UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

The Handmaid's Tale (The Handmaid's Tale, #1)
This topic is about The Handmaid's Tale
Book Recommendations > Handmaid's Tale *beware of spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments I've just started this after debating about reading it for ages.
It's a good read so far but some of it has just got me. I always presumed it was set in the past, not a dystopian future so close to our own. I can't get my head around how you get to a position where the norms in the book are accepted by the masses as the norm, within such a short time frame.

message 2: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I thought it was a historical novel too, that really shocked me. I have only seen the first series on TV but if the book follows the series then the process of getting to that position is revealed in bits and pieces.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'm gonna add a spoiler alert to the thread title.
Hope that's okay with you, Claire. I'd just hate to spoil what I think is a marvellous book for anyone.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That done...

You gave it TWO STARS, Jud??? Sheesh.

I think the scary thing is that it's entirely possible for those social norms to be accepted so quickly.

Look at what the Trump administration has got away with and continues to get away with.

message 5: by Benjamin (last edited Jun 15, 2018 05:17AM) (new) - added it

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) I enjoyed this but it's a very sparse, thin novel - I think that only adds to the power of the ideas/images it contains, but it's a fairly strong contrast to the more detailed take in the TV series.

The only part I'm not sure about is the epilogue/postscript - I'll be interested to see what other people think of it.

Atwood also uses much denser characters and descriptions in her other dystopian work, Oryx and Crake and its sequals.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Loved that series too. Love everything by Atwood. She's a Canadian treasure.

I need to re-read it. I don't recall the epilogue.

message 7: by Benjamin (new) - added it

Benjamin Appleby-Dean (benjaminappleby-dean) Patti (baconater) wrote: "Loved that series too. Love everything by Atwood. She's a Canadian treasure.

I need to re-read it. I don't recall the epilogue."

It's (view spoiler)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Criminy, I don't recall that at all!

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments Spoiler alert is a great idea Patti. And thanks for putting the epilogue bit in a spoiler tag Ben, I've not finished it yet! :)

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments I agree, it is scary that I can see how those ideals start. It's the apparent (I'm not quite halfway through yet) complete acceptance of them that stunned me.
That and the whole Japanese visitors bit near the start.

message 11: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "That done...

You gave it TWO STARS, Jud??? Sheesh.

I think the scary thing is that it's entirely possible for those social norms to be accepted so quickly.

Look at what the Trump administration ..."

I don't remember reading it. I think I read something else that I thought was the handmaids tale, nothing in the TV series rang a bell with me at all. I intend on giving it another go.

message 12: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I love the first review

"Oct 18, 2016 Everly Anders rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was written a long time ago but it still stands true to what's happening today! I highly recomend."

1985 is a long time ago? Granted it was before I was born but I wouldn't say it was a long time ago... 1885, yes but not 1985!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Before you were born. Sheesh.

message 14: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Before you were born. Sheesh."

Only marginally!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments ✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl) wrote: "Spoiler alert is a great idea Patti. And thanks for putting the epilogue bit in a spoiler tag Ben, I've not finished it yet! :)"

I should really learn how to do the spoiler thiny.

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) | 4619 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Before you were born. Sheesh."

Feeling very old. We had our kids very late - and the first was 1986.

message 17: by ✿Claire✿ (last edited Jun 17, 2018 08:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

✿Claire✿ (clairelm) | 3056 comments (view spoiler)

The book itself makes you think though, I think that's the best bit about it. And it's frightening because I can see it happening in the future.

message 18: by Jim (last edited Jun 17, 2018 09:22AM) (new)

Jim | 22179 comments ✿Claire✿ (Tiny Owl) wrote: "[spoilers removed]

The book itself makes you think though, I think that's the best bit about it. And it's frightening because I can see it happening in the future."

remember that everything passes. One of the most important reasons to stick with democracy, even if the democracy produces results we don't like, is that so long as people believe in democracy we have a chance to defeat evil without violence

I've never read the book but when people started talking about it I glanced at the wiki :-)
I'd say the society described is a pretty evil place for anybody to live, male or femalee

message 19: by Jacquelynn (new)

Jacquelynn Luben (jackieluben) | 278 comments I don't like dystopias. Not because there not well written; I just don't want to think about possible unpleasant scenarios.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments They can be very disturbing but they do teach empathy.

David Hadley | 4873 comments Maybe its because I come from the Black Country, but I rather like dystopias.

Handmaid's Tale:

I really liked the book - when I read it a long time ago now.

I thought the film was okay too.

But we found the TV series really slow and rather dull - gave up after about 4 or 5 episodes. Shame as I liked ‎Elisabeth Moss in Mad Men.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Slow and dull???

David Hadley | 4873 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "Slow and dull???"

Yep.

I wanted to like it, but there was a hell of a lot of hanging around waiting for nothing to happen.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You wanted car chases and boobies, eh?

message 25: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You wanted car chases and boobies, eh?"

Bahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

David Hadley | 4873 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "You wanted car chases and boobies, eh?"

No.

Boob chases and cars, though...

message 27: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Boob chases? Is that like Baywatch kind of stuff?

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jud wrote: "Boob chases? Is that like Baywatch kind of stuff?"

Maybe.

Or this:
https://youtu.be/MohiJL0KolU

message 29: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I'm in work, I'm not going to click that link.

David Hadley | 4873 comments Jud wrote: "I'm in work, I'm not going to click that link."

That maybe wise these days.

Glad I didn't include the other link that came to mind.

message 31: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments Sorry for derailing your thread Claire! I have the Handmaids tale recorded and I'm hoping to start watching it soon but I'd like to read it as well.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I watched a couple episodes of season two a couple nights ago. Nothing like the book.
Can't say I enjoyed it as much as season one.

I've still not started re-reading the book, but I've got it lined up on my kindle.

David Hadley | 4873 comments Patti (baconater) wrote: "I watched a couple episodes of season two a couple nights ago. Nothing like the book.
Can't say I enjoyed it as much as season one.

I've still not started re-reading the book, but I've got it line..."

I'm thinking of rereading it sometime soon too. But there are a fair few others of hers I want to read as well.

message 34: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I watched the first episode of series 2 last night, blow me it was all kinds of messed up.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ive caught up with season two now.

message 36: by Jud (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jud (judibud) | 18544 comments I really need to read it but I have so many other books I want to read to get rid of first.