What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Crabbe's Journey
This topic is about Crabbe's Journey
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. (unsure of year 1950-1990) YA possibly Canadian adventure novel about a runaway who goes to live in the woods. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mitch (last edited Jun 14, 2018 12:01AM) (new)

Mitch Smith (mitch_smith) | 2 comments This is a book I have been trying to find for close to 10 years. It is a YA adventure novel about a kid (maybe a teenager) who runs away from home and takes a car. He eventually hides the car under sticks and leaves and takes a canoe out to find a place to live. At one point all of his matches get wet and he gets to an island. He sets up camp and struggles to get a fire lit. Eventually, I think he just ate a can of food cold(He spills sardines on himself) and goes to sleep for the night.

He wakes up to a bear eating his food. I believe he scares the bear away but I don't remember what happens exactly. He then gets back on the water. After a bit of travelling he wind up going over the edge of a waterfall and almost dies when the backpack of canned food knocks him in the head. He wakes up after being saved by a girl who dove in and pulled him up. She gets him back to health and trains him to survive on his own.

Eventually she disappears and he goes after her. He finds her being abused by a group of people and sets out to save her. I believe he saves her and finds black pepper. He uses the pepper to stop dogs from chasing him. He has to scale a wall down and I don't remember much more. I believe one of them falls and gets hurt but it's been too long to remember properly. I think at the end he makes his way home.

I'd love to read this book again and have not been able to find it. I'm pretty sure it was a Canadian author and it was a relatively short book, likely under 200 pages. The book was kind of old when I was a kid so it's probably from earlier than 1990.

message 2: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) | 1039 comments Mitchell, here's a list that might have the book you're looking for:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Good luck and let us know if you do find your book :D

message 3: by Angela (new)

Angela | 626 comments Crabbe's Journey by William Bell? If it helps, this website has a detailed plot summary that even goes chapter-by-chapter. It does seem to include some of the plot points you mentioned (bear attack, main character's near drowning and being rescued by a young woman, the woman being attacked by a group of men, etc.)

message 4: by Mitch (new)

Mitch Smith (mitch_smith) | 2 comments I believe Crabbe's Journey is correct Angela. Thanks so much for finding it for me! I looked up the book cover and it matches what I remember. I'll have to give it a read again soon. Thanks!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Crabbe's Journey (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

William Bell (other topics)