chronological order - for those who plan to join the Buddy Read and Wells' Paetron.

Please note: This may not be 100% right (the paetron inserts) so if you have a change, let me know.

Also, the short story "The Tale of Indigo and Cloud" is listed by GR as book #0.1. The majority of the tale IS set before the beginning of Moon's story BUT the ending and other parts around the story sets it solidly AFTER The Siren Depths. Read that one first at your own peril.

Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Tale of Indigo and Cloud #0.1
Paetron #1. Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Umber Shadow
Paetron #16. Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #17. Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #18. Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #50: Malachite Returns to Opal Night
Paetron #51: Malachite Returns to Opal Night Part 2
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Forest Boy #0.2
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: The Dead City #0.3
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: Adaptation #0.4
Paetron #21: Selis at the Cordan’s Camp
Book 1: The Cloud Roads
Paetron #38. Stone and Moon on the Way to Sky Copper
Paetron #4. Moon and Stone: the Time of the Eastern Colony
Paetron #19. Chime and Flower: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #8. Jade and Balm: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #39. Selis, On the Way to Kish
Paetron #31. Chime and Heart, Under the Dwei Hive - Near the end of The Cloud Roads
Paetron #10. Jade in the Golden Isles: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron # 20. Niran, in the Last Days of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #30. Niran, in the Last Days of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony, Part 2
Paetron # 3. Moon and Chime: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Book 2: The Serpent Sea
Paetron #7. Bramble and Rill: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #2: Things left behind
Paetron #40. Blossom and the other Arbora in the Golden Isles
Book 3: The Siren Depths
Paetron #37. Feather and Umber at Opal Night (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Paetron #28. Stone Returns to Indigo Cloud from the Golden Isles (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Paetron #13. Jade and Balm: at the Court of Opal Night (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: Mimesis #3.4
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: Trading Lesson #3.5
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Falling World #3.6
Paetron #33. Moon and Shadow at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #48: Ember and Stone at Emerald Twilight
Paetron #36. Moon, Stone, and Ember, on the eve of a court visit
Stories of the Raksura Vol 2: The Dark Earth Below #3.7
Paetron #34. Moon and Stone: After The Dark Earth Below
Paetron #29. Under the Colony Tree, During the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron Dated 09/24/2017: Three Worlds Story: Found on the Water
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: The Almost Last Voyage of the Wind-ship Escarpment #3.8
Paetron #12. Teaching the Fledglings to Hunt: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #6. The Death of Dash: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Book 4: The Edge of Worlds
Paetron #14. Malachite and the Sky Copper Clutch at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #27. The Sky Copper Clutch at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #9. Tempest and Ember: At the Indigo Cloud Court
Book 5: The Harbors of the Sun
Paetron #9. Tempest and Ember: At the Indigo Cloud Court (during Harbors)
Paetron #22. Stone and Moon in the Drylands (during The Harbors of the Sun)
Paetron #11. Moon and Stone, Crossing the Southern Drylands (during The Harbors of the Sun)
Paetron #35. Moon, Chime, and Blossom at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #46: Consolation and First in the Reaches
Paetron #44. Chime and First in the Reaches
Paetron #42. Malachite and Delin at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #32. Ember, Thorn, and Bitter Starshell at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #15. Moon and Celadon at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 1
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 2
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 3
Paetron (Dated 12/21/16): The Hidden Colony Part 4
Paetron #49: The Hidden Colony Part 5

Paetron # 47: Traveling in the Reaches
Paetron #43. On the Trade Road
Paetron #41. The Fringe of the Reaches

ETA- ETA: The chronological order of all the published shorts & books without Paetron stories:

Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Tale of Indigo and Cloud #0.1
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Forest Boy #0.2
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: The Dead City #0.3
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: Adaptation #0.4
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: Mimesis #3.4
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: Trading Lesson #3.5
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 1: The Falling World & The Tale of Indigo and Cloud: The Falling World #3.6
Stories of the Raksura, Volume 2: The Dead City & The Dark Earth Below: The Almost Last Voyage of the Wind-ship Escarpment #3.8

message 2: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I've read The Cloud Roads, The Serpent Sea, The Siren Depths plus Vol 1 of the shorts...

