Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2018 and beyond > Time to Vote for the July tag

Comments Showing 1-50 of 86 (86 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Please vote for the tag you would most like to read for July at the following link:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/MZ9TXGR

You may click on the answer choices in the survey to see a listing of books that fit each tag.

Remember, you may cast up to a total of 10 participation points for your choice. Everyone gets one vote for free so please vote even if you don't have any participation points!

You can see how many participation points you currently have in the spreadsheet below.

Please note that if you are new to PBT, the participation points are tallied at the beginning of each month, so it is possible your name may not yet be added to the spreadsheet. Don't worry, it will be next month! In the meantime, you have one vote to cast, so please join the voting.

With all the new people, calculating the participation points is getting more challenging. We are up for the challenge, but if you think there may be an error, you are welcome to PM JoLene or myself, and we will try to get it straightened out!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

Happy voting! Please cast your votes by 12 pm EST on 6/23.

Note: If no one choice receives more than 50% of the vote, people who chose the least popular choice will be asked to recast their votes for one of the remaining two options.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 219 comments What an interesting round-up this month! I can't read Christmas stories in July lol and I kind of hate dystopia so I'm rooting for neurodiversity. Plus, there's a nice mix of fiction and non-fiction in there.

message 3: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Thank you.... Neuro-diversity for me, too. :)

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments Another vote for neurodiversity as that fits the rest of my challenges best :)

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Voted for dystopian since I’ve got lots of books that I want to read.

message 6: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Oh randomizer. Christmas in July?! Ha!

Love both the other choices, threw one point towards one just for fun, but I'm very content with either.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin A Voting done

message 8: by annapi (new)

annapi | 5159 comments After checking out the list, there are a lot more books on my TBR that fit neurodiversity than I thought. But I'm a bit surprised it's in the top 200 tags!

message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments annapi wrote: "After checking out the list, there are a lot more books on my TBR that fit neurodiversity than I thought. But I'm a bit surprised it's in the top 200 tags!"

We use the top 300 tags now, and if a member selects the tag, they can select any tag they want and aren't restricted to the list.

message 10: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8431 comments None appealed to me. I did cast one vote as I have a few dystopia I could read

message 11: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 841 comments I voted for the one for which I have the most books, but I could happily read from any of the tags.

message 12: by Elise (new)

Elise (ellinou) I threw all my points to dystopia, because I just bought 10 books and only one of them matches one of the tags up there!

message 13: by Amy N. (new)

Amy N. | 256 comments Neurodiversity for me! I might finally get around to reading So Odd a Mixture: Along the Autistic Spectrum in 'Pride and Prejudice'. I know diagnosing fictional characters with real conditions is a fool's errand, but any excuse to dive deeper into Pride and Prejudice!

Or maybe I'll use it as an excuse to travel to the big library in the next town and get A Boy Called Bat. Or maybe All Cats Have Asperger Syndrome. There's a lot in my tbr that fits this tag, so I'm excited!

message 14: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7473 comments Sharon wrote: "Voted for dystopian since I’ve got lots of books that I want to read."

I voted for this, although I'd be find with neurodiversity, I think. Not so much into reading Christmas novels even at Christmas (so many seem to be romances and I don't read many of those).

message 15: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Voted. Odd little mix this month.

message 16: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6886 comments I love the mix. Voted. I am good with two, but would prefer not to have one of the choices.

message 17: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments I’m with MagdaLena! Odd little mix this time around. I have a check the list yet, but I probably have something for everything. Those who know me, know that I detest dystopia. But there might be something fun in there. I feel like I’ve read the very popular neurodiversity books. And Christmas? Sure I could find something for that. I always do for the December Fall Flurries challenge. But I have to admit, Christmas isn’t really my bag either. I do like singing Christmas carols in July because with my other Jewish friends, we all know the harmonies. So if you want to sing harmony, Christmas always provides. Luckily enough, we know some other tunes as well. I guess I’ll check back with you guys after I see the lists. Won’t to be interesting to see what I actually vote for. Maybe I pick something quick, and finished off more magical realism that I didn’t get to in June. Whip through my long waiting stack.

