LITTLE BOOK CLUB discussion

Ready Player One (Ready Player One, #1)
This topic is about Ready Player One
AUGUST | Ready Player One > Level Three | Ch.28-39

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Caz (littlebookowl) (littlebookowl) | 114 comments Mod
The last section, what did you think of the ending?
Was it what you expected?
Were you satisfied?

*SPOILERS for entire book present below*

Abel | 8 comments Mind blowing!. I never expected a final battle like that.
I felt nervous when they were going to met ( even if it was espected to happen since the beginning of the book)

Sylvie | 3 comments So glad I read this book. I couldn't put it down, and although it was not perfect, I still loved it and gave it 5 stars. I do agree that some of the romance in the middle of the book slowed things down, and killed the momentum the book was building. However, I think Parzival needed the break up to happen to make him go forward and come up with his master plan. I am really grateful that this book club gave me a reason to pick up this book, as it probably isn't one I would've picked on my own, and I really would have missed out on a great story.

Lyndsay (pandas-space) | 3 comments I've just finished this book, and I was so surprised with the whole Aech Reveal. To be honest though I did believe the first couple of chapters made the book a bit slow to read, it took me about 3 days just to get through level 1. But after that it was brilliant. I didn't expect the ending for him to share everything with the other players, nor did I expect him to meet up with them, but I believed that it was brilliant that he did, and that they all met up with each other. I wish they gave a little hint of what happened after the story ended though, like what happened to all of them, did they stay in touch? Did him and art3mis finally get together properly, and if so did it last because they didn't know each other as well as they believed they did? What happened to shoto?

All in all though I thought it was great, a little slow at times but definately a good read.

Nina | 2 comments There was a giant robot battle... If that doesn't make this book cool I don't know what would.

Angela (angelaaaaaaa) | 3 comments It was a nice viewpoint of the world going downhill. I was thrown off every time they described the bleak reality, shows how effective OASIS is right? I liked how thought out the challenges, the gear, and the planets seemed. I liked the ups and the downs, when Parzival was out of the game in the middle, the Sixers dominating the scoreboard for a while (Don't you think with all their resources/cheating how amazing it is that they did not win?). Although I also agree that the romance felt a bit forced, like it was mandatory. I made a face while reading it, it didn't ruin it and I wouldn't write it off, just felt out of place.

I really liked this book, even if I know zip about video games and the 80s (I apologize, I kind breezed over the trivia, it made the whole thing believable and fun but my brain can't handle all that information). I was pleasantly surprised I couldn't put the book down without thinking about picking it back up.

Nina | 2 comments I had the same thing as bc879. I don't know anything about the 80s or video games. But I didn't feel left out and what you needed to know was explained. It did make me feel very proud whenever I did recognize a movie or a song or whatever.

BookNerdTori This book made my heart muscle feel all the feels! I just finished this book and I think it took me all of 2 days to read. I actually lost sleep and it was so great. I didn't understand everything like you guys, but I understood a lot because I am a part time gamer.

I loved this book, there were times when it was slow, but after a while with the battle I just, mind freaking blown! This quickly became one of my favorite books ever. I want everyone of my friends to read it.

I gave it 5 stars and I'm so glad we voted for this book it was a really great one.

Jennifer Stansbury (jennstansbury) | 1 comments I absolutely loved the book! It's one of my favourites this year. Although you could tell from the beginning that the narrator would win the contest I didn't expect to win it that way. I really want to go through and watch all the movies and shows and listen to the music. I've already watched war games and I absolutely loved it!

Alma (Diary of a Booklover) (diaryofabooklover) | 38 comments The battle!! asfdjasdflk My nerdy heart is extremely happy :D Definite 5 stars

Amelia Cook | 3 comments Such an epic ending! I gave it 5 stars and still can't get over the battle! Wade's plan was great and I was instantly wondering what he had up his sleeve when Level Three started the way it did. When Anorak showed Wade the big red button I assumed he would press it instantly as he'd started to take note of his real surroundings. I enjoyed the way the story built up to show that although the OASIS is great to spend time on, you shouldn't forget the real world. A great message to go with a great story.