...but I could be down for some re-reads. I feel like I was too excited and may have done some skimming in my ecstasy. And even after that, I still need to read Vol 2 of the shorts and the last two books in the series.

At which point, I will be sunk deeeeeep into book hangover and hope that either Rogue Protocol is already out OR I have serious love for The Death of the Necromancer.

So. Anyone down?

message 3: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments I kind of hated The Death of the Necromancer, so I'm gonna have to pass on this one.

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "I kind of hated The Death of the Necromancer, so I'm gonna have to pass on this one."

No, I mean that's the only other Martha Wells book I own that I haven't read yet, lol. I'm running out of Wells and Rogue Protocol doesn't come out for another 53 days.

message 5: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "I could be down for this! I’m a bit booked out for June but if we could start in July? :)"

July works for me!

message 6: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Now the real question:

Trade paperback to fit the rest of my collection OR HB because its only $2 more (plus its HB!!!!!)

I think I've already answered my question, however: the rest of my collection is in Trade Paperback... and I'd hate to have to buy 2 copies...

Beth (rosewoodpip) I'll join up, too. Thanks for the heads up, MrsJ!

As a note, I'm very unlikely to read more than the first book. This is 1000% more a comment on my reading/reading habits than Wells' writing, which I love. July as a start is perfect. :)

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments yaaay!

message 9: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 31 comments If I can get my hands on the books, I will also join. Just tried the sample audio for Cloud Roads and I thought it was meh.

message 10: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Soo wrote: "If I can get my hands on the books, I will also join. Just tried the sample audio for Cloud Roads and I thought it was meh."

I borrowed The Cloud Roads from the library (it's the only one I don't own in DTB at this point). Does your library have ebook lending?

I've never tried any of the audios...

message 11: by Soo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Soo (silverlyn) | 31 comments No ebooks available to borrow from the library. Currently on my cross country roadtrip+work. So I lean towards audiobooks for easy consumption. Also saves on space. Though I am a dork and can't seem to resist a good print book sale. Dur. Added 8 books to the small mound I have on this trip. LoL

message 12: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Soo wrote: "No ebooks available to borrow from the library. Currently on my cross country roadtrip+work. So I lean towards audiobooks for easy consumption. Also saves on space. Though I am a dork and can't see..."

LOL. I do that, too. Terrible isn't it?

message 13: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I read her Star Wars book. It was okay...

Razor's Edge

message 14: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Chris wrote: "I read her Star Wars book. It was okay...

Razor's Edge"

wasn't a big fan?

I'm not really into novelizations, so...

I tried a book or two of the Diablo ones. And the first one from Resident Evil.

message 15: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi (1stavenue) | 25 comments Forgot to stop by last Friday to day that I'll be joining you guys in this massive reread. I'm queuing up my schedule for July right now and am really looking forward to returning to the Three Worlds and mountain trees.

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Yaaay!

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments I was excited to see this. I've only been able to discuss these books with one other person. It's a very lonely fandom. I just reread these in preparation of starting the final book, so they're all fresh in my mind, but I'll put off Harbors of the Sun a little longer.

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments :-D
I'm excited!!

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments Keep in mind, it's is Hugo nominated, so if you buy a Hugo voter packet (http://file770.com/whats-in-the-2018-... ) you get the first two novels and the second collection of short stories.

message 20: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I have all of them in ebook and DTB, lol. I'm prepared! :-D

message 21: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments July 1st can't come soon enough. I'm sitting over here desperate. O_O

I also joined Well's paetron cause I'm desperate. O_O

message 22: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Also, the short story "The Tale of Indigo and Cloud" is listed by GR as book #0.1. The majority of the tale IS set before the beginning of Moon's story BUT the ending and other parts around the story sets it solidly AFTER The Siren Depths. Read that one first at your own peril.

