A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your July 2018 Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 234 (234 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5784 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Many thanks.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Her Last Word by Mary Burton
Dana

Not Quite Crazy (Not Quite, #6) by Catherine Bybee
Dana, Dana, Angieszka

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris
Angieszka, Sophie, Dana

The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Mandy, Dana, Sophie

You Will Know Me by Megan Abbott
Mandy, Sophie, Angieszka, Dana

The Negotiator (O'Malley, #1) by Dee Henderson
Dana, Sophie,

The Child by Fiona Barton
Dana, Sophie, Vicki,

No One to Trust (Hidden Identity, #1) by Lynette Eason
Dana, Vicki, Sophie

When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2) by Lynette Eason
Dana, Sophie, Perri

No Place to Hide (Hidden Identity, #3) by Lynette Eason
Dana, Vicki, Perri

message 3: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Christine I still don't understand what you are doing. Can you explain it to me?

message 4: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments What do you mean Vicki?

message 5: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis On post #2 you have lots of books and names listed. I don't understand how you came to put the names next to the books or where the books came from. I wondered if you could explain your thinking to me please.

message 6: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments I put those people’s names next to my books so other people can vote on them and my books are the ones that I’m currently reading

message 7: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis SO the books that have my name by them are the ones I wanted you to read and now you are reading them?

message 8: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I just voted and put up my selections for July so please go vote for me.

Christine, I see you have The Breakdown The Breakdown by B.A. Paris on your list. I have that one to read too. Would you (and anyone else) be interested in a buddy read?

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Christine wrote: "I put those people’s names next to my books so other people can vote on them and my books are the ones that I’m currently reading"

Thank you for explaining Christine. I’m still a little confused. I know that in your post you have book covers of your books. I’m not clear on the names.

Example: The Good Girl by Mary Kubica
Mandy, Dana, Sophie

Did Mandy, Dana and Sophie vote for “The Good Girl”, are you asking them too? Or do their names listed with the book mean something else?

Thanks for explaining.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Yes your right Vicki and your welcome and that’s the example and Vicki i’m interested in doing the buddy read and yes your right Vicki I will be reading those books in July very soon and yes Melanie Dana was the only one who voted for that book called “The Good Girl” and yes I did ask Mandy and Dana and Sophie to vote for that book called “The Good Girl” and yes I’m asking them too

message 11: by Perri (last edited Jun 18, 2018 07:21AM) (new)

Perri Christine, it looks like you have a system that is working for you

Vicki, Thorn Birds seems like a classic beach read. I read it long ago and barely remember except epic romance in Australia. Wasn't it also on the screen? I really liked Eleanor O. so I voted for that, but now I'm torn. :)

message 12: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Aww thanks Perri

message 13: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Perri - I think you meant those remarks for Dana.

Though I do live by the beach and I did read Thorn Birds as a teenager. :)

Christine - when would you want to start The Breakdown? Do you have a future date in mind?

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri OOps, sorry Vicki, although Without Merit seems like a perfect beach read as well. I do like to read outside in the summer!

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Vicki i’ll start whenever your ready

message 16: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis How about July 13?
I am going to be on vacation from July 1 -12 and don't know about internet, so I wouldn't be a good buddy during that time.
Or is that too late for you?
If it is ok, then it could give some other people time to get the book.

message 17: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments That’s fine with me

Where are you going on your vacation?

message 18: by Amber (last edited Jun 18, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Amber Martingale Melanie wrote: "Christine wrote: "I put those people’s names next to my books so other people can vote on them and my books are the ones that I’m currently reading"

Thank you for explaining Christine. I’m still a..."

Plus this is the CHAT thread for the July list, NOT the thread on which you post the list to be voted on, Christine. In other words: Once again you are doing it wrong!

On another note, I'm not going to be posting a list for July until at least tomorrow. I haven't been online since I left the library on Thursday and I didn't get to come back to the library on Friday or Saturday because of a an excessive Heat Warning and I had a funeral to go to on Saturday morning.

message 19: by Ann (new)

Ann Girdharry (anngirdharry) | 317 comments I think I can remember doing stuff 'wrong' on PIFM when I started out too - never mind, we all get the hang of it in the end... :)

message 20: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hello Everyone,

Thanks Christine I get your system now. You are listing books that people have voted for and/or recommended before to be voted on in both the “voting” thread and then again in the “chat” thread but in the “chat” thread you are the highlighting for people certain books and their previous preferences.

