Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Blackwing (Raven's Mark, #1)
This topic is about Blackwing
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Blackwing/Overall discussion/***SPOILERS***

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Vinca Russell (vinxlady) | 1365 comments I just finished Blackwing this afternoon and I loved it so thought I'd get the ball rolling on the discussion (hope I set the thread up correctly). There seem to have been a few books lately that have failed to live up to the hype, but this one really had me hooked. It's a satisfying story, has great characters and the worldbuilding was just awesome. I'm really struggling to pick out favourite parts because there was so much I liked - the creepy Darlings, the magic tattoo, the light-based magic system and all of the main characters. In fact I was really impressed with the detail in a lot of the characters, all of them felt like fully realised people which is quite rare in books with so many many small characters. It also managed to throw in a few surprises that I didn't see coming which was very satisfying.

I feel like I'm gushing a bit, but it's been so long since I've been so drawn into a book and I've really missed that feeling!

What does everyone else think about it? Anyone not like it?

Sandy | 1665 comments I thought the whole raven in the arm thing was really a new way to contact someone - kudos to the author.

I found the MC to be truly a great character. He was such a badster but so darn loyal. I agree the secondary characters were very well developed.

I usually don't enjoy stories where no one is mister nice guy but I definitely enjoyed this one.

Renata Riva | 14 comments I'm still in the first third. This novel reads really well and I like the dark humour. It's a very grim world, though.

message 4: by Lel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1993 comments I liked it.

I think I have seen the magic tattoo system before but cannot remember where. I loved the main character as well. He kind of reminded me of a Labrador, fiercely loyal and trusting but mean when backed into a corner.
I kinda saw the end for the romance aspect of the book though, there was no way that they were both going to live through the whole story. But I want to see what form she has taken in the second book.
This kind of reminded me of the Nightside series by Simon R Green. If you haven't read that Vinca I would highly recommend it

Sandy | 1665 comments Lel,

That is a good analogy - a Labrador.

I can see why you say that the world is grim Renata. It surely is. There doesn't seem to be much nice in the world at all.

This book reminded me of Bad Company series. Now mind you, I only read the first in that series. It was a bit too dark for me as I recall but that was a long time ago - maybe I should retry that one as I really enjoyed this one.

message 6: by Renata (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Renata Riva | 14 comments Sandy wrote: "I can see why you say that the world is grim Renata. It surely is. There doesn't seem to be much nice in the world at all."

I think that the main character's frequent sarcastic comments keep the tone light. It would be a very depressing story otherwise.

Sandy | 1665 comments totally agree

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) I am only a couple of Chapters in but really enjoying it so far. It's very masculine though - as is the lighter tone Kings of the Wylde that I am also reading at the moment. I really MUST pick up something written by a Woman soon just to change the pace a bit:)

Sandy | 1665 comments i am reading the Iron Thorn series, where a young lady is the MC. It is also on the dark side but more your traditional fantasy. The world is pretty well developed and I like some of the characters. But the kindly folk - might be considered elves are not so kindly so I would say rather dark. Check it out...

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Definitely sounds like something to look into, thanks Sandy. Is that Caitlin Kittredge's Iron Thorn?

Sandy | 1665 comments Yes it is - sorry I should have linked it. The Iron Thorn

message 12: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan | 158 comments Finished last night and I thought this one was a lot of fun, though some of the subplots were a little formulaic.

I'm very intrigued by all the magical characters in the novel (Glen Maldon, who definitely isn't dead, and Saravor + all the Nameless and the Kings). I also enjoyed Nenn and Tnota, despite their limited page time, and Galharrow was serviceable enough (MCs are never the characters I gravitate toward, so that's not unusual for me).

Ezabeth felt as though she could have been more developed as her own character. I didn't really get a sense of her, unlike many of the other side characters. Dantry seemed to have much more development. I'm hoping when she comes back in future volumes she'll have more personality beyond being the love interest. That said, I'm worried that future books will use her transformation as an excuse to make her beautiful again, which rubs me rather the wrong way.

The writing was quick and easy to read (definitely not bad at all), although I found myself wishing a little more care had been paid to the prose on occasion.

Definitely an enjoyable read and a series I'm curious enough about to continue, but it didn't blow me away in the way the reviews I'd read suggested it would.

message 13: by Maria Hill (last edited Jun 28, 2018 03:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maria Hill AKA MH Books (mariahilldublin) Steve wrote: "Ezabeth felt as though she could have been more developed as her own character. I didn't really get a sense of her, unlike many of the other side characters. Dantry seemed to have much more development. I'm hoping when she comes back in future volumes she'll have more personality beyond being the love interest. That said, I'm worried that future books will use her transformation as an excuse to make her beautiful again, which rubs me rather the wrong way.
."

I am with you there, but the love interest is often a character that is underdeveloped in first person narratives. I think if the second book is written from a different perspective we may learn more about her.

I love how kick-ass the Women were in this book and I notice that none of the main characters were particularly good looking and so I would be really surprised if Ed made her scars go away in the second. But we shall see I guess.

I have had this book on my TBR since Gollancz first started sending out ARCs last year (they had black dipped pages - so pretty). It was nothing like I expected but I really enjoyed it. I thought Ed did an amazing job of tying up all loose ends, - all the hints he gave as to where this was going and I did not pick up in it.

Overall a great choice folks.

message 14: by Alan (new) - added it

Alan | 158 comments Maria wrote: "Steve wrote: "Ezabeth felt as though she could have been more developed as her own character. I didn't really get a sense of her, unlike many of the other side characters. Dantry seemed to have muc..."

I hope you're right! A new perspective was something I hadn't anticipated, and I would be very excited to see that, especially if it was someone very different from Galharrow (not because I didn't enjoy him, but because I love getting conflicting and diverse perspectives on a world as I find it really fleshes out the story).

Sandy | 1665 comments You know now that you mention it, none of the characters was very good looking or even had their stuff together very well. All pretty flawed but interesting.

Renata Riva | 14 comments I finished yesterday and I really enjoyed, although I'm not exactly a grimdark fan. I have especially enjoyed the unsettling creatures of this story world and the irony that never leave the main character, not even in the darkest moments.

N.E.C.C. | 130 comments I liked this a lot. It was fun and entertaining.
A lot of development for the characters. I love how much Galharrow change, he is one person at the beginning of the book and by the end he's diferent, loved it. I had a littile problem with Ezabeth, mainly i didn't get her so much, i don't know. I would've like her to be more developed.
The story was really good, i had a blast with it,
There was a lot of mystery surranding some characters and some places (like the misery). I hope we get more informationg about those in the next book of the series,