The Sword and Laser discussion

Mortal Engines (Mortal Engines, #1)
This topic is about Mortal Engines
Mortal Engines > ME: July 2018 Pick: Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rob (robzak) | 6928 comments Mod
Per podcast #326 in July we'll be reading Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve along with another podcast Reading Glasses

terpkristin | 4222 comments I laughed when I realized while listening to the podcast that the threads would all have ME in them. :P

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

terpkristin wrote: "I laughed when I realized while listening to the podcast that the threads would all have ME in them. :P"

Haha. I didn't even think about that when I made the thread.

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 524 comments I did a brief double-take after puting 'mortal engines' into the Goodreads search bar. The top result is by Stanislaw Lem - and I thought that might be a bad omen in this group!

Joking aside, this looks like a fun read.

Trike | 8962 comments The teaser trailer for the movie is basically just the first paragraph of the book.

https://youtu.be/fupYIggOq38

Just goes to show how expensive and involved it is to bring our sci-fi and fantasy worlds to life.

Stephen Richter (stephenofskytrain) | 1391 comments " Children's Steampunk ! " at least that is the description. Maybe I can convince the younger twigs in the family tree to do a Summer read before the extended family get together. The kindle price is
$4.99 so that is sweet.

Tina (javabird) | 726 comments Great choice! I've read it before but will probably read it again.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments "Municipal Darwinism"... :)

Ruth | 1255 comments Read this ages ago and loved it so I think I will re-read along with the group. (I already own the paperback so no excuses there!) The steampunk post-apocalyptic world of this book is batshit crazy but highly entertaining.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tassie Dave | 3677 comments Mod
Rick wrote: ""Municipal Darwinism"... :)"

I don't think this is a spoiler, but I will tag it anyway.

I Googled that to see what Reeve meant by the term and was amused, (and aghast), to see that in the book (view spoiler)

message 11: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Rick wrote: ""Municipal Darwinism"... :)"

I Googled that to see what Reeve meant by the term and was amused, (and aghast), to see that i..."

AHAHAHAHAHAHH.... (breathes) AHAHAHAHHAAH

Trike | 8962 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Rick wrote: ""Municipal Darwinism"... :)"

I Googled that to see what Reeve meant by the term and was amused, (and aghast), to see that i..."

Except that the British version is a pun. (view spoiler)

message 13: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jun 15, 2018 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Trike wrote: "Except that the British version is a pun. "

Like (view spoiler)

Trike | 8962 comments Yeah, that’s why it works.

(view spoiler)

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments 'Bout time I give this one a reread, I suppose...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw that the audiobook is available through hoopla, if that’s your thing.

message 17: by Troy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Troy | 85 comments "Jason Werner I saw that the audiobook is available through hoopla, if that’s your thing."
Thanks for pointing this out! I'll return my Audible copy.

message 18: by Nicolien (new)

Nicolien | 1 comments I haven't read a book with the Sword and Laser group yet, so I just picked this one up on Kindle.

DonKelly Started a day early... all this time listening to the podcast and this is the first book I’m reading along to. Woo!

message 20: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments In the middle of moving into a new city. I was concerned I would be too busy to read along, but the audiobook option on Hoopla means I'm unexpectedly about 60% of the way through. It also distracts me from the 31° heat.

Anyway, the tiered nature of London reminds me of the Matilda from An Unkindness of Ghosts.

message 21: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel This series is honestly one of my favorites. I think it only gets better with each book as well. Excited to see what everyone thinks!

message 22: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jun 30, 2018 05:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm glad I watched the trailers for the movie. It really helps with the mental images while reading it.

This is the least spoilery trailer. Just a lot of traction city eye candy :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fupYI...

William | 434 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I'm enjoying it so far.

I'm glad I watched the trailers for the movie. It really helps with the mental images while reading it.

This is the least spoilery trailer. Just a lot of traction city eye..."

Thanks for posting the link. I'm shooting through the book as I'm finding it good fun. The trailers are pretty similar to my imagined versions except (view spoiler) .

I'm glad we're reading this book, it's been on my list of books to get round to for quite a while.

Trike | 8962 comments As I got a copy of the book from the library, I was amused to see that Stanislaw Lem also has a book titled Mortal Engines. I can only imagine Veronica’s dismay are accidentally getting that book instead. 😂

message 25: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments OMG!! We only have today to read Mortal Engines

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments Well, I've got 13 minutes left to read the remaining 53%... I guess I should feel lucky that I had a long train ride today.

terpkristin | 4222 comments Welp, this'll be another book I finish late, then. :P

Seriously, though, I finished Circe today so onto Mortal Engines it will be!

Michel Avenali (readershaven) | 6 comments I literally just discovered Sword and Laser podcast about a week ago and absolutely love it. Jumping on the book of the month bandwagon with this as my first book :)

Tasha Aw man! I was planning to go to bed early.

message 30: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Jul 02, 2018 12:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

It was set as Starting and Finishing on the 1st of July when the books was initially added to the bookshelf. But I fixed that as soon as I noticed. (Same day it was added)

Obviously the Goodreads app didn't get the message ;-)

Also no moderator love for Rob or I on the App :-(

message 31: by Rob, Roberator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yeah, I checked the end date was correct on the website, so I figured either the app was just completely wrong or that the end date had been updated.