Paetron #1. Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Umber Shadow
Paetron #16. Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #17. Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #18. Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #50: Malachite Returns to Opal Night
Paetron #51: Malachite Returns to Opal Night Part 2
Paetron #21: Selis at the Cordan’s Camp
Paetron #4: Moon and stone on the way to star astar - Near the beginning of The Cloud Roads
Paetron #38. Stone and Moon on the Way to Sky Copper
Paetron #4. Moon and Stone: the Time of the Eastern Colony
Paetron #19. Chime and Flower: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #8. Jade and Balm: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #39. Selis, On the Way to Kish
Paetron #31. Chime and Heart, Under the Dwei Hive - Near the end of The Cloud Roads
Paetron #10. Jade in the Golden Isles: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron # 20. Niran, in the Last Days of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Paetron #30. Niran, in the Last Days of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony, Part 2
Paetron # 3. Moon and Chime: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #7. Bramble and Rill: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #2: Things left behind
Paetron #40. Blossom and the other Arbora in the Golden Isles
Paetron #37. Feather and Umber at Opal Night (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Paetron #28. Stone Returns to Indigo Cloud from the Golden Isles (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Paetron #13. Jade and Balm: at the Court of Opal Night (near the beginning/during The Siren Depths)
Paetron #33. Moon and Shadow at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #48: Ember and Stone at Emerald Twilight
Paetron #36. Moon, Stone, and Ember, on the eve of a court visit
Paetron #34. Moon and Stone: After The Dark Earth Below
Paetron #29. Under the Colony Tree, During the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron Dated 09/24/2017: Three Worlds Story: Found on the Water
Paetron #12. Teaching the Fledglings to Hunt: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #6. The Death of Dash: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Return to the Reaches
Paetron #14. Malachite and the Sky Copper Clutch at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #27. The Sky Copper Clutch at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #22. Stone and Moon in the Drylands (during The Harbors of the Sun)
Paetron #11. Moon and Stone, Crossing the Southern Drylands (during The Harbors of the Sun)
Paetron #35. Moon, Chime, and Blossom at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #46: Consolation and First in the Reaches
Paetron #44. Chime and First in the Reaches
Paetron #42. Malachite and Delin at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #32. Ember, Thorn, and Bitter Starshell at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #15. Moon and Celadon at Indigo Cloud
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 1
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 2
Paetron #: The Hidden Colony Part 3
Paetron (Dated 12/21/16): The Hidden Colony Part 4
Paetron #49: The Hidden Colony Part 5

Paetron # 47: Traveling in the Reaches
Paetron #43. On the Trade Road
Paetron #41. The Fringe of the Reaches

message 23: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments Definitely not doing all of those, but I'll give the novels a shot.

Started on Cloud Roads last night.

message 24: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Ala wrote: "Definitely not doing all of those, but I'll give the novels a shot.

Started on Cloud Roads last night."

Yaaaay! Me, too!

I'm gonna do at least a chapter or two of Dragonz R Studez and then go hog wild on The Cloud Roads.

message 25: by Mimi (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi (1stavenue) | 25 comments Yeah, it may seem overwhelming, but if you end up liking The Cloud Roads, you'll have a huge backlist to dive into later on.

I was gonna start TCR tomorrow once I wrap up my current reads. Now though I think I'm gonna start at the very beginning with The Tale of Indigo and Cloud since this is my second reread of this series.

message 26: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi (1stavenue) | 25 comments Forgot to say: a huge thank you to MrsJoseph for putting that huge list together! Your time and effort are much appreciated!

message 27: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments You're welcome!!

message 29: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So, I'm about 80% or more done with The Cloud Roads.

In reading my review, I didn't care for the first 100 pages during my first read. Looking back, I don't have that level of impatience that I had before.

message 30: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth (rosewoodpip) Thanks for the detailed chronological list, MrsJ! I don't do any Patreon as of yet, so will just stick with the publication order for now.

I've read the first chapter of Cloud Roads. Since I read City of Bones just a few months ago, Moon reminds me a lot of Khat, especially his being vulnerable in the society he's attached himself to, and also being physiologically different.

I love the descriptions.

I'm heading out for a long weekend soon, and taking a trade paperback along would be awkward, so I'll join y'all next week. If you're also in the U.S., have a fun and safe holiday.

message 31: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Welcome!

YOu know, I haven't tried City of Bones yet. I finished up Necromancer a few weeks ago and it was nice but just ok. Maybe I should read City of Bones.

Have a great weekend!

message 32: by Ala (new)

Ala | 469 comments First one down. I dig it.

Moon is kinda annoying at times but I enjoyed the ride.

message 33: by Felina (new)

Felina I just put in a request for this at the library. I'm not sure if what I requested is what you're reading since I'm not sure how this equates to a paper book but I'll see what I can do.

message 34: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Ala wrote: "First one down. I dig it.

