YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Challenge Archive > The Magic Number Challenge July 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 1,439 (1439 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 85745 comments Mod
The Magic Number Challenge

This will be a team reading challenge which will run from July 1st 2018, to July 31st 2018 inclusively. Results will be announced on August 1st 2018.

To complete this challenge, participants will be split into teams. Each team will read books of their own choice (which fit the challenge guidlines), and points will be awarded based on the length of the book, and whether you have buddy read your book.
You may also choose to take part in this challenge as a solo participant ☺

message 2: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jul 03, 2018 03:10AM) (new)

How it works:

For this challenge, 3 is the magic number ☺

Simply read books which fit the descriptions below -

Descriptions:
* Book has a 3 letter word in the title
* Book has 3 words in title
* Book has the number 3 in the title.
* Number of letters in the title is divisable by 3
* Book has the same word repeated 3 times in the title.
* Book is 3rd in a series.
* Book is part of a 3 book series.
* Book has a page count which has the number 3 in it.
* Book has a page count which is divisable by 3
* Book was first published in the 3rd month of the year (March).
* Book was first published on the 3rd day of any month.
* Book was first published in a year ending in 3 - 1993, 2003, 2013 etc.
* Book was first published in a year which is divisible by 3 (eg: 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2004, 2001, 1998, 1995, 1992)
* Book has an average rating which has a number 3 in it.
* Book has the number 3 in its number of ratings, or number of reviews.
* Book has the number 3 in its ISBN/ASIN.
* Book has exactly 3 points of view.
* Book is 3rd on a listopia list. (Please link us to the list when posting.)

Examples of books that would fit:
Lord of Shadows - 3 words in title.
King's Cage - 3rd book in series.
Carve the Mark - 3 letter word in title (the)
Caraval - average rating of 3.95
Warcross - page count 368
Light - published 2013
Everbound - number of letters in title is divisable by 3 (9/3=3)
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe - same word repeated 3 times - 'the'.
Private - number 3 in the ISBN - 0316096156

**Please note, for the 'divisible by 3' categories, the final number must be a whole number, without decimal places.**

message 3: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jul 03, 2018 03:09AM) (new)

Rules/Guidelines:

* Books must be read between the 1st of July and the 31st of July inclusive. Books started before July may be used, but you will only earn points for pages read in July.

* Books must be over 50 pages long, without illustrations. (150 pages minimum for middle-grade books, 300 pages minimum for poetry or books written in verse, 300 pages minimum for manga/graphic novels.)

* As per our normal rules, manga, graphic novels, poetry, and books written in verse will only score 1/3 of the normal points due to reduced word count. So 300 pages = 1 point.

* If your poetry book or graphic novel does not meet the minimum page count, we will allow you to add together the page counts of 2 or more books to make it to the minimum page count. Books will both have to match a description though, and must be posted at the same time.

* You are welcome to read physical books, ebooks, and audiobooks for this challenge, and you are also welcome to read in any language as long as you provide us with an English translation of your review/updates either as part of your review, on your team's review thread, or by personal message to either Abbie or myself.

* If for any reason you are unable to publish your review on Goodreads, it can also be sent to either myself or Abbie via personal message. Please let us know that you will be doing this before you do it though, and please continue to post on your team's review thread as normal, and stating 'review sent to Sarah/Abbie by personal message' after 'Review:'.

* Re-reads are allowed as long as it has been at least a year since you last read the book, and you write a new review or updates.

*A review or 4 detailed updates will be required for each book read.

*Buddy reads must have a minimum of 4 comments to count, and comments must be detailed, and about the book.

* Buddy reads must take place within this group (YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥) to gain the extra points.

* Descriptions can be used as many times as you like.

* There are no set books which need to be read, any book matching the description will count, so books can be chosen by the reader. Please check with us before reading if you are unsure whether your book counts or not.

* Please remember that things like average ratings, number of ratings, and number of reviews can change. If you think that the number for your chosen book might change to not include a '3' before you have finished the book, please message me to check it prior to reading it.

* For 'Book is part of a 3 book series' this does not include novellas, and all books in the series must have been published.

* For books with 3 points of view, it must be clear that the book has 3 points of view on the books Goodreads page.

* Higher page count editions may be used when claiming points for pages, but page counts for iphone/ibook editions will not be accepted, and neither will page counts for audiobook editions (you are still welcome to read in these formats, but must use a different page count). We also request that you leave us a link to the edition with the page count that you are using, if the book has multiple editions with different page counts.

* Please do not go back and alter posts once they have been counted, if you need to make a change, please make a new post on your team's review thread, with a link to your original post, and then explain the change, for example; a higher page count edition has been found, or a buddy read needs to be added, and please include links.

* You will only receive points for each book once, even if it fits multiple descriptions.