Rachael | 2 comments I hadn't even heard of this book let alone vote for it. BUT OMG am I glad it was chosen. I could not put it down and finished it in one to two days. I liked the pace and the perspective of it being in two worlds but not really(I kept having to remind myself it was the OASIS and not the real world)and especially all of the geek culture. The overall message was great. Something I could defiantly relate to with being, practically, brought up on World of Warcraft myself. Its one of the best books Ive ever read, and will be I feel for a longgg time.

Caitie | 6 comments The ending really made this book for me. I liked the start but I became a bit bored through the middle section. In the last third of the book things really picked up. I mean a giant robot battle! What's not to love?
I rated this book 4/5 stars.

message 14: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily The ending was so EP

message 15: by Lily (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lily I loved the ending. SO EPIC.
Also the fact that Aech is a girl. YES! I like her so much more than Art3mis.

I'm going to give this book 4/5 stars because the romance seemed kind of oit of place and somwtimes there were these LONG description periods of things that didn't majorly interest me. But I loved everything else about it. :)

Bethan | 1 comments I finished this book a little over a week ago, this book was everything I've wanted in a long time. I was in full nerd heaven by the time i got to level three (well actually level two) i was even reading and eating - nothing usually ever comes before food.

I'm a gamer myself so I think i appreciated that it felt like a video game in itself and it was ironic that i couldn't get out of this world, as he couldn't get out of the OASIS.

Days after I was still thinking about the boss fight and the build up to it. I think the pace was great, it was recommended by a friend who complained there was bits he was 'waiting to get in to it' but i totally disagree I was happy with it.

I have read a few books over the last few years especially (making a big push to get on top of my bookshelf) but I can say this is probably the best I've read in a long time, a re-read is definitely going to happen in the future to research all the nods throughout the book and see the references.

summed up - NERDGASM.

Victoria (vickystar) | 13 comments I really loved it, right to the end. Really well written and well thought out. I loved the Aech reveal (although I sort of called it when she said "I don't look like my avatar".), and the final battle and scenes were great. It was one of those books where I was reading the end sitting bolt upright and getting twitchy! Haven't had so much fun with a book since Harry Potter :)

Amanda | 14 comments I loved this book. So glad I took a chance. I agree the first part took me a while to get into. I started this book toward the end of July and it took me about a week or so to read level one. Once I made it to level two, I finished this book is two days. Such a great book. I'm curious to see if they can actually turn it into a movie. they've been working on it for four years, so it definitely seems rough. Ernest Cline did an interview stating when he wrote the book he wrote it with the expectations that it couldn't be turned into a film and well he may just get that. Overall this book is a 5/5 stars for me.

Quinn (MissQuinny) | 31 comments I loved this book
I would love it if you guys could check out my review on my blog http://missquinny.com/ready-player-on... I linked the littlebookclub in my review

5 Stars

Victoria (vickystar) | 13 comments I just wanted to add how much I love that this was the first book I read in the first online book club I've joined. Seems very appropriate!

Charlotte (jumpingovermountains) Just finished reading Level Three in one sitting even though I never usually read so much in one go! This book had me hooked right from the start. I've been living these past five days in a state of permanent excitement. Entirely fabulous, a definite 5/5 stars.

Hanne (quitethebird) I just finished reading this, and oh my god, the book is absolutely perfect. I honestly loved everything about it.
It took me a while to get used to the writing and constant information about a decade I knew absolutely nothing about, but I was still completely hooked from the first chapter.
5/5 stars!

Shatha (idrinktoomuchtea) | 14 comments The ending was simply epic! I mean, giant robots, a huge OASIS war, a word from the Anorak himself, what's not to like! I liked how he met Samantha in the end too. The one question that's still on my mind is this: Will he ever press that Big Red Button?

