Hard to Be a God Hard to Be a God question

what is the role (and its limits) for representative of "advanced" world vis-a-vis "not advanced"?
ANNA ANNA Jun 14, 2018 09:22PM
This novel was written in 1964, and it immediately comes up to my mind when I think about International Development.
The annotation says "The novel follows Anton, an undercover "agent" from the future planet Earth, in his mission on an alien planet, that is populated by human beings, whose society has not advanced beyond the Middle Ages. The novel's core idea is that human progress throughout the centuries is often cruel and bloody, and that religion and blind faith can be an effective tool of oppression, working to destroy the emerging scientific disciplines and enlightenment."
Acknowledging the authors (two brothers) as great philosophers, it seems that the novel has multiple layers of the multiple ideas. Yes, human progress is painful - as any evolution. And human beings (their societies) are naturally happen to be at the different stages of progress. And what would be a right role for a representative of "advanced" society towards "not advanced" ones. Is there a right of a human to interfere, at all? If yes, how far? Forced progress? Revolutionary? Forced development for the society not grown up enough to acquire particular features? On the other hand we have human life under the threat...
Strugatsky brothers in their early novels were portraying "superhuman" - a humanistic ideal, mainly inherited from Nietzsche... The Novel "Hard to be a God" examines is it a place for a human being to act as a God vis-a-vis "underdeveloped" realms?

Just so as you don't feel alone on the Anisotropic Highway.

I have also read this book, and your question is deep, but I feel on the whole there is no justification to interfere in the development of others, Rumata really should not have been there.

In Star Trek (sorry if you are not a fan ) the Prime Directive is a guiding principle of the United Federation of Planets prohibiting the protagonists from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations.

This conceptual law applies particularly to civilizations which are below a certain threshold of technological, scientific and cultural development; preventing star ship crews from using their superior technology to impose their own values or ideals on them.
As would have happen in this book had interference happened ..