Better Book Clubs discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (klzeepsbcglobalnet) | 43 comments Mod
Hi, Everybody.
I'm Kathy Leonard Czepiel, and I'll be moderating our discussion. I visited about 2 dozen book clubs to talk about my novel A Violet Season when it came out in 2012, and one thing I learned is that I love visiting book clubs! As a college writing professor, I have a lot of ideas to share as well. One of them is promoting the classics as great choices for your book club to read. I hope you'll enjoy this discussion so much that you'll try another classic on your own!

message 2: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Richardson | 2 comments Hi, Valerie Richardson checking in.

I have to confess that I read Middlemarch as a much younger person and didn't like it. When I think of the book, my mental image is of darkness. I'll be interested to re-visit it now that I'm much older and probably have a lot more dark experiences notched on my belt.

Thanks for doing this, Kathy!

message 3: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 5 comments Jennifer Bailey here. I’ve never read Middlemarch, but I have read many other classics and really enjoyed them. I will be on vacation during part of this, but I’ll try to keep up the best I can during those weeks. This is a great idea.

message 4: by Kathy (new)

Valerie wrote: "Hi, Valerie Richardson checking in.

I have to confess that I read Middlemarch as a much younger person and didn't like it. When I think of the book, my mental image is of darkness. I'll be interes..."

Hi, Valerie! I'm excited you're going to read with us!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Jennifer wrote: "Jennifer Bailey here. I’ve never read Middlemarch, but I have read many other classics and really enjoyed them. I will be on vacation during part of this, but I’ll try to keep up the best I can dur..."

Welcome, Jennifer! You can read on whatever schedule works for you. If we get ahead of you, no worries. You can chime in when you're ready.

message 6: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Tougas | 9 comments Hi Kathy! This is Jackie Tougas. I've never read Middlemarch, but it's downloaded to my Kindle and I'm ready to go! I'm excited about your online book club since I've never belonged to a book club before, online or otherwise. I was never sure I could keep up with everyone else in the group, but I'm going to give it a shot since I have an airplane trip and a vacation coming up in July. Wish me luck!

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Hi, Jackie! I'm excited to have you read with us! You can definitely keep up, especially if you organize the reading on your own schedule. The dates are just to keep people on track, but the beauty of doing it online is you can check in whenever you get to the chapters even if you're behind us. Good luck!

message 8: by Carla (last edited Jul 11, 2018 04:07PM) (new)

Carla | 5 comments This is Carla and I am an unpracticed reader of the classics. However, Kathy is an inspirational motivator so when I commit, I commit. Looking forward to seeing where this reading and reflecting path will lead.

message 9: by Rochelle (new)

Rochelle | 6 comments Hi I’m Shelly fromHamden CT

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Hi, Carla and Shelly! Thanks for joining in!

message 11: by Cindi (new)

Cindi | 1 comments Hi, I'm Cindi and I still need to download the book but looking forward to reading a classic I haven't read before.

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Glad you can join us, Cindi!

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Rerat | 3 comments Hi, I'm Susan and have not read the classics in over 20 years. Have never read Middlemarch. After a slow start and I am really enjoying Book I.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Welcome, Susan! Glad you're enjoying it.

message 15: by Bernice (new)

Bernice | 4 comments Hi, I'm Bernice. I'm in the generation before you! Seems as though all of us reading Middlemarch missed it in earlier stages of our lives. See my comment for Book 1.

message 16: by Bernice (new)

Bernice | 4 comments I live at Woodland Pond and I don't think I enticed any readers from our Book Group that meets monthly, except in Aug.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Thanks for joining us, Bernice. ;)

message 18: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Tougas | 9 comments Hi Bernice! I was hoping you might join Kathy’s book club.

message 19: by Bernice (new)

Bernice | 4 comments Jackie wrote: "Hi Bernice! I was hoping you might join Kathy’s book club."
Glad to join you, too!