Funnypill | 1 comments I read this a while ago and I loved it. I really like video games and it was amazing reading about this topic, but I got the feeling that even if you don't like them, you still can enjoy the book. As others have said, I felt that the romance slowed things a bit in the middle of the book (but maybe that was because I wasn't very fond of Art3mis). And the final battle was so epic!
5/5 stars

Michelle (mostlymiddlegrade) So... if every movie ever filmed were turned into a Flicksync, which one would you have to try first?

message 26: by Allison (new) - added it

Allison (allisonmarie199) I could not put this book down! I read it in two days before the month even started, OOPS! I loved this book both for its adventure and characters. I think this would make for a great movie adaptation! Loved this book and gave it 5/5 stars! I wanted more at the ending just about what happens next and the relationships but I was satisfied walking away from the book! Loved it, great choice!

Stephen  Alff (AlffBooks) (alffbooks) | 440 comments excellent read! This book needs an instant download button because It is so hard not to skip foward to see what is to come :D

Charlotte (jumpingovermountains) Michelle wrote: "So... if every movie ever filmed were turned into a Flicksync, which one would you have to try first?"
That is such a good question! I'd probably go for one of the Star Wars films, so I could go to space and fight with a lightsaber :D What about you?

message 29: by Nika (last edited Aug 08, 2014 11:13AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nika (nacitana_ljama) I absolutely loved this book and I'm so glad I picked it up.
Ready Player One is just epic and mindblowing and I love the blurb on the cover of one edition: Willy Wonka meets The Matrix. Just so accurate! Do you need anything else? It's great and so GOOD!

I could so connect with Wade/Parzival. I totally understood him. Even though I'm not a gamer, I am antisocial and I rarely hang out with real people and prefer my internet identity. However, he was a bit paranoic and weird but I liked him because of that even more because it showed us that no one is perfect. His obsession with Halliday and Egg Hunt was very interesting and sometimes kind of insane but I enjoyed every single second I spent in his head. What I didn't like (probably the only thing I actually didn't like) was that Wade didn't even feel guilt when IOI blew his 'house' away along with his aunt. He wasn't even sorry that they killed his aunt because of him but he felt sorry for some neighbour? I don't get it. However, when something like this happens in other books and character is drowning is self-hatred and guild, I just roll my eyes and want to slap them but now when happened something I wanted in other books to happen, I'm not satisfied. What the hell? So I can't really say it bothered me, more that I was surprised. Another character I liked is Aech. He/she is so cool and I would never guess that Aech is a girl. It was so surprising but so awesome plot twist because it shows how fake people online can be (even though she wasn't fake, she changed only her looks). Loved him/her! I liked Art3mis too, she was badass and cool and she was a fighter. I liked her relationship with Wade/Parzival a lot and it was so interesting when she didn't want him to see her in person but it turned out she looks almost exactly like her avatar. I also liked Wade a lot because he wasn't a douchebag at all with Art3mis at all, not even when he saw her in person and when he told her she's beautiful and really meant it. I just like those two together and I liked that there was romance in the book but it wasn't the most important (even though it distracted Wade from the Hunt a bit). Halliday was eccentric and weird but also a genious. That's all I'm going to say about him. Og surprised me. At the beginning I didn't pay much attention on him because I never thought he would be important but when he appeared later and played probably the main role in the ending, it was fantastic and I liked him a lot. Sorrento is terrible, selfish, evil bastard and I hate him and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. I forgot to mention Shoto and Daito. I liked those two guys, Shoto a bit more because we got to know him much better. Also, I was sad when SPOILER ALERT! Daito was killed but I understand that this was supposed to happen and I'm glad it was him rather than Aech or Art3mis. Still, it was not fair!

