Play Book Tag discussion

History of Wolves
This topic is about History of Wolves
Archive: Other Books > History of Wolves, by Emily Fridlund- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments This book is hard for me to rate. I'm not 100% sure if I really LIKED the book. But I loved the writing, the setting, the feeling and tone of the book- so I'm giving it 4 stars. Linda/Mattie was a great character, I really got to know her, as a person, I got to know her soul, and why she is the way she is based on her upbringing and experiences. I felt like this book was really immersive. The descriptions and detail put into the writing and mood really made the book. For this- 5 stars.

The plot was semi-interesting, with a non-linear timeline. This was a "how-dunnit" versus a "whodunnit". We know what happens, but we don't know how. There's also a second story line (Lily/ Mr. Grierson) that isn't super relevant, other than the symbolism and character building of Linda/Mattie. The reason why I'm not sure if I "liked" the book- is because I felt like nothing was really happening the entire time. We know what the reveal. There is a level of suspense to keep reading why things folded out like they did. We see Linda/Mattie at different parts of her life reflecting- but because of all this, story-wise- not much happened.

I might be in the minority- but my favorite parts were actually the future Linda/Mattie- seeing how all this effected her relationships in her future life. The Lily/Mr. Greirson story line was weird but I really liked it too. It definitely took until the VERY END for me to understand why the story line was there and relevant.

Susie | 4488 comments It was a four for me too. I really enjoyed the story and the writing style. Definitely an unconventional addition to the Booker list though!

message 3: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3834 comments Totally agree, Susie. What I also thought was weird, is this was largely tagged as 'young adult'. I definitely don't see this as YA.

Susie | 4488 comments No waaaaayyyyyy!