Play Book Tag discussion

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2)
This topic is about Catching Fire
Archive: Other Books > Catching Fire / Suzanne Collins - 2.5**

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6402 comments Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins
Catching Fire – Suzanne Collins
Digital audiobook narrated by Carolyn McCormick
2.5**

Book two in the Hunger Games trilogy. Fast-paced formula continues with the characters facing numerous challenges and struggling with whom to trust and which alliances to forge in order to survive and win. Another cliff-hanger ending forcing the reader to buy yet another book (or get it from the library) in order to finish the story. I thought Collins was stretching things out to fill the pages.

Katniss seemed much less the strong-female heroine in this episode than she did in the first. But that was primarily because Collins chose (view spoiler)

Carolyn McCormick does a fantastic job of narrating the audiobook. I did get a little confused a few times about which character was speaking, but that was mostly because I was bored with the book and not paying close attention. It is NOT a reflection of McCormick’s skill in narrating.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Karin (last edited Jun 15, 2018 01:40PM) (new) - added it

Karin | 7470 comments It's easier to keep track of characters in this one in print, I think, and it was designed as a trilogy from the get-go. However, it's clearly not your cup of tea. Also, I found the movie better than the book for this one, although I liked it better than you did. I think the entire series is better in print and I have heard the audiobook. The narrator is good, but I think it works better on the printed page and in the movies (but am not happy with all of the deletions in the movies).

Amy N. | 256 comments I read the first two, but I never did read Mockingjay. I intended to for about five minutes after putting down Catching Fire, but by the the time it came out my feelings for the series had waned quite a bit. To me, Catching Fire felt like just a rehash of the first book, and an inferior one at that. The gymnastics required to get everybody back in the ring were glaringly obvious, if at least somewhat believable in the world. Just because the first book took place in a gladiator ring doesn't mean the second one has to as well. Frankly, I still think The Hunger Games would have been fine as a standalone. Better, maybe.

LibraryCin | 9071 comments I listened to the first two on audio, and loved them both (though the first was better... this one, in my opinion, got better in the 2nd half, once the games started again)! Read the last one in print.

message 5: by Karin (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:26PM) (new) - added it

Karin | 7470 comments Amy N. wrote: "I read the first two, but I never did read Mockingjay. I intended to for about five minutes after putting down Catching Fire, but by the the time it came out my feelings for the series had waned qu..."

Actually, Mockingjay does bring a change and other things. Hunger Games ending where it did left them still in a horrible dystopia. That said, the first book was stronger, but I still liked this one, and it ends on such a cliff hanger, and there are some big surprises in the last book. That said, I wasn't thrilled with a few things in the last book.

I personally think this works best as a trilogy and have read all 3 plus seen the movies with my kids. BUT I'd have never read them if my kids weren't reading them while they were still homechooling and it was part of the curriculum for one of them.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6402 comments Well, if "dystopia" wins for next month's tag I guess I could read Mockingjay

message 7: by Karin (new) - added it

Karin | 7470 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Well, if "dystopia" wins for next month's tag I guess I could read Mockingjay"

There you go, all set :)!

To be honest, Hunger Games isn't the best y/a dystopian trilogy out there, but it is certainly the most popular and definitely remains better than the Divergent series does-that one is totally undermined by the third book.