SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Reading Discussions > Us Against You

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 142 comments Mod
Monday, June 18, we'll start our next book. If you go to the 2018 Adult Summer Reading Challenge thread there are several prompts to choose from. We just read one for the musician category. I nominate Us Against You, for book in a series, mostly because I can't wait to read it! If you liked A Man Called Ove you'll love Backman's other novels.

message 2: by Monica (new)

Monica (monicals) | 7 comments I just started reading Us Against You, and it is hard to put down. It seems to be a very timely story, with everything that is going on. The tribal, divisive behavior in the story mirrors what we are living through now. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm loving this story.

message 3: by Brianna (new)

I am finding it just as hard to put down. I can already tell that this book is going to make me cry. Backman does such an amazing job at bringing characters to life. It feels like, as you say, we know these characters and can recognize their personalities in real life. I can't wait to see where this story goes.

message 4: by Brianna (new)

I just finished Us Against You and wow! The characters are all so visceral it's like you've met them in real life. As I was finishing I noticed a blurb on the back that said Backman is the Dickens of our time. Do you think that's an apt comparison?