I have to say, Ernest Cline is a genious. That guy writes amazingly good and this book was so detailed, so many references! He did quite a lot of research and I loved every single little part of this book because of that. It all sounded really believable and I can totally see this happening in the future. The Hunt reminded me a bit of Willy Wonka's golden tickets but it grew to be so much more than that. So much more. I expected this book to be good but I never assumed it would be THAT good. It took me seven days to read it only because I gave myself time to process all the informations and plot twists that we got. The ending was perfect. I expected Wade to win the Hunt and when I was close to the end, I assumed he would share the prize with the High Five (Four now, since Daito is not there anymore). Finding the Copper Key and clearing the First Gate seemed a bit to easy but I liked how Wade couldn't figure out where the Jade Key is on his own. But then, next challenges again seemed a bit too easy but I got over that. I also liked how from the beginning High Five worked together, even though they didn't want to admit it. They did help each other all the time and they won the Hunt together! However, the last sentence of the book killed me. It was pure perfection and amazing conclusion to the whole book, like the whole plot lead to that point, to that last sentence. I'm amazed! I can talk about this book a lot more, over and over again but I'm going to stop because I'm overwhelmed with feels right now. This book was amazing and I think everyone can enjoy this book, no matter of age. It's really good and I loved it a lot, definitely recommend!

message 30: by June (new) - rated it 5 stars

June Luu (dtl0201) | 10 comments I just finished it.
It seriously BLEW MY MIND!! I love this book so much!! :D

Michelle (mostlymiddlegrade) Charlie - Probably The Princess Bride for all of the fun quotes.

Lucas (lucasaparicio) I finished it yesterday. This book goes straight into my all time favorites list, thank you so much for recommending it! I listened to the audiobook, which is read by Wil Wheaton. His narration is outstanding. This story connected with my inner geek, and to say that I'm extremely satisfied would not be enough!

Katelyn (peacelovebooks1) | 2 comments I finished this book a couple of days ago and loved it! I'm so glad I read it. The ending made me really happy. :)

Lorna Satchwell So I'm about to finish this silly book. I'm going to rate this book so LOW. I'm disappointed how hipster 80s this book is. No mention of the real 80s just rock music,chick flicks, and video games.

Real 80s was boxing, basketball, good candy and soda, awesome cartoons, and best of all Micheal Jackson. How in tf isn't Micheal Jackson mentioned once in this book!?!?!!

message 35: by sara (new) - rated it 1 star

sara (brisingrs) I think that, as everyone else, I really did enjoy the final battle! That part was really exciting, I really thought that, with a good ending, I would have rated it 4/5. But the romance and that ending ruined it for me. The love part feels really forced, it could've been so much better without it, to keep it in the feeling of the videogames, but yeah...

I really wanted to know more about what happens after! How Shoto looks like right now in real life? He was so great in this last part, favorite character hands down! Aech is the coolest!!
And although Art3mis is really smart, I hate how the main point of her character is to be Wade's romantic interest.
Also, did he destroyed Oasis, after he realized the real world is so much better? Also, how did the press interview in Oasis that Aech and Shoto gave went? But the talk with the lawyers?
I feel like the author left these points hanging in the air, but all in one, I enjoyed reading this book, finished it in two days. I really loved the MMO feel it gave.

Grace | 2 comments I love this book so much. I wasn't so sure about it because it's not really the genre that I read, but I was in no way disappointed.
I was surprised with the Aech plot twist but I thought it was really great.
I thought Art3mis was amazing and even though she had more potential than just being Wade's romantic interest, I thought she did her part splendidly and I loved how they met at the end. That whole scene was perfect. Didn't feel forced at all. Perfect amount of awkward and cute.
And despite how annoying Wade could be, I thought he was a good MMC. But I am also wondering about what he did to OASIS after he won. Did he shut it down? Were him and Art3mis the only ones to go and help save the planet? How did the IOI people react and did they go after him?
But again, I loved this book. Hope the other ones we read are just as great :)

message 37: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie (bashfulnights) | 10 comments Just the way Level 3 is starting off the ending is going to be big. I can't wait. What is this suicide mission you got going on Wade?

