Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Throne of Glass(Listopia)3 generous stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8434 comments Throne of Glass 3 stars

Well, it was inevitable that I would get to a book I did not really care for. The minute I picked it up the cover made me curl my nose up-the picture on the front is so similar to the author, I just thought "really?"

This is the first in a series featuring an assassin named Celaena. She has spent the last year at hard labor in one of the Kings mines, being beat up and humiliated. Mysteriously, she is pulled out of the mines and brought to the Glass Castle. Here she is told she will be entered into a contest to win her freedom and then become the Kings Champion.

The book continues with her becoming more and more attractive to the Prince, the Princes Captain of The Guard, and just about every other man that meets her. Meanwhile, all the contestants participating in the trials are ending up murdered. So the book gives you a bit of romance, and a bit of mystery.

The authors writing style did not appeal me to either.

I gave a generous 3 stars because if you enjoy this type of protagonist and story, it's really not that bad. I need my fantasy a little darker, and less predictable.

message 2: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments This one was totally ‘meh’ for me too. I loved the concept but plausibility became a real problem and it disappointingly turned into a ‘little girl and pretty frocks’ story rather than ‘badass girl assassin’ story, sigh. Plus the obligatory love triangle.

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8434 comments KateNZ wrote: "This one was totally ‘meh’ for me too. I loved the concept but plausibility became a real problem and it disappointingly turned into a ‘little girl and pretty frocks’ story rather than ‘badass girl..."

Did you bother to read the next one? I am on the fence...

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2672 comments No - it looked like it would just be more of the same (with some additional contortions). I really love series, and I find it difficult to give up on them but there just wasn’t enough of a hook for me here.