Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Book Reviews & Quotes > Libraries are full of great quotes waiting to be posted here.

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) | 2812 comments Mod
Let's use our books this month to really add to our library of great quotes. Pick any quote you want, one that makes you laugh, cry, or one that you feel should be captured for eternity. I'm sure you can find one, but if not there is always page 46! I can't wait to see what we find in our library books.

message 2: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments From Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

"I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, buy my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was."

Charity - That is certainly a sentiment worth noting and remembering. How are you liking the book? I have heard good things about it.

message 4: by Charity (new)

Charity | 545 comments I really liked it! Just realized there's a sequel...so that means eventually I'll have to read that...at least this time it's out already. The last series I inadvertently started the next book isn't due to release until 2015.

message 5: by Susan (last edited Aug 21, 2014 07:58AM) (new)

Susan | 3439 comments Mod
Between the Lines, p. 46:

"He knew very little about fairies -- no one knew much about them, really. They somehow managed to learn the secrets of humans without ever letting a secret of their own slip out. But Oliver had seen the strongest of knights carried back to the castle by his peers after a hungry swarm of fairies had pulled every hidden memory from his mind. They were destructive and impulsive, and they never had any regrets."

message 6: by Susan (last edited Aug 21, 2014 08:50AM) (new)

Impact, p. 46:

"He walked back to his office, slipped behind his desk, and shoved Freeman's old gamma ray plots into a drawer and slammed it. Freeman had been right, Derkweiler was the boss from hell. Still, the gamma ray anomalies that he'd seen on Freeman's hard drive -- and that he'd followed up on at work -- were startling. More than startling. Freeman was right: it could be a major discovery, potentially explosive. The more he thought about the implications, the more frightened he became."

message 7: by Susan (new)

I am Forbidden, p. 46:

The boy tried again. "If I go with you, I will not fly to Heaven, but if I don't fly to Heaven, will I see Mama, Tatta, Pearela?"

Zalman strode past the boy. He banged on the kitchen door. "What have you told this child?"

Florina, in the semi-dark, did not look up. "To live, I told my Anghel to live."

"Doamma Florina, for a Jew, there is no other life than to live as a Jew."

All three of those are great, Susan. The ones from Between the Lines and Impact have really peaked my interest. :)

message 9: by Susan (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) wrote: "All three of those are great, Susan. The ones from Between the Lines and Impact have really peaked my interest. :)"

If you like science fiction, I do recommend Impact. I also liked I am Forbidden, but found it difficult to get a quote that gave a good feel for the book. Between the Lines was my least favorite, but a quick read, so little lost if you don't like it.

message 10: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments I'm a little late in posting -
Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke
page 126
"Because fear kills everything," Mo had once told her. "Your mind, your heart, your imagination."

page 147
"Perhaps there's another, much larger story behind the printed one, a story that changes just as our own world does. And the letters on the page tell us only as much as we'd see peering through a keyhole. Perhaps the story in the book is just the lid on a pan: It always stays the same, but underneath there's a whole world that goes on - developing and changing like our own world."

Lynlee4 wrote: "I'm a little late in posting -
Inkheart (Inkworld, #1) by Cornelia Funke
page 126
"Because fear kills everything," Mo had once told her. "Your mind, your heart, your imagination."

page 147
"Perhaps there's ano..."

LOve those quotes, Lynlee, especially the second one. Inkheart is on either my Moving Mountains or my LOST list. I really should get it read.

message 12: by Susan (last edited Sep 03, 2014 02:57PM) (new)

Oops. Almost forgot. I'd loaned this book to my granddaughter to read.

From First Light, p. 46:

When she felt more composed, Thea sat up and reached for her trunk. Opening it, she felt among the folded robes and furs for her box. It was made of rare hardwood, rather than sealed ice, and was ornately carved with an image of an oak tree, the symbol of the first line. Just looking at it gave her a feeling of peace. The box had been passed down through every generation of first-line daughters. Lana had presented it to Thea on her twelfth birthday.

Susan wrote: "Oops. Almost forgot. I'd loaned this book to my granddaughter to read.

From First Light, p. 46:

When she felt more composed, Thea sat up and reached for her trunk. Opening it, she..."

Your quote made me look up the book, and it looks really interesting, Susan. Dang, another one on my TBR.

message 14: by Susan (new)

readinghearts (Lyn M) wrote: "Your quote made me look up the book, and it looks really interesting, Susan. Dang, another one on my TBR. "

I know. I'm always amazed when something that's not recent looks good. I ask myself why I didn't hear about it when it came out, and have no good answer.

And the list keeps growing ... :)