RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Buddy-Reads > Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King & Owen King

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Heena (last edited Jun 14, 2018 09:23AM) (new)

Heena Rathore Pardeshi (heenarathore) | 2222 comments Mod
Hello all,

This is where we are going to discuss one of the most talked about books of 2017 - SLEEPING BEAUTIES by SK and his son Owen King.
I've had this book sitting on my shelf for over 6 months now, waiting for this buddy-read and I, for one, am really excited that July is finally here!! I'm posting this thread in mid-June sot hat everyone interested can get their books ready - buy, loan or issue them in time so that we can begin as soon as July hits. But in case if you get it late for some reason or have other books planned before it then don't worry, this is a month long read so you can join anytime (though the most fun is generally int he first 10-15 days!)
I'm sure a lot of King fans may have already read it. But that's never an issue with bookworms cause we can always re-read the entire book or our favourite parts any time we like. If you're one of those who've read it then don't hesitate to join us for the discussions!

I'd like to begin the discussion by asking the one question that bothers me every time I find a book with an interesting as well as unusual blurb -
What do you think about this book?
Because there's only so much that can be covered in the blurb.

message 2: by Cheryl (last edited Jun 14, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Cheryl | 2260 comments Mod
I will be travelling next week, so I will get the book when I return home.

I have been told by people who read this book that they either love it or hate it. That intrigues me, because I want to read it and make up my own mind. I heard that feminism is a major theme in the book. That theme alone can be very polarizing with people, so I guess that contibuted to people's reaction to the book. I'm a little intimidated by the size, so I will be reading a bit ahead of time. It should make for some interesting discussions!

message 3: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3580 comments Mod
I have it on hold and should get it in plenty of time, possibly early.

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments I did already read Kings latest "the outsider"and liked that one fine. Holding me back from SB is the bloody size of the book.

message 5: by Dagny (new)

Mark wrote: "I did already read Kings latest "the outsider"and liked that one fine. Holding me back from SB is the bloody size of the book."

Know what you mean, Mark! That was my problem with 11/22/63 - not a book I could read in bed, way too heavy and awkward - wouldn't want to nod off and have that one hitting me in the face. Luckily, I going for the e-version of Sleeping Beauties.

message 6: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments I still have not read 11/22/66 that one has indeed taken some shelfspace and has yet to be read too. Stephen King does write bloody bricks of books you need some serious time reading them.

message 7: by Dagny (new)

Mark, I absolutely loved 11/22/63. I was in college when Kennedy was assassinated so anything along those lines intrigues me. As soon as I finished it, I thought I would surely read it again someday. Some time later though, I realized I wouldn't simply because it is soooo long.

message 8: by Heena (new)

Cheryl, Dagny and Mark - Yes, the size is very intimidating. Feel free to start the book a bit early if you guys want (like Cheryl mentioned.) I'm thinking of doing the same now.
I haven't read 11/22/63 but plan to read it in the coming year. I'm going to read The Green Mile, Carrie and Doctor Sleep before that as they are comparatively short and can be read with ease.

message 9: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments If I have the time to read with the world championship football starting right now.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 63 comments I have my copy ready to go!

message 11: by Heena (new)

Mark wrote: "If I have the time to read with the world championship football starting right now."

Lol... yes. That is one of my concerns too.

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Ditto here! I haven't even had time to finish Inferno which is riveting, lol.

message 13: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments Too much football for the next weeks.

message 14: by Heena (new)

Who are you guys rooting for??

message 15: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments Spain, Portugal, Brasil, Belgium & Switzerland

message 16: by Heena (new)

Mark wrote: "Spain, Portugal, Brasil, Belgium & Switzerland"

Ditto here for Spain, Portugal and Brazil. And also Germany, Argentina, Sweden and Iceland.

message 17: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments While I expect Sweden & Iceland not to be major players I must admit liking especially the Iceland team, even if it is not for their football, which is mostly strong defending with a few counters.

