Play Book Tag discussion

Island Beneath the Sea
This topic is about Island Beneath the Sea
June 2018: Magical Realism > Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl Coppens | 381 comments This is the story of Zarite', known as Tete', who is a slave and her master Valmorain. The story takes place in what will become Haiti and then in New Orleans. A narrator tells the story with chapters spread throughout the book in italics of Tete's thoughts. It is the brutal story of slavery, inequality, broken promises, family (both recognized and ignored), revolution, voodoo and so much more. Although a fairly long book I found it ending all too soon. This was another of those why have I never read this books for me.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6400 comments I am on a very long "hold" list at the library for this one (on audio)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8428 comments I loved this book when I read it. Allende is one author that I really have to be in a certain mood to read. I love her writing, and have two of her books sitting on my bed bench that I have been waiting for the mood to strike.

message 4: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I should add this to my TBR....I like books about New Orleans history since I lived there for a while.

Booknblues | 6866 comments I read this, but don't remember is it the voodoo element that puts it in the magical realism realm?

message 6: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I haven't read the book so I don't know about the specifics, but I think that almost all of Isabel Allende books end up with a tag of magical realism even if an individual book may not have the elements. This is one problem with the crowd-sourcing of shelves. Each individual GR user creates their own shelves, using their own definition and timing. I know that I generally put books on shelves before I read them.

Since Allende is a "famous" magical realism author, people may put the book on a magical realism shelf before they've read it assuming that it contains magical realism elements since many of her other works do.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6400 comments Just a question about setting .... is more of the book in Haiti or more of the book in New Orleans. (I have challenge in another group to read a book set PRIMARILY in the Caribbean, and was hoping to use this one to meet that.)