Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

The Dude Who Did Dictionaries
This topic is about The Dude Who Did Dictionaries
Literary Fiction > "The Dude Who Did Dictionaries" - New Literary Novel

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Josh Mitchell (wickid_pissa) | 14 comments My new novel "The Dude Who Did Dictionaries" is now available on Amazon via Kindle Direct as a KDP Selection - www.amazon.com/dp/B00M0DUI8Y

Frank Flutie is a lexicographer who has waged war on the "perils of adultolescence" by leaving a high-paying job as a copywriter for an advertising company called The Banker and taking a low-paying job in a bookstore instead, ostensibly so he can write the first ever all sexual dictionary.

The "war" (and his dictionary), however, aren't going particularly well and, under the stress of his "self-imposed exile" from affluence, Frank has become petty and fatalistic -- "a shit hoarder whose dictionary would be better utilized as a flyswatter, a doorstop, or a paperweight".

Always broke, but too proud to accept charity, he rarely sees his few friends and cannot get the virginal Marlene in bed because (or so he believes), "If you got no dough, no woman will love you."

On the mantle in Frank's shabby apartment is a sickly but unkillable pet sea lamprey -- a jawless fish he abhors as the banner of the sort of "clockwork universe" he is fleeing from in his downward spiral.

In the course of his misadventures, we become grindingly aware that his radical solution to the problem of the money-world is no solution at all -- that in his desperate reaction against a monstrous system, he has become something of a monster himself.

"The Dude Who Did Dictionaries" is a behemoth valentine to Boston and a gritty, sprawling, depiction of today's recession-inflicted state of affairs.

You can learn more about my other books on Goodreads - www.goodreads.com/wickid_pissa

message 2: by Henry (new)

Henry Martin (henrymartin) Josh,

Just what makes this a work of literary fiction?

First, your book, on Amazon, is listed as:

Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Growing Up & Facts of Life > Friendship, Social Skills & School Life > Boys & Men

Second: Perhaps the profanities used in the 'sample' are not best when classifying one's book as 'Children's eBooks'

Third: Again, why is this literary fiction? Are you addressing the human condition, the collective unconscious, the larger problems our world is facing? Or, perhaps, are you using beautifully-wrought language that takes precedence over the plot itself? Or, are you perhaps using amazing metaphors that make this book worth reading for the quality of the prose alone?

Sorry, I'm not an elitist, but I am honestly curious.

It seems that there are more 'literary' works coming out every day, but the argument does not hold up well once you look into the content.

By the way, there are now at least six threads where you promoted your book. Historical, Literary, and others.

Please, make up your mind about the genre, and don't feed me the cross-genre crap that has become the typical GR authors' answer. You cannot be in Children's and cuss, and you cannot be Literary at the same time.

Dignity and honesty . . . two words every author should take to heart.

message 3: by Pete (new)

Pete Morin | 38 comments It’s as much literary fiction as Mad Magazine.