Argentina is a mediocre team around Messi and Germany seems to have lost their mojo recently I am not sure if they can pick up themselves in time.

message 18: by Heena (new)

Mark wrote: "While I expect Sweden & Iceland not to be major players I must admit liking especially the Iceland team, even if it is not for their football, which is mostly strong defending with a few counters. ..."

Agreed, but Sweden did make it to the main groups (leaving behind Italy.) I, in general, have a bigtime respect for Iceland players.

I'm a huge Messi fan and hope he gets at least a couple decent goals ASAP! Germany was defeated badly, but I am sure they'll pick up sooner rather than later (or I really hope they do.) They did win the last cup so it'd be a shame if they don't go to at least the semis.

message 19: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments We will see and that is going to cause major mayhem on my reading habits this month.

message 20: by Heena (new)

Yeah... that's true for everyone who takes an interest in football here.

message 21: by Cheryl (new)

OK, I just got the book from my library. It is huge!

One thing I noticed when reading negative reviews of this book is that people didn't think the writing was much like Stephen King. So, I'm going into this read by not assuming anything or having any specific expectations about the story. I'm reading it as if I don't know the authors.

I am also taking my time and not rushing through the story. If I don't get done by month's end, then I keep reading anyway. That way it won't feel like a chore that I have to get done. And it's OK to comment on a Buddy Read a bit later anyway. The next book is scheduled for October, so late comments won't interfere with another Buddy Read. We want everyone to ENJOY these scheduled books, not dread them.

message 22: by Dagny (new)

I suspended my hold until July 1 since I knew if it came in early I wouldn't have time to get it read before my three weeks were up (because of watching the World Cup). Plus I just finished a long Dan Brown book and need a rest, lol.

message 23: by Cheryl (new)

I am about half way through the book. It is a very quick-moving read. I can see where the writing isn't all Stephen's but that's a good thing. The characters (especially the female ones) are well-written and not as over-the-top as Stephen sometimes likes to make them. There's a bit more restraint here, and I really like that.

message 24: by Dagny (new)

Thanks for the early run-down, Cheryl. Good to hear. I'm #1 in line, so next time it's returned, I'll get it.

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Was just notified that it's now checked out to me. Will try to get started tonight.

message 26: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments Dagny wrote: "Thanks for the early run-down, Cheryl. Good to hear. I'm #1 in line, so next time it's returned, I'll get it."

Have fun.

message 27: by Cheryl (new)

I finished it. I gave it 3 stars: good but not great. A very quick read, for the size of the book. This makes me want to read the books that Owen King has written.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  | 63 comments I have read Joe Hill but not Owen King.

message 29: by Heena (new)

I'm (finally) done with another book by SK, so now I can start with this one. The other one I read was a collection of short stories and the first couple of stories were a bit meh... totally not worth the time I spent reading them, so I'm glad to hear that this book is not mostly SK's writing (contrary to what I believed.)
I've also never read any books by Owen King, so this would be my first too.

message 30: by Heena (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I finished it. I gave it 3 stars: good but not great. A very quick read, for the size of the book. This makes me want to read the books that Owen King has written."

I was worried that I would not be able to finish it in time. Now I'm so relieved!
I'll be posting the discussion questions and topics after I finish the book, in the meantime, feel free to post anything you have in mind :)

message 31: by Cheryl (new)

This book does have some feminist themes. I'm interested to see what you think of that. I'd really be interested in reading the opinions of male readers. Do you agree or disagree with the characters' thoughts on this subject?

message 32: by Cheryl (new)

I was wondering if anyone is reading this book and what you think of it so far. If you aren't reading it, please don't think I'm trying to pressure you to read it. We want everyone to participate at their own pace, without any pressure from us.

Feel free to post any comments about the book when you feel like it.

message 33: by Mark (new)

Mark (markvanvollenhoven) | 19 comments I am currently a whole 13 days before my well earned vacation and this book will most certainly feature a place for reading in that period. So I am not feeling pressured at all.

