The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - July 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5310 comments Our winning group read for July is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. By all rights their paths should never cross, but Achilles takes the shamed prince as his friend, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. But then word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus journeys with Achilles to Troy, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.

Profoundly moving and breathtakingly original, this rendering of the epic Trojan War is a dazzling feat of the imagination, a devastating love story, and an almighty battle between gods and kings, peace and glory, immortal fame and the human heart.

Just Pau | 2 comments Kristie wrote: "Our winning group read for July is The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at ..."

Hahaha It's Actually funny, because this month ( June ) I just finish this book. I'm happy than you choose this read for July. For everyone who's participating in this read I will tell you than from my perspective this is a really great book and I love It so much.

One of the best reads I have in all 2018 by far! Or at least is my opinion, give to the book a chance or even to the Madeline Miller other works, this book has something than make's it unique on his own genere.

Enjoy the reading!

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (stillchasethewind) | 452 comments Hooray. I own this so I will be able to read with you guys!

Corina | 1224 comments I've actually read this one because I was trying to get Circe for the previous book read and couldn't as it was always on loan 😁 Really enjoyed The Song of Achilles, have been a real Greek myths and stories fan when I was little, so this took me back to that. Also liked her style of writing, almost poetic at times. Looking forward to reading Circe as well 😊

Debra  | 52 comments I read this one after I read Circe! I LOVED Circe and also really enjoyed the Song of Achilles but Circe was better IMO.

What I loved about The Song of Achilles is that one does not need to be overly knowledgeable (or knowledgeable at all) about the Greek Gods, the Trojan war or Achilles to enjoy this book. Of course, knowledge is power and would help but not knowing will not detract from the story at all.

This is a brilliant (and really well written) re-telling of Achilles and the Trojan War! It has a little bit of everything for everyone: heroes, demi-gods, Gods, romance, ancient kings, adventure, lust for fame, and the sorrows of death.

Tizzy | 6 comments I just finished reading this!

And I liked it. No, I jest. I loved it.

I had never before read Homer's epic poems because, well, it sounded like they might be a bit boring to read, what with being three-thousand years old and all that? But this retelling, using current-day narrative and giving it a proper order was basically what the doctor ordered.

This book took me in from the get-go, surrounded me in its ancient setting, and kept me reading until its inevitably sad ending where a cliché is averted nonetheless.

If you're considering reading this, go for it. I'm already jonesing for more (though I have Circe loaded on my kindle already and intend to read that soon enough).

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5310 comments Glad to see people are enjoying this one. I picked up a copy, but haven't had time to get to it yet. What is the writing style like? Is it more old school, as if you're reading a classic mythology book (thinking Homer here), or is it more contemporary writing with those same classic characters and ancient setting?

Corina | 1224 comments Hi Kristie, it's not written in the Homer style, but contemporary writing. Personally, really liked her writing style, found it poetically descriptive in a good way 😊

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - added it

Kristie | 5310 comments Thanks, Corina!

Corina | 1224 comments No worries, Kristie! Hope you'll enjoy it!

Erin :) It makes me happy to see this as the BOTM. :) I read it (checks history) back in February 2017 and it grabbed my heart and wrung it out. The story of Achilles and Patroclus has nestled in my heart since I first learned of it.

The writing was lovely. And although I knew what would happen and the general shape of the story, how it all came together was striking.

I'm reviewing some of the highlights I made and just those alone are making me well up with emotion.

I would like to re-read the book, but I'm not sure I am emotionally prepared to do so at the present time.

I am glad others are enjoying it!

One of my favorite quotes:

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Candice (last edited Jul 31, 2018 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Candice I plan to read Circe and I recently realized that it is book two of the series. So far, I’m really enjoying The Song of Achilles. It’s fun to discover that it is also a book of the month!

I’m absolutely loving this book!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Song of Achilles (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Madeline Miller (other topics)