Celine The Bookish Queen (celinethequeen) I'm so freaking happy! My prediction was right, Aech is a girl haha

Celine The Bookish Queen (celinethequeen) That was amazing!!! Action-packed nerdiness to the extreme. BUT, and there's always a but, I needed more. Not much more, but just a little epilogue would have been nice. Other than that, it was glorious.

Amber (bookstacksamber) (bookstacksamber) I just finished this. The ending was AMAZING!! I enjoyed the whole book, but as soon as Wade/Parzival got himself arrested, I was on the edge of my seat from then until the end of the book. I couldn't put it down. I'm really pleased with the ending, and Wade's decision to share the money with the other three. I did not see it coming that Aech was a girl, but I'm really happy she was because halfway through the book, I was starting to get annoyed at the lack of female representation among the top players of the game.

I do wish there had been an epilogue, or at least one final chapter. I wanted to find out if Wade decided to shut down the OASIS, and what the four of them were going to do with all that money in order to save the planet. It would be been interesting to see a snippet of what the world looked like 5-10 years after Wade finished the game.

Kayla | 69 comments I just finished this an my goodness was it good! I always had a feeling that Aech was a girl...But I am so happy with the ending and I ship Wade and Art3mis so hard. Over all great read :)

message 42: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie (bashfulnights) | 10 comments That was awesome! I can't believe Wade was able to walk out of IOI so easily. I thought for sure an alarm or something worse would have happened before he got to the exit. Loved the taking down of mechagodzilla.

At the last second I thought Aech was a girl or a middle aged man that for some reason went back to high school. Definitely my favorite character throughout the book.

So Wade can live without Oasis now, but would that be enough for him to shut it off for everyone? I just wish there was just a tad bit more.

Kayla | 69 comments And did I mention that I loved the Mechagodzilla battle? It was great :)

message 44: by Brie (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brie (bashfulnights) | 10 comments Also I liked that Wade and Art3mis were going to be together in the end. Just in Level 2 I was annoyed with the "relationship"

Then there's the quarter. I was wondering what the world that would do of anything. Definitely better than I could imagine.

message 45: by Ellie (new) - added it

Ellie (Elliecrookes) | 3 comments i'm LOVING this book! itS really unleashing my inner spirit dragon into the world of reading!!

message 46: by Alex (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alex (koranika) I loved this book... I really did. But the whole... I didn't realize this quarter that took me hours and hours to get would actually do anything thing. I thought it was pretty obvious that that quarter would be the only way he would win the Easter hunt but ya know whatever.

message 47: by Emma (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emma Reid Absolutely loved this book! The battle at the end, the puzzles to fund the egg, the real-life teamwork that happened between the top gamers, the relationship between Wade and Samantha, Wade's development, everything was so beautifully spun together. It was such a fun read! Definitely 5/5.

Hayley | 4 comments I loved this section. When they died as soon as the gate opened I had to go back and retread the page. I am so glad they won. I love the relationship of this story and the last line of the book!

Annabelle (Arachnidphobos) | 8 comments I really loved this book, it easily makes my favorites list. think Level three was my favorite i loved the battle and all the stuff wade did to make it possible, it even had the cute ending. I would quite like to see another book on there life's afterwards and what they do with the money and all that jazz. but thank you little book club for voting this book it i wouldn't of read it otherwise

Ditta Reads (ditareads) | 14 comments Great book! I loved it. The characters were great, the story was super and o my- there was an epic robot battle. Awesome!

Hayley wrote: "I loved this section. When they died as soon as the gate opened I had to go back and retread the page. I am so glad they won. I love the relationship of this story and the last line of the book!"

I totally agree! When they all died it was a shock. Even though I felt like I should have known (the artifact that did it was mentioned earlier). But I also was so happy they won. Huge relieve. And the last line <3

« previous 1