Historical Romance Book Club discussion

A Talent for Trickery (The Thief Takers, #1)
This topic is about A Talent for Trickery
Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - A Talent for Trickery - Alissa Johnson

Comments Showing 1-50 of 125 (125 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Loriidae (last edited Jul 21, 2018 04:24AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Buddy Read beginning July 22
A Gift for Guile (The Thief Takers, #2) by Alissa Johnson A Gift for Guile
(view spoiler)

Disscussion - Message 54

Buddy Read beginning June 20

A Talent for Trickery (The Thief Takers, #1) by Alissa Johnson A Talent for Trickery (#1 The Thief Takers) Alissa Johnson

(view spoiler)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I read chapter one this morning - nice writing style.

Mariana | 2310 comments I am most likely not going to begin until tomorrow afternoon.

Mariana | 2310 comments I read chapter 1 today. I agree, nice writing style. It is an interesting story as well. Not too many historical romances with a heroine who is 30 years old. However, I frequently am not a fan of Second Chances, which this seems to be as they have been apart for 8 years.

message 5: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4104 comments Mod
I plan to read one tonight too.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am not a fan of second chances either, especially the ones that are all drama-llama with misunderstandings and no communication.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Three
I am intrigued. Lottie is not your typical heroine. Very different to what I normally read.

message 8: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I have read the first chapter now. I agree, quite compelling writing.

Mariana | 2310 comments I read chapters 2 and 3 today. Not really much has happened, but it did give more insight into Lottie's behavior and the family dynamic. She is intriguing.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Six
I am really enjoying this. I like the writing and the understated wit.
(view spoiler)

So far it is the best new author pick we have made for several months.

message 11: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Yep, definitely the best since Bowen. I am through six also. It is a light and witty stort of that is easy to read and the story telling seems well paced.

Mariana | 2310 comments Loriidae wrote: "Through Chapter Six
I am really enjoying this. I like the writing and the understated wit.
<“How much time, precisely?” (Owen)
She gave him a sardonic look. “Two days, twelve hours, forty-three mi..."

That exact same scene stood out to me as well.

I just don't understand why they couldn't have had the conversation in chapter 6 sooner. I understand why they might not have discussed shortly after her father's death, but failure to communicate for 8 years is quite a long time.

Mariana | 2310 comments I read chapter 7 today.

I appreciate Lottie's ability to admit her own error and to trust again (at least partially). I like their first kiss, but I found it odd that they had not had one before the 8-year separation.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "I read chapter 7 today.

I appreciate Lottie's ability to admit her own error and to trust again (at least partially). I like their first kiss, but I found it odd that they had not had one before ..."

I was sure that it was implied earlier that there had been more to their previous relationship than good friends, but I obviously read that wrong.

Loriidae | 1120 comments I have read through Chapter Eleven. Will post more later as I am out for the day now, and need to get ready soon, not to mention the cat is telling me I am abusing her shabbily by ignoring that it is breakfast time. I am really enjoying this.

message 16: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

That just made me smile 😊. Poor cat.

I am enjoying it also, but I really don’t like reading in this app that I think Mariana is using too. I may just buy it instead.

Based on the way infatuation they seem to have for each other, it seemed like there may have been more before, but I guess not.

message 17: by Mariana (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana | 2310 comments I completed chapter 11 today as well.

Chapter 9 was a turning point for me. Before that, I could take the book or leave it. I just paced myself to read a chapter or two each day. Now it is much easier to read. I better understand the characters, and their growing relationship is more believable for me. Plus, I like the action that is coming up (both the danger and the romance).

The only thing I don't quite buy is the reason Lottie is still a virgin. She obviously has a passionate nature and has been told sexual relationships can be pleasurable. She has absolutely no moral reason to not have sex outside of wedlock. The only reason she hasn't is because she feels like she can't be honest with anyone and men don't know her real name?

I started in the app, but I also did not like it. I checked out a paperback copy from my library.

message 18: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I went ahead and bought it. Getting a paperback would have been a great idea. I should have checked my library!

I have fallen behind a bit and am only through nine. Haven’t had as much time to read lately, or it may be that need-to-read drive is back to a normal level—I have read a ton this year!

I liked their first kiss also, but I did feel like it was moving a bit quick for them.

message 19: by Andrea AKA Catsos Person (last edited Jun 28, 2018 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments wasn't this a botm title?