* Our regular challenge rules can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

*** If you are not sure if your book counts for the description you expect it to, please ask before you read it. Questions can be posted on this thread, or sent by personal message to either myself or Abbie.***

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Please be aware that I will be on holiday, and will not often have internet access between July 14th and July 22nd. Please expect to wait longer for a reply to a message or question during this time, or alternatively, contact Abbie who will be happy to help ☺
********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 4: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jun 28, 2018 01:55PM) (new)

* Points will be awarded based on pages read:
*50 - 99 pages = 0.5 points
*100 - 199 pages = 1 point
*200 - 299 pages = 2 points
*300 - 399 pages = 3 points
*400 - 499 pages = 4 points
*500 - 599 pages = 5 points
*600+ pages = 6 points
(maximum of 6 points per book)(Minimum page count of 100 pages)

*Buddy reads DOUBLE your points score for pages, so a 300 page book + buddy read = 6 points. 600 page book + buddy read = 12 points. (Bonus points for buddy reads will only be given if the buddy read has taken place in our group.)

* Points will be awarded as buddy read points + page points. So The Host at 620 pages would be worth 6 points for the pages, 6 points for a buddy read. Giving you a total of 12 points.

* Books do not have to be buddy read, buddy reading just earns you more points. So The Host at 620 pages, without a buddy read, would be worth 6 points.

*Mods will keep track of each teams points, using the following system -

Team name:

__________|_Buddy_|__Page____|__Total
__________|_Reads_|__Points__|

Name______|___0___|_____0____|_____0
Name______|___0___|_____0____|_____0

Team______|___0___|_____0____|_____0

This challenge will be a team challenge. When signing up please let us know if you want to join a 'Serious' team (reading 12 books or more each), a 'Medium' team (reading 8-12 books each) or a 'Just for fun' team (reading any number of books each).

You may also sign up as a solo participant, and will compete against your other solo competitors, as well as those people in teams. An individual leaderboard will be published at the end of the challenge.

Teams should be posted by June 24th at the latest. If you wish to join a 'Serious' or 'Medium' team, please sign up as soon as possible to avoid disappointment. You may join as a solo player, or join a fun team at any time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latest News - We do not currently have spaces on any Serious or Medium team, but we may do soon if people don't check in on time. Watch this space☺

You may still join a Just-for-Fun Team, or go solo at any time ☺
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Please be sure that you want to participate if you are thinking of joining a 'Serious' or 'Medium' team, as your teammates will lose out if you sign up but don't participate.***

Thank you! ☺

Challenge Widget - https://www.goodreads.com/challenges/...

Team Threads - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

message 5: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jun 22, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Participants:

Serious:
Leah
Jamie
Hannah
Jenn
Ashleigh
Carrie
+Tati
Astrid
Edita
✌ Ashley ☠
Jennifer
✨Skye✨
Sanah
Lara
Clephiro
Megan
+Melanie
Quirks
Julianne
Janor
Aly

Medium:
Iman
Lesa
Slytherpuff
Natalia
Andrea
Maddison
+Shae
Zihan
Amanda
Abby
•Lucia•
Siobhan
Ritika
Amanda Setasha
Elizabeth Emily
Sierra
Michalina
Ari
IZEVBUWA
Carolyn
María
Isha
Aelira
Bookbuyer
+Jackie
Ashley
❤ Aly ❤
Elizabeth
Nicole
Jacquelyn

Just-for-Fun:
Rachel
Keyona
Julia
Jordan
Mara
Rachel
Ally
Amilia
Olivia
Lilly
Michela
khungkhing
Sydney
roselovestoread
Becky
Riddhi
Floor
Susan
Becca
Guiana
Isa
Vivi
Himanshu
Gabi
Nikki
Caprice
Lakhsesis
Haley
Toni
Ellie
Vendea
Yara
Samantha
Tiffany
Disha
Chloe
Vanessa

Solo:
Ritika
Karen
Beatrice
Tiera
Mona
Katelyn
Sharon
Agnès
Alice
✦ Maica ✦
Kim
Nicole
Lucky
Yesha
Jasmine
Kirsty
Maria

message 6: by Sarah Elizabeth (last edited Jun 17, 2018 11:18PM) (new)

If anyone would like to read The Road to Nyn by Brian Michaud for this challenge, the author Brian Michaud would be happy to send out free ebook copies ☺ If anyone is interested, please message him on goodreads including your email address and preferred format ☺

message 7: by Iman (new)

Iman (imanayadd) | 207 comments I would like to be put in a medium team

message 8: by Lesa (new)

Lesa Divine | 1513 comments Medium team please....

message 9: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I would like to do medium unless I have a change of being put on the non competitive team with Felicia, Bookbuyer, Alícia, Andrea.

message 10: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added ☺

message 11: by Leah (new)

Leah | 2227 comments Serious please.

message 12: by Natalia (new)

Natalia | 1637 comments Medium please

message 13: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 231 comments I'm in!
Just-for-Fun

message 14: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added ☺

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments I'd love to join the medium team please

message 16: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11417 comments Serious please

message 17: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11417 comments For Page counts does the 3/divisible by 3 have to be the edition we use for page count, the one we read or any edition?

And for ratings/reviews it that what is was before we started? Because once we read a book, review counts change and others reviews/rating can change the number. Do we screenshot it or how does that work? Or hope that when we finish a book and it gets scored that it is on a 3...