Moon is kinda annoying at times but I enjoyed the ride."

Moon is kinda TSTL but he's a sweetheart.

message 35: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments So, I've always wondered about the Fell + Moon + Indigo Cloud: (view spoiler)

message 36: by Dustin (last edited Jul 05, 2018 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "So, I've always wondered about the Fell + Moon + Indigo Cloud: [spoilers removed]"

Book One: (view spoiler)

message 37: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Jul 05, 2018 12:26PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dustin wrote: "MrsJoseph wrote: "So, I've always wondered about the Fell + Moon + Indigo Cloud: [spoilers removed]"

Book One: I don't think it was a lie (or whatever the Fell call it) in that case. The Raksura ..."

Yes. But my issue lies with the fact that it was 18+ years before they caught up with him again. Other books in the series make it seem that scrying can't go that far since they can't tell the future.
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Dustin (last edited Jul 05, 2018 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments MrsJoseph wrote: "Other books in the series make it seem that scrying can't go that far since they can't tell the future."

Book 1: (view spoiler)

message 39: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I still don't... nope. I can't quite buy it. (view spoiler)

message 40: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi (1stavenue) | 25 comments OK, I spent the past few days reading the shorts* leading up to The Cloud Roads and now I'm finally ready to jump into the book itself.

Lots of interesting discussion going on here. My initial (scattered) thoughts are: I'm too sympathetic to this world and these characters to really dissect their actions and motivations. Spoilers below include spoilers for the whole series.

Moon has never striked me as TSTL (view spoiler)

I always took the attack on Sky Copper to mean (view spoiler)

Like Moon, I see Pearl's behavior as sympathetic because she's been through so much and (view spoiler)

*The Tale of Indigo and Cloud
Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Umber Shadow
Stone and Cloud: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Stone and Azure: In the Time of Indigo Cloud's Eastern Colony
Malachite Returns to Opal Night
Malachite Returns to Opal Night Part 2
The Forest Boy
The Dead City
Adaptation
Selis at the Cordan’s Camp

message 41: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I admit, I haven't read The Dead City. And only skimmed the Forest Boy. I hate the stories where Moon is unsure of his future and alone.

That's dust in my eyes. It's windy here.

message 42: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Ok. I have to take a break cause I'm speeding through this re-read as if I'd never heard of a Raksura before.

message 43: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Ok. I finished up The Serpent Sea and moved on to The Siren Depths...and I'm about 20 pages or so from the end of The Siren Depths. The Siren Depths is one of my favorites (view spoiler)

message 44: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nicki wrote: "It's going to take me a little longer than planned to get to this, unfortunately. I'm on the blog tour for an author's third book and I really need to reread the first two or I am going to have no ..."

lol

I will probably be finished before you get started. But I'm still interested in discussing!! I love this series so much.

*hugs books*

message 45: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments I finished up The Siren Depths last night. Now I need to take another Patreon break and dig into the snippets.

I also got my mom to start the series. She said it took her a few pages to get into it and now shes super excited. :-D

message 46: by Dustin (last edited Jul 11, 2018 02:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments I was already on book 2 when we started, so I finished and went back to book one. Two points:

1) I really missed all the mentions of what humans would call incest in Raksura culture during my first few read throughs. It wasn't until the last book that I finally noticed it at all.

Harbors: (view spoiler)

Now I'm noticing all the hints I missed the first few times. I shouldn't even call them hints. It plainly says that if Pearl's children were still around, Indigo Cloud would have Jamie and Cersei scenario happening instead of the romance we get. It never bothered me, but it did cause a dozen gears in my head to readjust at once when I realized this.

2) Moon argues with EVERYONE!

"We need you to stay." "I can't. I don't belong here."

"You need to leave." "Make me."

Himself most of all.

3) The middle-ish part of Book 2 is probably my least favorite of the series. Where that sudden jerk in pace is, where we have built up steam and then right when it looks like everything is going to hit the fan, everyone stops and decides it's time for a nap instead.

4) I still hate River. He is the Draco Malfoy of the Raksura books. I suspect Moon will be glad he didn't drown River in a puddle by the end, but it is tempting.

message 47: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dustin wrote: "I was already on book 2 when we started, so I finished and went back to book one. Two points:

1) I really missed all the mentions of what humans would call incest in Raksura culture during my firs..."

