Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for September 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nick (last edited Jun 22, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Hello again everyone,

Midsummer is upon us and it's time to open nominations for our September 2018 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

and/or

b. these threads:
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2012-Present https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2006-2011 https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Wed, June 20.
• The first round of polls will open Thursday, June 21, and will run through Monday, June 25.
• The run-off polls go up Tuesday, June 26, and will be open through Sunday, July 1.

Thanks!

Nominations So Far:

SCIENCE FICTION
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
Way Station by Clifford D. Simak
Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty
The Quiet War by Paul McAuley
Embassytown by China Miéville
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
Excession by Iain M. Banks

FANTASY
Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett
Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly
The Storm Lord by Tanith Lee
Declare by Tim Powers
Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

message 2: by Nick (last edited Jun 14, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Please nominate away in this thread!

message 3: by Silvana (last edited Jun 14, 2018 08:06AM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Fantasy: the upcoming new novel from Robert Jackson Bennet, Foundryside
SF: The Player of Games by Iain Banks. The group read it before, way back in 2011.

message 4: by Nick (last edited Jun 14, 2018 01:52PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Silvana wrote: "Fantasy: the upcoming new novel from Robert Jackson Bennet, Foundryside
SF: The Player of Games by Iain Banks. The group read it before, way back in 2011."

Thanks Silvana,

At present, Foundryside is not in print form. Though it is expected to become available at the end of August, these things change quite often. Selecting it as a BOTM would be a gamble, therefore we do not generally put in nominations which are not currently in print form. Once it comes out, please nominate it again.

For now, feel free to make another Fantasy nomination.

FAQs: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 5: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Gotcha.

I think I will nominate Moving Pictures by Terry Pratchett.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Great noms so far Silvana.

Let's see if anyone else chimes in before Wed (June 20).

message 7: by Mike (new)

Mike | 12 comments Way Station by Clifford D. Simak

I've been wanting to read Way Station by Clifford Simak for a while.
The Kindle version is currently $1.99.

message 8: by Chris, Moderator (new)

Chris (heroncfr) | 613 comments Mod
For fantasy, I nominate Nebula award nominee Amberlough.

For science fiction, I nominate Nebula and Hugo nominee Six Wakes. I actually started reading this one this morning, and it hooked me immediately... I think the group would like this deep space thriller.

message 9: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Chris wrote: "

For science fiction, I nominate Nebula and Hugo nominee Six Wakes. I actually started reading this one this..."

Ooh, Six Wakes is in my TBR too.

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments I want to nominate something in fantasy by the amazing Tanith Lee whose constant output I miss very much.

In looking on the B&N site, I find that her biggest seller at the moment, at least there, is The Storm Lord, so let's try it out.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments I'll nominate Declare by Tim Powers for fantasy, a very influential cross between fantasy, horror and spy novel by one of the greats

and The Quiet War by Paul McAuley for SF. I think McAuley is probably the most under-rated SF writer working today, just astonishingly good.

message 12: by Joey (new)

Joey Anderson | 43 comments I'll nominate Embassytown by China Miéville. The group read it in 2012.

I'm not sure whether this book would qualify as science fiction or fantasy (time-travel), but I've always thought of time-travel as fantasy: Time and Again by Jack Finney.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 221 comments Joey wrote: "I'll nominate Embassytown by China Miéville. The group read it in 2012.

I'm not sure whether this book would qualify as science fiction or fantasy (time-travel), but ..."

Embassytown is definitely sci-fi - alien planet an all that. A damned good book!

message 14: by Phil (new)

Phil J | 57 comments The Demolished Man Sci Fi classic. Alfred Bester influenced a lot of modern SF by combining pulp action, space opera scope, cyberpunk sensibilities, and PKD surrealism.

message 15: by Nick (last edited Jun 22, 2018 05:28AM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Joey wrote: "I'll nominate Embassytown by China Miéville. The group read it in 2012.

I'm not sure whether this book would qualify as science fiction or fantasy (time-travel), but ..."

Thanks Joey,

We go by the top GR genre on the book's main page to determine if it is SF or Fantasy. It's an imperfect system, but we have to set the parameters in some fashion, and this is how Stefan, the group's founder, set it up, and the current mods think it's as good as any.

So you have nominated two SF books. I will take the first nomination you gave, Embassytown and add it to the list.

It was our SF BOTM back in May of 2012, and that is when I read it. But five years is a long time to stay away from a good book, so it just may win.

message 16: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Paul wrote: "I'll nominate Declare by Tim Powers for fantasy, a very influential cross between fantasy, horror and spy novel by one of the greats

and The Quiet War b..."

Declare was the groups fantasy BOTM back in May of 2003. But I guess some of you were not even born yet, so it's a good nomination.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Phil wrote: "The Demolished Man Sci Fi classic. Alfred Bester influenced a lot of modern SF by combining pulp action, space opera scope, cyberpunk sensibilities, and PKD surrealism."

The Demolished Man was an SF BOTM back in November of 2012. But it's always good to have a classic on board with the other noms.

message 18: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3368 comments Mod
Fantasy: Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness. Since we are reading book 1 of the All Souls trilogy in July, I think we could read book 2 in September. (It's worth a try, since I will likely finish reading the trilogy anyway after we read the first book.)

SF: I know we already have a book by Iain M. Banks nominated, but I will nominate another: Excession. Always good to have options...

message 19: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Nominations are now closed for the First Round of Polls!

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments The First Round of Polls are up for September 2018's BOTMs. These polls decide which two books go on to the final round.

This first poll lasts until 11:59PM PST, Monday June 25. The second round will go up around noon on the 26th.

September Science Fiction First Round: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

September Fantasy First Round: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Time to go vote!

message 21: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 975 comments Polls are now up for Beyond Reality's September 2018 Books-of-the Month.

Take a moment to go vote!

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...