But as PBT‘s Greatest fan and Devotie, I have to say that this is what I love about this group. That you can always find something even in an odd little mix. I’m never upset with the choices don’t necessarily appeal to my own senses. Because I always find that I grow. I always find something, and usually something I never would have picked or would have been drawn to. Or get to pick something off my list that I never would’ve gotten too. So I’m always curious to see how this turns out. Rolling to the lists is actually fun for me. I guess we’ll see how the cookie crumbles.

message 18: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 805 comments Just reading the word neurodiversity i had no clue what that would be. Turns out it is the tag I have the most books for on the TBR.

message 19: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Well we all know what Nicole will be voting for!

message 20: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 515 comments Voted, and I'll just leave it at that.

message 21: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments Voted - and for neurodiversity. Lots of choices there, but cannot believe I forgot that I have a love, interest, and scholarly passion for neurobiology and the neuroscience of relationships. And truly, just couldn't get past dystopia. Question: is either His Majesty's Dragon, or Strange the Dreamer count for dystopia? Couldn't stomach Christmas twice in a year!

message 22: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Susie wrote: "Well we all know what Nicole will be voting for!"

This Nicole? I don't get to vote but if I could I would put all the points toward CHRISTMAS! lol

message 23: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Yes me too Amy 🤓 I have on my tbr list One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and an Asperger's syndrome book. Someday I may splurge for a copy of Seeing Voices by Oliver Sacks. Audiologist at my ENT suggested the Sacks book.
Hoping hoping.

message 24: by Cynda (new)

Cynda  (cynda) Anita, I voted, but forgot to write how many points, Would you please add 2 points for neuroplasticity, if possible?

Or maybe I can just re-vote?

Thanks Anita.

message 25: by LibraryCin (last edited Jun 15, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Ok, haven't read through the comments yet, but what is "neurodiversity"!? And it's a GR top 300 tag. Sigh.

ETA: That "sigh" is for me not knowing what it meant.

message 26: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Ok, reading through, I think I've figured it out. I also forgot that not all three tags are necessarily top 300, either. I have (at least) one book on my tbr that fits, but I'm rooting for dystopian!

message 27: by annapi (last edited Jun 15, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

annapi | 5159 comments Amy wrote: "Question: is either His Majesty's Dragon, or Strange the Dreamer count for dystopia?"

Can't speak for Strange the Dreamer, but dystopia is defined as "an imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one." I'm not sure HMD's world is a bad one, so I would personally say no. Also, usually dystopias are set in the future, while HMD is set in an alternate history fantasy world.

message 28: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Yes you Nicole! I forgot that you can’t vote, but was sure it would be Christmas if you could!

message 29: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Cynda, I can edit your vote no problem. Do you want 2 total (1 free plus 1 particioation point)?

message 30: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6886 comments Amy wrote: "Voted - and for neurodiversity. Lots of choices there, but cannot believe I forgot that I have a love, interest, and scholarly passion for neurobiology and the neuroscience of relationships. And tr..."

I was guessing that you might have put that forward. Apparently I was wrong. I voted for it as well but unlike you I usually have a few dystopian books on my tbr.

message 31: by SANDYE (new)

SANDYE (sandye_c) I voted for Christmas all the way! It's my favorite holiday, and I've already watched Christmas movies on Hulu!! I'm a Christmas nut and proud of it! :-)

message 32: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments It's dystopian vote for me. I have managed to find few books I could read for this tag.
Christmas I have nothing.
Neurodiversity... I've read in my youth all the oliver sacks a person needs to read (I think). extra tick for flowers for algernon, todd (or was it tedd) and few other psychological true stories. Peaked at Sybil with her many personalities and retired from that genre.

message 33: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7784 comments Sandye, I am right there with you!! 🎄🎄🎄

message 34: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 578 comments Voted...this was an easy choice for me this month.

message 35: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) I just gotta say the reasons that I picked neurodiversity (and why you should consider it too):

1. Temple Grandin. If you care about people who are on the autism spectrum, or livestock & animal rights, or if you want to meet a true (female!) hero, treat yourself and read something by her.

2. Modern science. *So* *much* has been learned about the brain in just the last few years.

And, btw, neurodiversity has very little to do with mental illness a la' Sybil, and only a few of Oliver Sacks' essays address it. I hope the list that was used to represent the tag isn't a mess... I'll have to go check it out.

message 36: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl  (cherylllr) Oops, can't check it out because Survey Monkey won't let me look.

message 37: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 2330 comments Looking at the first 5 pages of all 3 choices I have zero books on my TBR. So.....whatever you all vote for is perfectly fine for me. They all sound good!

message 38: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 3112 comments Cheryl wrote: "Oops, can't check it out because Survey Monkey won't let me look."

Go to this page, https://www.goodreads.com/shelf . Type the shelf name in the box and presto! there it is.