☆☆Hannah☆☆ | 6073 comments Serious please and thanks!

message 19: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (tellingmelies) | 5745 comments Mod
Serious please!

message 20: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 48942 comments Mod
Haha yay an easier challenge! I think it could still be kind of tricky though.

I waaaant to go serious. Yeah put me in serious please :D

message 21: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added ☺

message 22: by Ashleigh (new)

Ashleigh | 3375 comments Serious please :)

message 23: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Jamie wrote: "For Page counts does the 3/divisible by 3 have to be the edition we use for page count, the one we read or any edition?

And for ratings/reviews it that what is was before we started? Because once ..."

Hi Jamie ☺ You don't have to use the same page count for the divisible by 3, and page points. Just link each one that you want to use when you post your review ☺

We understand that ratings and review counts change. If its on 3 million then you're obviously pretty safe, but if like you said its on 1143 (for example), then that will change when you post your review. If the book doesn't count in any other way, then you would need to message either me or Abbie, and get us to check the number before you start reading. Or, take a screenshot and email it to us ☺

message 24: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Ashleigh wrote: "Serious please :)"

Added ☺

message 25: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11417 comments Okay thanks Sarah for clarifying 😁

message 26: by Maddie (new)

That's a tough thing to do based on reviews XD

message 27: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Serious please :)

message 28: by Maddie (new)

Guys I need some recommendations.... But not book recommendations... Tv recommendations! Movies/tv shows appreciated! Just got on my 3 week holiday and I need some :D Preferably not detective/investigation shows

message 29: by Slytherpuff (new)

Slytherpuff I personally like reality tv. My favorites are Survivor, Amazing Race, America’s Got Talent and American Ninja Warrior.

message 30: by Maddie (new)

Ah awesome, I'm not really into reality.

message 31: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11417 comments What type of shows are you into or what are some of your favs? This way we can better tailor our recs

message 32: by Maddie (new)

Uhhh historical ones, drama shows, superhero shows. Nothing murder/investigation/reality. I'll even try some Anime. I'm not too fussy.

message 33: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 11417 comments Well a lot of these are older shows but some I like can include Gilmore Girls, Switched at Birth or Revenge, House MD, Dead Like Me, Lost (I deny the last season though!) for a few drama ideas. But I rarely watch heavy dramas so those are trickier.
Smallville, Doctor Who (any of them), Hercules, Xena, Heroes (or any of the dozen Marvel shows on Netflix)
If you can do asian dramas I highly recommend Boys Over Flowers.
For a lighter fantasy if you have never seen the mini series The 10th Kingdom that is a fun 6 hour run.
Anime: Emma (Victorian era), Romeo x Juliet (a unique twist of the tale with all the elements) or Nana based on those genres.
Other good anime of different genres: Rurouni Kenshin (start with Samurai X if you can), Ceres, Slayers, Tsubasa Chronicle, Ranma, Kaleido Star, Death Note (NOT the Netflix movie version...stick to the anime or Japanese live action!)
Others shows: Supernatural, The 100

message 34: by Maddie (new)

Oh gosh XD Sooo many! Especially Anime! And I'm up to date with The 100. I tried watching Supernatural, couldn't get into it.

I'm going to start with Funmbi's suggestions and see if I like any of them. Not sure if Jane the Virgin's going to be to my taste, but I'll see.

message 35: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Carrie wrote: "Serious please :)"

Added ☺

message 36: by Ritika (new)

Ritika Mendiratta | 616 comments I'll take solo this time!

message 37: by Zihan (new)

Zihan (rizareads) Medium team please!

message 38: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added ☺

message 39: by Tati (new)

Tati | 10171 comments Sign me up for serious, and if possible, on Carrie's team :)

message 40: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (boombaby13) | 4289 comments Tati wrote: "Sign me up for serious, and if possible, on Carrie's team :)"

Yay! :)

message 41: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sure ☺

message 42: by Amanda (new)

Amanda  (manka23) | 2385 comments Medium please

message 43: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added ☺

message 44: by Abby (new)

Abby | 5454 comments Medium!

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen Barber | 11328 comments Please put me in for solo again this month.

message 46: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments Maddison wrote: "Guys I need some recommendations.... But not book recommendations... Tv recommendations! Movies/tv shows appreciated! Just got on my 3 week holiday and I need some :D Preferably not detective/inves..."

Do you watch Asian Drama? Try Goblin, Boys Over Flowers/Hana Yori Dango, My Girlfriend is a Gumiho, Itazura Na Kiss / Mischievous Kiss, A Love So Beautiful and He's Beautiful.

message 47: by Beatrice (new)

Beatrice Masaluñga (beatricemasalunga) | 5358 comments I'll join for Solo

message 48: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Added Abby, Karen, and Beatrice ☺

message 49: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Ahn | 402 comments Sorry, I'm pretty new but I'd love to join the July challenge! Can you count me in?

message 50: by Sarah Elizabeth (new)

Sure ☺ Would you like to join a team? or go solo?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 28 29
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.