I think that I read it with this group when it was botm.

I hope you all enjoy it!

Mariana | 2310 comments Maybe so. I know I missed a lot of BOTM reads umtil this past 18 months. I twice nominated ineligible books.

Andrea AKA Catsos Person (catsosperson) | 1635 comments Mariana wrote: "Maybe so. I know I missed a lot of BOTM reads umtil this past 18 months. I twice nominated ineligible books."

ARe you enjoying this book so far?

message 22: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Through 11 now! Will post more in the morning.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Eleven
I am enjoying the verbal sparring between Owen and Lottie. I was sure that it was implied earlier that there had been more to their previous relationship than good friends, but obviosly I was wrong.

Her ability to glide into a room like a ballerina and her propensity for gliding off a saddle like a sack of potatoes were fairly well matched.

Through Chapter Sixteen
The writing is very vivid. The fire and recovery scenes really drew me in.

How do you feel about keeping everything from the brother? I can see how Lottie feels she is doing the right thing, and I guess if not for Owen's return the chances of Peter meeting anyone from their former life were fairly slim. I think Peter should have been told when the shooting started.

Sparkling wit:
And I’ve no talent for this sort of thing. Encryptions and such.” He tapped his finger against the armchair in a thoughtful manner. “I wonder why that is.”
“Poverty of imagination,” Lottie offered,

The pebble analogy was very good.

The romance: I am finding Owen's character more convincing than Lottie's. The quick turn around in her feelings after eight years of resentment didn't really work for me. Secrets! Hate them. Don't like them as a plot device for sowing discord between couples.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "... I liked their first kiss also, but I did feel like it was moving a bit quick for them. ..."

It worked ok for me until I realised that nothing had happened eight years prior, now I tend to agree with you.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "I completed chapter 11 today as well.

Chapter 9 was a turning point for me. Before that, I could take the book or leave it. I just paced myself to read a chapter or two each day. Now it is much ea..."

I agree I was enjoying it more for the writing than the actual plot.

I also agree with you about the virgin bit. Why not take up with the butcher, if she had only friendship with Owen before.

Mariana | 2310 comments Andrea (Catsos Person) is a Compulsive eBook Hoarder wrote: "Mariana wrote: "Maybe so. I know I missed a lot of BOTM reads umtil this past 18 months. I twice nominated ineligible books."

ARe you enjoying this book so far?"

Yes, I am enjoying it, good but not great. It is increasing in excitement I plan to read much today and finish over the weekend.

message 27: by Mariana (last edited Jun 29, 2018 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mariana | 2310 comments Through Chapter Sixteen.

The fire and recovery scenes really drew me in as well.

I agree they should have told Peter at least some family history when the shooting started. How can he help keep himself safe if he doesn't understand the gravity of the situation? He obviously didn't believe it was just a poacher, but he will be very angry when he finds out how much his sisters have kept from him in spite of all that happened.

I also liked the pebble analogy. It definitely worked for me and demonstrated Lottie's dad's sharp mind.

I don't mind a quick change in feelings. I appreciate a person's ability to admit when wrong, even emotionally. However, eight years of resentment and estrangement was too long for me for either of them. One or the other, or both, should have tried to reach out before eight years if either of them cared for each other half as much as they seem to now. In fact, it seems they would never would have seen each other again if a situation would not have forced it; yet they are each separately and secretly wanting marriage? I also hate secrets as a plot devise, the more drawn out the worse.

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: " ...In fact, it seems they would never would have seen each other again if a situation would not have forced it; yet they are each separately and secretly wanting marriage?
..."

Yes! That is it exactly!!

message 29: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (last edited Jun 29, 2018 09:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I agree. The separation is too long. I have been thinking that there is so much wasted time. I am one who likes second chance romances, but this one it just seems like wasted time. I also like an older h&h, but again,seems silly to have not made an opportunity for that discussion before circumstances brought them back together. Being able to believe that separation made sense is important to second chances and it doesn’t here. I like the writing, characters and am finding the plot mostly interesting, but the romance is a tough sell.

message 30: by Loriidae (last edited Jun 30, 2018 07:06PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Confession: I didn't read yesterday. I got hooked listening to Blame It on Bath. (You were right Joanna, I adored it. )

Mariana | 2310 comments I finished. The second half went much faster and easier for me than the first. I just had to put aside the number of years that passed before these two got their second chance. I think the author wanted to try to strike a balance between enough years for Peter to go from small child to young man without so many years for the hero and heroine to forget about each other.

