AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

This I Know
This topic is about This I Know
How did your parents' beliefs shape yours?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eldonna Edwards One of my main goals in writing THIS I KNOW was to juxtapose a minister's devotion to his belief system against a father's love for his child. Would he feel forced to choose one over the other? Or would he expand to encompass a belief that embraces the unknowable? Added to these questions was the increased challenge of a time period when children were expected to be seen but not heard. This concept felt like a perfect storm between righteousness and choosing what is morally right.

I don't subscribe to organized religion, but I still believe in the principals of most spiritual teachings, i.e., kindness & compassion. How does your relationship to your children compare to the your parents had with you? If you don't have children, in what ways did your upbringing shape your opinions as an adult? You can read more about how my upbringing inspired THIS I KNOW here: http://eldonnaedwards.blogspot.com/20...

message 2: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Thought provoking questions...My parents were much stricter than I was with my daughter. She is now a mother herself with two teenagers. And she, in turn, has a more relaxed approach than I did. But it is not directly related to religion. I was raised in the Methodist Church and my parents were active and insisted that I be active in church activities. They also believed in following the precepts of the church. I no longer subscribe to organized religion either but the principles of spiritual teaching are important values for me.
Although my daughter was not raised in a church, she holds those same spiritual values of kindness, compassion, integrity. There are other ways of teaching those spiritual values than through religion I guess.

Eldonna Edwards I love this response, Beverly. Very similar to my experience. However, my daughter went the opposite way--choosing a church-centered life over my more secular humanist one.

Beverly wrote: "Thought provoking questions...My parents were much stricter than I was with my daughter. She is now a mother herself with two teenagers. And she, in turn, has a more relaxed approach than I did. Bu..."

message 4: by Donna (new)

Donna Everhart (donnaeverhart) I found myself turned off by organized religion more than once in my lifetime - enough so we don't go to church these days, yet like mentioned by you and Beverly above, I have values and beliefs that align to Christianity. Because my experiences were not positive, I find I have a bit of an aversion to the behaviors and the rituals held by churches. The expectations and the subsequent guilt felt if one doesn't "conform."

I find God's presence in the world around me more so than sitting on a pew in a church, where everyone is looking at their watch, and hoping they can beat the rush to the buffet. :)

message 5: by Beverly (new) - added it

Beverly Eldonna,
I think children's reaction to parents is common. I thought through the teenage and college years that my daughter might react and become a true believer in a more conservative church but that hasn't happened and I am grateful.

message 6: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana  (dianabjarkofahrenbruck) I have to thank my parents first for bringing me up in a home that worshipped God in the Lutheran Faith. I had great friends, family who were other Christian faiths but living in a small farming community for 18 years, I was not exposed to other faiths. I have a deep belief in The Trinity and Jesus and The Word of God. Being a nurse for many years and in my personal life I have seen many miracles and know there is no one way to believe but we must believe to be saved. Organized religion is different to me than historical religion but that’s just me. God loves us all equally, it is then up to us if we love Him back🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

message 7: by Eldonna (last edited Jun 15, 2018 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eldonna Edwards I think a lot of people are choosing a more personalized spiritual practice than any organized group religion. So lucky to live where we have freedom to seek our own paths.

Donna wrote: "I found myself turned off by organized religion more than once in my lifetime - enough so we don't go to church these days, yet like mentioned by you and Beverly above, I have values and beliefs th..."