I don't see that kind of incest - and I don't see the Jamie/Cerci situation. I've read all the books and the shorts and the Patreon stories so I can't say for sure that the books mention it. But the queens do not/cannot take consorts that share the same birthqueen. They don't get into "father/consort" but they do mention things like clutchmate vs half-clutchmate vs cross-clutchmate - and all of these are important relationships.

That doesn't mean they aren't all related in some way - all of the courts are family units, basically. The Arbora are the ones who detail the majority of the bloodlines while the queens and consorts mostly worry about making advantageous matches with other courts (if need be).

Maybe I'm missing the mention, but IIRC, they were saying if AMBER's children were still around, then Jade could have taken one of those consorts. (strangely, they don't talk about Jade's clutchmates often, I wonder if some of them were casualties of the poor births. We only really get Balm). There were two consorts that I want to say were both Amber's BUT one of them could be Jade's consort clutchmate. Either way, he was forcibly moved to a different court.

BUT I don't think about this at all because...they aren't human. They aren't even remotely human. In fact, there are no humans on the Three Worlds so I don't really want to place a lot of human issues on the Raksura. We already know the gender roles are reversed and we know the queens can have (what we would call) harems, so...

message 48: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new) - rated it 5 stars

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Dustin wrote: "I was already on book 2 when we started, so I finished and went back to book one. Two points:

1) I really missed all the mentions of what humans would call incest in Raksura culture during my firs..."

Moon is so often TSTL, especially in book 1. And he realizes this in book 3 which makes me want to hug him even more. Though he's TSTL, he at least tries to make his stupid actions make sense rather than just going 100% half-cocked like most romance heroines. Moon is a great Romance heroine.

In addition to arguing with everyone, Moon doesn't is still trying to learn how to trust others - and he's terrible with that.

I like book 2 but 3 is my favorite. Book 2 is the only one that doesn't have Fell.

Dustin (tillos) | 27 comments MrsJoseph wrote: " (strangely, they don't talk about Jade's clutchmates often, I wonder if some of them were casualties of the poor births. We only really get Balm). There were two consorts that I want to say were both Amber's BUT one of them could be Jade's consort clutchmate. Either way, he was forcibly moved to a different court. ."

She doesn't have any besides Balm. The others were stillborn. Martha mentions it somewhere, here or on her site. I'll look. Which probably explains their relationship and why Balm didn't go crazy.

But they do mention how they would have hooked Jade up with a sibling consort right after the first meeting with Pearl and they're talking about why she's crazy. Page 83: "Her (Pearl's) last two clutches, the ones that should have given Jade Consorts were stillborn"

It could have been an error, but I'm still pretty sure they say in book 2 that Jade was only interested in Balm until Moon arrived. Martha does seem to back away from that in book 3, when... I suspect you know.

message 50: by Mimi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mimi (1stavenue) | 25 comments Since Raksuran relationships are so layered and complicated, I don't see them as incest either, although that's how we would see them. Also we don't get to see how these relationships play out or how a "healthy" court functions with multiple queens and consorts and bloodlines mixing, so it's hard to picture.

Ideally consorts would come from a different court to introduce their bloodlines to the new court's, but since Indigo Cloud's old colony was so far away from the other courts, even Sky Copper, and they didn't have many allies, they didn't get a chance to "trade" consorts with those other courts. So they had to interbreed among themselves. From what I gather from watching Emerald Twilight and Opal Night, that wouldn't be the case in the Reaches.

Dusk and Burn were the two consorts that Pearl sent away after Amber died. It's mentioned a couple of times by a few different people that they could have become Jade's consorts, or even Pearl's if she hadn't driven them away in her grief over Rain.

It's also mentioned, maybe later in book 2 or 3, that Rain was probably Chime's father since mentors are said to have come from consorts and arbora. This would make him Jade's half-brother? Seeing Moon with both of them with this in mind is... interesting. Not unsettling, but it takes some getting used to.

River, Drift, and Branch were from Amber's last clutch, I think. If not the last, then maybe the one before that. I always thought it odd that Pearl and River were together, seeing as how he is probably her nephew.

« previous 1 3