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Mark wrote: "I am currently a whole 13 days before my well earned vacation and this book will most certainly feature a place for reading in that period. So I am not feeling pressured at all."

I'm glad that you'll be reading it! I really want to see what men think of this book.

message 35: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 394 comments Cheryl wrote: "I was wondering if anyone is reading this book and what you think of it so far. If you aren't reading it, please don't think I'm trying to pressure you to read it. We want everyone to participate a..."

I read this book awhile back. It was okay, but I felt it could use some tightening up. I have nothing against a long read, but this meandered a bit for me.

message 36: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 09, 2018 12:42PM) (new)

Adelaide wrote: " I read this book awhile back. It was okay, but I felt it could use some tightening up. I have nothing against a long read, but this meandered a bit for me. "

Adelaide,

What did you think of the actual story, especially the feminist theme? Did you like the way the authors handled that? Did you think it was too over-the-top, or was it done in a good way?

message 37: by Adelaide (new)

Adelaide Blair | 394 comments Cheryl wrote: "Adelaide wrote: " I read this book awhile back. It was okay, but I felt it could use some tightening up. I have nothing against a long read, but this meandered a bit for me. "

Adelaide,

What did ..."

I am an over-the-top feminist, so I was fine with that. (view spoiler)

message 38: by Cheryl (new)

Adelaide,

I agree with what you said in your spoiler. I'll wait until others read the book to elaborate on that.

message 39: by Dagny (new)

There are so many characters! As a fan of first-person narrative, I'm having a problem keeping my interest. I'm used to focusing on a few characters without all this jumping around. The character list alone was almost enough to put me off, lol.

Does anyone have any favorite characters so far in your reading? Anyone especially likeable on whom to focus?

message 40: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 09, 2018 05:11PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: " Does anyone have any favorite characters so far in your reading? Anyone especially likeable on whom to focus?  ."

Dagny,
I liked Lila (the sheriff) and also the warden (Janice?). Of the men, I liked Lila's husband, Clint.

I found that as I read further, I needed to look at the character list alot less. Don't let that stress you out.

message 41: by Dagny (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I liked Lila (the sheriff) and also the warden (Janice?). Of the men, I liked Lila's husband, Clint."

Thanks, Cheryl, I appreciate it. I'll try to focus on them. Hopefully that will help me get interested in the storyline.

message 42: by Dagny (new)

I won't be finishing this one. Have been so busy this week that I haven't made any headway. My only reading this week has been in the book currently being lugged around in my purse. The weekend is full too. The book is due Monday, so I'm going to go ahead and turn it in.

message 43: by Cheryl (last edited Jul 13, 2018 05:29PM) (new)

Dagny wrote: "I won't be finishing this one. Have been so busy this week that I haven't made any headway. My only reading this week has been in the book currently being lugged around in my purse. ..."

That's ok, Dagny. I couldn't get into Under the Dome when it was a Buddy Read here. It's very difficult to get through a large book if it just doesn't appeal to you.

message 44: by Heena (last edited Jul 14, 2018 05:59AM) (new)

I' done with almost 100 pages and so far I like the story. I might not be impressed by the feminist theme (and I'm sure by the time I finish the book I'll have a lot to say about it), but I am loving the storytelling. Lila is a superb lead (and I hope she doesn't die!) and I like her husband Clint. There are a couple more characters that I like, but as I haven't read a book in the last 2 days I'm not able to remember the names.
Even I am going to start using the list of names because it is getting hard to remember the names especially when a lot of them start with 'E'.
It is proving to be a quick read, though I'm still struggling to find the time to just sit and read it. Maybe I'll do it tonight.

message 45: by Heena (new)

I'm done with this book... finally!

