Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club discussion

Creativity & Writing > Established Author Tips for Budding Writers & Creatives

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan, Moderator (last edited Jun 14, 2018 09:05AM) (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments Are you an established author who wants to give back to up-and-coming creatives among us? Extend your hand of experience by commenting here. I'll start us off.

In Proverbs 3:6, we're exhorted to acknowledge God in all our ways. That includes all the arts, like writing. So before I begin to create anything, I acknowledge that God is ready and willing to partner with me. Decades ago, the Holy Spirit encouraged me with an original piece of instruction I'll pass along to you. If it helps to remind you to call upon His help, put this note on or near your computer screen:

Open yourself to the greatest Creative Mind in the universe.

And let the inspiration begin!

message 2: by Christian (new)

Christian Keel (christiankeel) | 7 comments Carve out regular time to write. Writing is a craft to be honed over time and experience. Think of your writing time as if you're working out at the gym, strengthening that creative muscle.

message 3: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 446 comments So true, so true Christian. Don't wait for inspiration to come, but be disciplined. Thanks for your tip, greatly appreciated!
Christian wrote: "Carve out regular time to write. Writing is a craft to be honed over time and experience. Think of your writing time as if you're working out at the gym, strengthening that creative muscle."

message 4: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 446 comments True Worshipers by Marja Verschoor-Meijers
A few weeks ago my new book came out. Today I made an official book trailer. Authors, have any of you ever done such a thing?
You can view the book trailer on YouTube. I hope it inspires you to make a book trailer for your upcoming book!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0jZ...

message 5: by Susan, Moderator (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments Marja wrote: "True Worshipers by Marja Verschoor-Meijers
A few weeks ago my new book came out. Today I made an official book trailer. Authors, have any of you ever done such a thing?
You can view the book trailer on Y..."

Just watched your trailer, Marja. You did a wonderful job with it in capturing the heart of your wonderful book!

message 6: by Marja, Founder/Moderator (new)

Marja Verschoor-Meijers (marja_meijers) | 446 comments Thanks Susan, I think it can be a great tool for new authors to get their work noticed. If anyone is interested, I can explain how I did it. It is actually a Powerpoint presentation.
Susan wrote: "Marja wrote: "True Worshipers by Marja Verschoor-Meijers
You can view the boo..."

message 7: by Susan, Moderator (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments I know we have a lot of authors in this group. Do you have anything special to share with us about what you like to do to help you get started on writing a new book?

message 8: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Fugate | 9 comments I love reading and researching. I find inspiration when I dig deeper into a subject, things I never would've thought of before, new angles and perspectives to consider. Looking at new views seems to sharpen my own perspective.

message 9: by Susan, Moderator (new)

Susan (susanrohrer) | 284 comments One thing I like to do is to start off by making a cover. Having the cover art in place gives me a vision for the book and inspires me to fill in all those blank pages. Especially if I have multiple cover ideas, I'll send a composite to a few trusted friends to get their input, kind of like a mini-focus group.

message 10: by Frederick (new)

Frederick Herrmann | 1 comments Malinda wrote: "I love reading and researching. I find inspiration when I dig deeper into a subject, things I never would've thought of before, new angles and perspectives to consider. Looking at new views seems t..."
Agreed! Researching is the best! I'm currently reading Schmidt's and Corduon's books on "original monotheism." My mind hasn't been this effected since Hugh Ross's Improbable Planet. Cheers!

message 11: by Petros (new)

Petros Scientia | 11 comments Frederick wrote: "Malinda wrote: "I love reading and researching. I find inspiration when I dig deeper into a subject, things I never would've thought of before, new angles and perspectives to consider. Looking at n..."

Hello Malinda. Take a quick look at this book and see if it gives a new perspective to an old subject. http://RealReality.org/Real_Faith_and...

message 12: by Malinda (new)

Malinda Fugate | 9 comments This looks like a very comprehensive resource! Thanks for sharing.

message 13: by Petros (new)

Petros Scientia | 11 comments Let me know what you think.

Christian Nonfiction Lovers Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

True Worshipers (other topics)