Let me know when you finish chapter 19.

message 32: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae wrote: "Confession: I didn't read yesterday. I got hooked listening to Blame It on Bath. (You were right Joanna, I adored it. )"

Awesome. Glad you enjoyed it. It’s one of my favorites. 😍

message 33: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am through Chapter 20. I may end up finishing tonight. After these ones are over, I am going to try to keep my buddy reads to one at a time. Earlier this year I was reading a ton, but have slowed down to a more normal for me pace. Sorry I have been such a poor buddy reader lately, though.

I agree it picked up for me with the fire. I enjoyed that he saved her. I like books that show a capable hero and heroine, but I also like them to still need each other.

Right now, I am a little bit annoyed with Lottie. The keeping that last secret seems like a plot contrivance and not in keeping with the characters. I do overall feel like they have taken a turn from infatuation to something deeper.

message 34: by Loriidae (last edited Jul 02, 2018 03:47AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae | 1120 comments Finished - Overall it was a solid read for a debut novel. The writing was quite powerful in places and not overly modern which is always an issue for me with historicals.

I liked Owen but didn't really get into his head, his character didn't change much from beginning to end.

The real changes were in Lottie's vision of Owen, herself and her view of her father. I probably enjoyed Esther's personality more, there were so many layers, and I felt her pain. The fire in the stable at the time came across as TSTL, but became more understandable as the multi-layered relationship with William Walker was revealed.

Growing up with that miserable excuse for a father - rouses strong emotions thus the author has achieved her purpose. I enjoyed the twist at the end and while the kidnapping of Peter was a bit too obvious, it did move the plot along.

I think that while the romance, apart from the eight year gap which we have discussed, was believable, I enjoyed the secondary characters more. I liked the camaraderie scenes between the three men.

At some stage I would like to read the second as it is Esther And Samuel's story, but it isn't high on my list.

message 35: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am finished now too.

Great point on Owen. His only transition was to decide he wanted to marry Lottie. I did like his handling of the different situations. I think he appeared to think like a detective. But, he was 37 years old, I think, and I didn’t feel like he seemed that old. I think they both didn’t seem as old as they were.

I really liked her writing style, which is what will get me to read more. I agree on the secondary characters. I am more interested in Esther and Samuel.

Story_girl | 26 comments Is anyone doing a buddy read for book 2 in this series??

message 37: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I would like to read book 2, but can’t right away. Are you thinking soon?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes, sometime, but I agree not right away. (Personally, I am not a binge reader and prefer my series books a month apart)

Mariana | 2310 comments I am definitely up for a buddy read of book 2. I plan to read it anyway. Maybe around July 20th?

Loriidae | 1120 comments I am really flexible, I don't have a lot planned.

Story_girl | 26 comments Joanna Loves Reading wrote: "I would like to read book 2, but can’t right away. Are you thinking soon?"

No, I can wait if you are interested in reading along. Always more fun to buddy read than read alone.

Story_girl | 26 comments Mariana wrote: "I am definitely up for a buddy read of book 2. I plan to read it anyway. Maybe around July 20th?"

I'm ok with July 20, if it's suitable for everyone else.

message 43: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new) - rated it 3 stars

I think that’ll work OK for me.

Mariana | 2310 comments Still up for starting book 2 this weekend?

Loriidae | 1120 comments Yes. I meant to put the new thread up. Are you able to? Or I will do it later today when I get to my desktop.

Mariana | 2310 comments I also would want to wait until I get home to my laptop. Want to just modify this thread?

Loriidae | 1120 comments That's a good idea.

Story_girl | 26 comments I'm up for book 2!

If you all are starting a new thread for book 2, can you please post the thread here? I don't know where to look for it otherwise :)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Story_girl wrote: "I'm up for book 2!

If you all are starting a new thread for book 2, can you please post the thread here? I don't know where to look for it otherwise :)"

We decided on continuing this thread. I will update the title on my desktop later and add a post in the buddy reads thread here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Loriidae | 1120 comments I will probably start reading tomorrow.

« previous 1 3