It looks to me like this is a fairly new shelf/tag. There are books on the first page that have only 3 people giving them this tag. That said, I think there's a growing sub-genre of fiction devoted to characters who might have this label and there are some good memoirs as well as more scientific works. If it's chosen, this group could give a big boost to the number of people tagging some of these books.

message 39: by Amy (new)

Amy | 9372 comments BnB, I wouldn’t say I put that particular tag forward, but I will disclose that I was the mystery pick for last month and I had picked fairytales. I think had it not been so closely in twined with magical realism it would have a better shot. I also think that had I not been so busy or had it won, I would’ve made a far better argument for it. There’s so much that would work for fairytales that would have felt so much more expanded for our group. There’s lots of things people wind Mrs. Eileen thought of that would fit. It’s a great topic because it incorporates all kinds of folktales from different cultures, even nonfiction like women who run with the wolves. So many different cultures have their tails that underlie books that were written. And there so many popular books these days that fit that bill. Including Bockmans my grandmother asked me to tell you that she sorry. The snow child. The winter night trilogy. I’m not sorry it didn’t win, because magical realism is fine for me. Plus it’s been a month where I haven’t really been able to read it all. I thought those two were very close. What’s nice about these three tags is how absolutely different they are.

message 40: by LibraryCin (new)

LibraryCin | 9079 comments Cheryl wrote: "1. Temple Grandin. If you care about people who are on the autism spectrum, or livestock & animal rights, or if you want to meet a true (female!) hero, treat yourself and read something by her..."

I do love Temple Grandin, though I read more about the animals than the humans!

message 41: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6406 comments July may be the first month since I joined PBT where I don't read a single book that fits the monthly tag. Anything that I'd want to read on the first few pages of each of these lists ... well, I've already read them.

Jgrace had a good point about "neurodiversity" .... the TOP book has only 20 people using that tag. And by the bottom of page 1 of the list, the book has only 2 people using the tag.

Cast my vote anyway ... just one vote.

message 42: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6749 comments Personally I would love neurodiversity . . .because I like science and memoirs. But any of the three I can work with. Book Riot has good lists for both neurodiveresity and for dystopian books written this year. I haeve to say that their lists always are a lot better and fresher than the Goodreads shelves . . .but the shelves help me find stuff that is already on my TBR.

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 744 comments I'll repeat this if neurodiversity wins, but if you like psychological crime thrillers I cannot recommend the Fiona Griffiths series by Harry Bingham enough.

His protagonist, Fiona, suffers from Cotard's Syndrome and is a brilliant addition to the genre. I've just gone through and tagged the books 'neurodiversity' but the first in the series is Talking to the Dead

message 46: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lin | 49 comments Karin, I am having the same thought as you when I’m voting. Christmas seems to be full of children literature to me. Neurodiversity seems like science reading, which might be quite a lot of challenge to me...

message 47: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6886 comments Amy wrote: "BnB, I wouldn’t say I put that particular tag forward, but I will disclose that I was the mystery pick for last month and I had picked fairytales. I think had it not been so closely in twined with ..."

If I manage to finish magical realism this month the book I chose fits in both magical realism and fairy tale. The one that I started reading but stopped would fit with neurodiversity, so I may resume reading it for next month if it wins.

message 48: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’m going to read Shtum if neurodiversity wins, and Red Clocks if dystopian wins. I’m fairly certain Christmas is out of the race!

message 49: by Barbara M (last edited Jun 16, 2018 02:55PM) (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2300 comments I voted. I can't believe how many books on my shelves are listed in the Neurodiversity shelf. I never heard the term but I figured it out pretty quickly as I worked for 3 years at Beacon College; a school for kids with Learning Disabilities that are seeking a college degree. They had a full schedule of college courses, no pulling punches at this school, but they also learned what accommodations they had to make for themselves to be successful in school and in life. It helped when my two grandsons were diagnosed with ADD and ADHD, one with multiple issues. So, guess what I'm choosing! :-) There are some really great books on that list that I've already read too!

message 50: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments Cheryl wrote: "I just gotta say the reasons that I picked neurodiversity (and why you should consider it too):

1. Temple Grandin. If you care about people who are on the autism spectrum, or livesto..."

I have to apologize - I actually was joking when I mentioned all my youth readings and especially sybil. Of course if Neurodiversity will be selected I will find something interesting to read, just like after whinging about fairy tales I had a list ready and was actually excited about it.

« previous 1