Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie discussion

Before You Publish > How Do You Start Writing for Kindle & KDP?

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments For those of you who publish Kindle and paperback books on Amazon, especially with Createspace going away... how do you begin writing your manuscript? Having only MS Word at my disposal, two years ago I downloaded CS templates and began writing, knowing I'd need to save and alter the file to upload it as an e-book. After everything I'd read, this seemed the easiest method for me to get started.

Now, with all the changes going on and Createspace going away, I don't even know where to begin. I've read info on the Amazon website and am still confused.

Again, all I have available is MS Word and the ability to turn it into a PDF. Would any of you mind sharing how you get started with preparing your manuscript for e-book and paperback? I truly appreciate any guidance and suggestions anyone has to offer. Thank you. Hugs

message 2: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments KDP accepts Word docs I think. So it’s not a problem. You can also download a blank paperback template from KDP and cut and paste your book into that when making the paperback.

Both Draft2Digital (for distribution to iBooks, Kobo, Nook etc) and KDP will take your document and more or less do the ebook formatting for you. D2D is very easy to use and will let you download different formats for uploading elsewhere.

I don’t know if that helps.

message 3: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I think D2D even did my contents page and my copyright page. It picks up the chapter headings automatically.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments SO embarrassed asking this. D2D is Draft to Digital, right? Is it free?

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Yes and yes. Brilliant find. I think Alex told me about it.

message 6: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I’d forgotten D2D did all those other bits. Have a look Sam, totally free to use. I did Missing Remnants on D2D and then uploaded what they did to KDP.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Thank you D.J. and Alex! I'll check it out. Just nervous about trying something new. So comfortable in MS Word. Hugs!

message 8: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments Oh no you write the whole thing in Word then upload your word doc to the system. I can’t be doing with anything other than word for writing books.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Oooohhhhh!! Thank you both! Yikes! *biting nails nervously*

message 10: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 1183 comments Go for it Sam! I write in Word too and as Alex and D.J. say, that's all you need to get started. You can ask all the questions you like when you're getting near the end as to what to do next.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Thank you, Anna! You're right. Hugs!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments However, may I please ask...

I've started all my books in Word after downloading a Createspace template that contained pre-set margins and sample text. May I please ask if there is a different template offered by KDP that I should start off with instead? Thank you. Hugs!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Thank you very much, Alex. I'm just a worry bean. Hugs!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments *smacking my head*
I didn't start off asking this question correctly. Please forgive me.
Over 2 years ago I downloaded pre-formatted templates from Createspace and actually have 5 manuscripts at various stages of completion. Hearing that CS was being absorbed by KDP is what prompted me to ask the question... as in, is all my data now in the wrong templates? Does that make sense now? I've been writing pretty steadily for about 3 years. Also don't want you to think I'm just getting started. Thank you for allowing me to clear this up.
Hugs to All!

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Thanks, Alex. Hugs

message 16: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Cooper | 1028 comments I knew I read you’d already written something Sam!

I’d do a clean word doc too. Then even if you were only going to publish with Amazon I think I’d still use D2D for the formatting and front and end matter because they make it easy.

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) (sammydogs) | 970 comments Thank you Deb. I just thought with the KDP changes everyone was doing something different and I was clueless. Hugs

Navigating Indieworld Discussing All Things Indie

unread topics | mark unread