I don’t think it’s wrong, I just wanted to understand your system so if my name was there I would know what you expected. I agree with Perri..it works great for you.

So have fun and enjoy PIFM.

internet and texting is great in so many ways but sometimes when you can only communicate this one way it can get confusing as we all bring different experiences to the threads

Thanks for taking time to help me understand.

message 21: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Your welcome Melanie and I’m glad I could help

message 22: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments I agree with you Ann and Amber i’m sorry if I did something wrong again and that stinks that you had to go to a funeral on a Saturday morning but at least you went to the library and I think this summer heat is driving everybody crazy

message 23: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis I created a thread for The Breakdown starting July 13.

We are taking our motorhome and traveling from San Diego to Tombstone, AZ to Chericahua Mountains to White Sands National Park to Alamogordo, NM, to Roswell (think aliens) to Carlsbad Caverns to Guadalupe National Park, TX back to home! We are very excited.

message 24: by Perri (new)

Perri Vicki, we visited Roswell and kid you not, it started hailing!!

message 25: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 598 comments Sounds like a fun trip!! enjoy :)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments That sounds good Vicki and I hope you have fun on your vacation Perri that’s crazy that it started hailing outside and I agree with you Dana

message 27: by Amber (last edited Jun 20, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

Amber Martingale Christine wrote: "I agree with you Ann and Amber i’m sorry if I did something wrong again and that stinks that you had to go to a funeral on a Saturday morning but at least you went to the library and I think this s..."

Thank you, Christine. Sam died on April 28, but it took until Saturday to get the arrangements made, including cremating him. His widow is moving back to Nebraska to be with the family that raised her, but I'm not sure when.

Re: the heat: Damn right it's driving people crazy! And it's not even summer yet, astronomically speaking, until Thursday!

Ann's right: you'll eventually get the hang of this group.

As for my own list. I haven't yet decided if I'm gonna post the full list of ten titles or cut it down to four titles max until September.

message 28: by Melanie (last edited Jun 19, 2018 07:35PM) (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments I’m sorry for your loss Amber.
We have had heat warnings all week. It seems we went straight from an extended and record breaking winter into blazing summer heat. Such an odd year.
Vicki...that sounds like a wonderful trip. I have never been any of those places. I am imagining that it may be a bit like Vegas and the Grand Canyon?
You have all kept me honest I have forced myself to read books I have already in my possession. But I must admit I was offered a deal on “ Beartown (Beartown #1) by Fredrik Backman today and couldn’t resist. It has good reviews on here.

message 29: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Christine...I own The Good Girl by Mary Kubica and The Child by Fiona Barton . I would be interested in your opinions of these books when you read them.

message 30: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 19, 2018 11:57PM) (new)

Vicki Willis @Melanie I loved Beartown!!! Almost passed on it bc I didn't think I would like it and I ended up giving it 5 stars.

message 31: by Perri (new)

Perri Vicki Willis wrote: "@Melanie I loved Beartown!!! Almost passed on it bc I didn't think I would like it and I ended up giving it 5 stars."

I liked it too, but I find myself feeling reluctant to read the sequel. Have you?

message 32: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Your welcome Amber and ok Melanie and i’m almost done with my 74th book

message 33: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 598 comments I'm feeling the same Perri, I did like Beartown but I only read it because I won the ARC in the giveaways! Looks like it's getting good reviews though...so I may...

message 34: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Melanie wrote: "I’m sorry for your loss Amber.
We have had heat warnings all week. It seems we went straight from an extended and record breaking winter into blazing summer heat. Such an odd year.
Vicki...that so..."

I actually wore a dress on Saturday, Melanie. Not something I do very often. Hopefully, summer won't be as bad as the winter was.

I think Sam would have liked this song, event hough he was more a Lynyrd Skynryd fan. With the except on of the guy with the Maori version of the berserker's grin, everyone in the video is from the band's hometown: Waipu, New Zealand. Put the captions on as most of the song is in Maori. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrGHG...

