What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA fiction book about young English girl traveling, she ends up in a harem

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tiara (new)

Tiara | 9 comments I read this book about 15 years ago so my details are a bit fuzzy, but it was about a young English girl (probably a preteen) who left home (either to go to school abroad or because something happened to her parents). The setting/time period was long ago when ships were needed for travel. I there may have been a ship on the cover. She is very pretty, young, and traveling alone. She ends up in a harem. I remember that detail for sure. Luckily, she manages to get out of it before long. She has stereotypical English features. She does odd jobs everywhere she goes. She was a servant at a house at one point so I'm thinking something probably happened to her parents. That's about all I remember.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:24PM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Tiara, is the girl travelling from England to another country? In which which does she end up in a harem? Was she traveling by ship or train?

What's the genre or tone - adventure, mystery, thriller, fantasy, romance, angsty, etc.? Does she have a romantic interest?

message 3: by Kris (last edited Jun 16, 2018 05:25PM) (new)

Kris | 36623 comments Mod
Is the girl very rich or royalty (e.g., The Princess And The Captain by Anne-Laure Bondoux? This book has different cover images.

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsearch > Keywords: english harem | 1970-2007 | Juvenile | Fiction | Book | English

message 4: by Tiara (new)

Tiara | 9 comments Kris wrote: "Is the girl very rich or royalty (e.g., The Princess And The Captain by Anne-Laure Bondoux? This book has different cover images.

http://www.worldcat.org/advancedsea..."

No, the girl wasn't a princess, nor was she destined to marry someone. Her travels set out from England. I don't remember which country she found herself in when she was in the harem. She traveled by ship. I think upon exiting the ship, she found herself caught by the harem master. It was adventure and suspense. I don't remember a specific romance interest. This book was so odd because I found it was geared for young-ish readers (pre-teens/teens?) but included the harem (no graphic details) as part of the plot.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40687 comments Mod
Tiara, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Princess and the Captain (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Anne-Laure Bondoux (other topics)