Yet another reason not to use the Goodreads app. I pretty much only use it to make book status updates and nothing else.

For everything else I use Chrome in "Full Site" mode. It's a bit annoying to have to do that, but better than stuff being wrong/not working.

message 32: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Also no moderator love for Rob or I on the App :-("

I use an iphone 5s with a tiny screen, otherwise you and Rob would have been there too.

The Goodreads app seems to have many flaws.

William | 434 comments I just finished Mortal Engines while flying into London. Quite an amazing/creepy feeling to be flying past St Paul's (view spoiler).

Btw. I've clearly mentally filed this book under "Sword & Laser" because I can't stop hearing Tom Merritt's voice for Tom Natsworthy's lines.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2555 comments No sweat, I finished it 3 days ago!

terpkristin | 4222 comments Is this technically a YA book? I went in completely blind (I didn't even read the Patreon book briefing) and the first chapter felt...young. Not that I'm complaining, just curious.

message 36: by Mark (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mark (markmtz) | 2594 comments terpkristin wrote: "Is this technically a YA book? I went in completely blind (I didn't even read the Patreon book briefing) and the first chapter felt...young. Not that I'm complaining, just curious."

I think it was YA before it was cool or controversial to be YA. The book won a 2002 UK children's book prize in the 9-11 age group, voted on by 25,000 kids.

A graphic novel set in the same universe was proposed but never realized. There is some artwork for the comic at DeviantArt

https://www.deviantart.com/3-hares/ar...

message 37: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie (3x5books) | 110 comments As per the Wikipedia article for the book:

The original drafts were intended to be an adult novel, but after several rejections Scholastic said they might be interested in Mortal Engines as a children's story. In the refactoring the story was simplified, removing several characters and much content Reeve thought would not be interesting to children (city politics).

message 38: by Joel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joel Having read this series a few times, one of the things I really like is there is a large time jump between book 2 and 3 which allows certain characters to return as adults, and I feel the books become heavier and darker in theme as the series progresses.

message 39: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments "The book won a 2002 UK children's book prize in the 9-11 age group,"

Ah well, one less book to read (I sometimes enjoy YA targeted at teens etc. Not kids books.)

message 40: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rick wrote: ""The book won a 2002 UK children's book prize in the 9-11 age group,"

Ah well, one less book to read (I sometimes enjoy YA targeted at teens etc. Not kids books.)"

It isn't a kids book. I'm enjoying it. 40% in.

message 41: by William (last edited Jul 07, 2018 08:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

William | 434 comments Rick wrote: ""The book won a 2002 UK children's book prize in the 9-11 age group,"

Ah well, one less book to read (I sometimes enjoy YA targeted at teens etc. Not kids books.)"

This does not feel like a kid's book at all. I've finished the book and while the way some of the characters are introduced early on felt a little kid-booky, that changed very quickly. Most of the later scenes felt OK for teens at the least, and a few moments were rather shocking even for that.

While it's overall a fun adventure book, it does not shy away from some very serious themes, has some rather cold death scenes and contains some pretty gruesome moments.

I would not suggest giving this to your average 11 year old (and I've worked in a school library).

---
Edit: I was following on from Rick's comment in which "Kid's book" meant "for under 11s".

If you use "YA" to mean "fine for young teens" (as I do) then this is certainly a YA book, but not a "kid's book".

message 42: by Phil (last edited Jul 03, 2018 06:26AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Phil | 1186 comments I very much felt this was a kid's book. I'd peg the target age at about 10-14.

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2555 comments Phil wrote: "I very much felt this was a kid's book. I'd peg the target age at about 10-14."

Same here, felt very childish to me.

message 44: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2930 comments Interesting to see the different takes. I think I'm still going to pass since I've got about 50 books in the virtual TBR pile. I don't really get the attraction of reading young YA stuff and from this thread and some of the reviews this just doesn't attract. Thanks for the feedback, though, everyone.

Michel Avenali (readershaven) | 6 comments I'm about 20% percent into the book and really enjoying it. I will say that even though I mostly read adult fantasy I have to read quite a bit of YA for work. The book does have elements of YA in it, but it is backed by some very good writing and a great sense of adventure so far.

Tasha In the first chapter Tom spouts a "That's not fair!" I was thinking this guy is acting like a 10 year old. I wasn't that far off. Before starting I didn't realize the protagonist was a young teen. It does clearly feel like YA to me. Maybe middle grade, but I'm enjoying it.

Imaginative world and character development. The story has kept me interested enough.

message 48: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments *shrug* Dragonsong / singer / drums is YA and I liked 'em fine. Heck, I've read just about everything Rick Riordan has written. Yeah, different flavor, but still good reading.

message 49: by M. (new) - rated it 3 stars

M. Roe To me this reads like the novelization of a badly-written comic book. The story and characters simply aren't compelling. It's clear that the author gave no real thought to the actual science and engineering of the things he described. On the other hand, if I had read this while I was a young teenager, then I would probably have loved it.

message 50: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4282 comments Just started it. Yeah, YA feel with the 15 year old protagonist, plus his first issues are work drudgery / mean boss plus a bully. So YA. But the premise isn't any sillier than many other books I've read. I think I'll wind up enjoying this. In a bit of a drought on the TBR side, could read the others in the series.

« previous 1