Keep on truckin', Christine. :)

message 35: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Perri wrote: "Vicki Willis wrote: "@Melanie I loved Beartown!!! Almost passed on it bc I didn't think I would like it and I ended up giving it 5 stars."

I liked it too, but I find myself feeling..."

No, I haven't. I am not when I will. I did put it on TBR.

message 36: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Thanks Amber and right now I’m reading my 75th book

message 37: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale 137th yesterday. I basically have no other way of entertaining myself once I'm home, Christine.

message 38: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 6192 comments Oh cool and i’ve been entertaining myself by reading my books lol

message 39: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale LOL.

message 40: by Perri (new)

Perri Looking for Val :)

message 41: by Valleri (new)

Valleri Perri wrote: "Looking for Val :)"

So, I'm apparently still a blonde, even though I now have gray hair, lol!!! I'm reading the posts ... but I'm still confused. :p

message 42: by Perri (last edited Jun 21, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Perri Val wrote: "Perri wrote: "Looking for Val :)"

So, I'm apparently still a blonde, even though I now have gray hair, lol!!! I'm reading the posts ... but I'm still confused. :p"

Hi Val, no worries you're not the first and you wont' be the last! First would you like the group to pick a book for you to read next month? If so, list some books you'd like us to vote on in the PIFM July folder. Do you know how to hyperlink books in the add book/author tab above the box?

Second, you can vote on other people's book in the PIFM Selection folder. I usually keep two pages open so I can go back and forth. For example, Patricia lists six books she'd like to read in July, I chose the one I want her to read and post it in my July selections thread. Does that make sense? I've probable made it sound harder than it is. But hang in there and most important it's all for fun!

message 43: by Melanie (last edited Jun 21, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Val wrote: "Perri wrote: "Looking for Val :)"

So, I'm apparently still a blonde, even though I now have gray hair, lol!!! I'm reading the posts ... but I'm still confused. :p"

Hi Val,

I’m assuming you are new to PIFM...I still feel new and I’ve been doing it for over a year. The group is very helpful and friendly. Lately I’m keeping my lists routine by choosing from books I own ... im not a shopper but since e-books came out, I may have a problem. Lol

message 44: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8230 comments Hey, guys, I was a little late posting a list this month. So, don't forget to vote for me.

message 45: by Valleri (new)

Valleri Hi Val, no worries ..."

Thank you for being so nice, Perri. I get it now ... I get it! Yay! (You should write a PIFM for Dummies, lol.) No, I don't know how to hyperlink books in the add book/author tab above the box and I would love to know how.

message 46: by Perri (new)

Perri Val wrote: "Hi Val, no worries ..."

Thank you for being so nice, Perri. I get it now ... I get it! Yay! (You should write a PIFM for Dummies, lol.) No, I don't know how to hyperlink books in the add book/auth..."

Val, I didn't know until someone walked me through it. In no time you'll be teaching the next newbie! In the box as you're typing look at the top outside and you'll see "add book/author" click that and you can type in the name of the book then click search. At the bottom you'll see a choice of link or cover. Link hyperlinks the name of the book and cover will hyperlink the a picture of the cover. Some overachievers, Kirsten I'm looking at you :) also hyperlink the authors. Hyperlinking just helps voters to get more information on the book they want to choose

Melanie, don't forget to add my vote. I want to tie up your books haha

message 47: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1149 comments Welcome Val

It took me quite a bit of playing with the add book/author at the top of the comment box when I first started. I still haven't mastered the html part yet.

message 48: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 598 comments Welcome Val! 😊

message 49: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis Welcome Val!

message 50: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Perri wrote: "Val wrote: "Hi Val, no worries ..."

Thank you for being so nice, Perri. I get it now ... I get it! Yay! (You should write a PIFM for Dummies, lol.) No, I don't know how to hyperlink books in the a..."

Ok Perri...I’ve got your vote in and you are correct...I now have a tie between The Heart's Invisible Furies and The Nowhere Man...

To add to the Irony I started reading The Lady of the Rivers on a whim.

Val...help break my tie or I may be reading All Three!

« previous 1 3 4 5