Unfortunately, I did not like this book as much as I wanted to. I didn't read any reviews before starting this one because the ratings alone suggested that the reviews were extremely polarizing. So basically I read the book with an open mind trying not to have any pre-conceived notions regarding either the writing nor the theme. But the theme... well, it was just so evident. I mean, I did enjoy the story and it made for an okay read (nothing spectacular, but of course better than a lot of other books) I did not care a lot about the theme. In fact, I honestly feel that this book was simply a means for SK and OK to raise an issue which is presently pretty hot in the press not only in the US but all around the world.

I, for one, do not agree that if women lived alone in the world, it would be like heaven. For one, I strongly believe that human emotions are not subject to gender but to individuals themselves. in my family, my husband is the one who is calm and quiet and I am the one who gets upset fast and always act irrationally. I have anger issues, but I am a woman, so I'm pretty sure that if I lived in a world full of women only even then I'd have same anger issues as I have now.

Evie tried to give women a choice, but then towards the end, she tried to manipulate that choice by provoking Frank to kill her. Now that's exactly what she or the theme fo the book show men to be doing to women.
I understand and agree that women are treated badly at a lot of places, but for that, we don't have to eliminate men from the society but need to get rid of the thinking that's plaguing most of the men and a lot of women.
I know one thing very nicely - women do not get along very well, specially strong-minded women, so even if we get rid of the men, what about this problem? There will still be murders, aggression, fights, violence, etc. So then what's the point? And maybe, as I'm beginning to realize while writing this, that's what the authors are trying to say?
I'm just glad that I read this book without giving up on it during the boring bits.

Another reason why I didn't like the book as much is King's direct political jubes. (Note: I am neither a Trump fan nor interested in politics of other countries) I used to follow SK on Twitter and used to receive a notification every time he tweeted something, but lately, his tweets have been so political that I had to unfollow him because I followed him to stay updated about his works and books and stuff and not sole political views. He can tweet about whatever he wants, his wish of course, but I hated to see the same thing int he book too.

An afterthought: What exactly defined 'women'? Genitals? Hormones? Hair? Body? Then what about people who are of the third gender?

This book felt like it was written solely for selling. I'm a little disappointed. :(

message 46: by Cheryl (new)

Heena,

I think the authors did show that an all-women world wouldn't be a paradise. They showed how one of the women killed the other (don't remember the names) in the "all-women world". I think they showed what you were saying: a change of heart is needed, not an elimination of a gender. No easy answers.

I liked the book more than I thought I would. I liked the first half, where there was alot of character development. The second half, especially the siege on the prison for Eve, was pure Stephen King - it went on way too long. I actually skimmed some of it. I really don't read much Stephen King anymore, partly because of the political rants thrown into recent books (whether I agree with them or not). I will look for other things Owen King has written, just to see if I'd like his solo writing.

message 47: by Heena (new)

Cheryl - No easy answers indeed. I did skim after the first half as it was too "Under The Dome" politics. Even some of the characters felt the same.

I did like the characterization, like you said, in the first half. Lila and Clint were good leads and I enjoyed reading Jared's part as well as Frank's story, but when all the other storylines came in, again, it felt like Under The Dome.

What are your thoughts on Evie? I am, for some reason, not able to form a solid opinion about her (especially after the stunt she pulled towards the end.)

message 48: by Cheryl (new)

Heena,

I thought that Eve was a total mystery. Nothing about her or the "sleeping" was really explained - why she was there, why the women fell asleep and acted violent and feral when awakened. The whole story felt more like a fairytale or a parable, where the moral of the story was the only important thing.

message 49: by Heena (new)

Yes... it was more of a fairytail than anything else. I guess a screen adaptation would be very interesting. What do you think?

message 50: by Cheryl (new)

Heena wrote: "Yes... it was more of a fairytail than anything else. I guess a screen adaptation would be very interesting. What do you think?"

It's a long book, so maybe it would be made into a Netflix original series with a short run. I think the story is too long to tell - at least if you're going to have all of the characters in the book - within a 2 hour timeframe.

« previous 1