Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

2018 Classic Bingo Challenge > Lysistrata's 2018 Bingo Challenge!

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Toviel (last edited Sep 23, 2018 04:15AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments BINGO BOARD
Note: Titles of TBR classics are below in case I never actually get to them.

[ tbr ].. | Anatomy of a Murder by Robert Traver | [ tbr ].. | Lorna Doone A Romance of Exmoor by R.D. Blackmore | I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison
The Original Folk and Fairy Tales of the Brothers Grimm The Complete First Edition by Jacob Grimm | [ tbr ].. | .....[ x ] | .....[ x ] | .....[ x ] |
[ tbr ].. | The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett | .FREE. | .....[ x ] | .....[ x ]
Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #4) by C.S. Lewis | .....[ x ] | .....[ x ] All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque [ tbr ]..
.....[ x ] | [ tbr ].. | .....[ x ] | .....[ x ] | [ tbr ]..

TBR Pile:
b1. Irish Fairy and Folk Tales by W.B. Yeats (Poet Laureate)
b3. The Satanic Bible (Banned by Government)

I2: Slaughterhouse-Five (New-to-You Author)
I5: Don Quixote (18th Ce. or Earlier)

o4: Foundation (Put Off Reading)
o5: The Mists of Avalon (Female Author)

message 2: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments Finally finished reading Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor for my 19th C. Lit. space. Too tired for in-depth thoughts, but it's easily one of the best books I've read this year, period. I usually haaaate Victorian era literature, so it's nice to read something from the period which is genuinely fun to read. And a romance, no less!

Only complaint is the middle dragged on and on. I kept drifting off and brainstorming how I would change the story if I were adapting for a screenplay.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3420 comments Welcome to the challenge Lysistrata. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. That's great that you brainstorm about how you'd adapt it when you're bored.

message 4: by Katy, New School Classics (new)

Katy (kathy_h) | 9885 comments Mod
I hope you enjoy the challenge Lysistrata. Nice to see that you enjoyed Lorna Doone, another to add to my growing TBR list.

message 5: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1580 comments I enjoyed Lorna Doone too. And I agree that it dragged in the middle, but the ending was great.

message 6: by Toviel (last edited Jul 09, 2018 03:10AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments Sue wrote: "Welcome to the challenge Lysistrata. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. That's great that you brainstorm about how you'd adapt it when you're bored."

Thank you! I find adaptations fascinating (it's not too different from translations, which I also enjoy), especially when a story would require a lot of changes to fit comfortably into a 90 minute picture.
---
Thread-related, I reread the Maltese Falcon for the film mystery/crime slot on my way back from Italy.

Last time I read the book and saw the movie, it was for a class on early 20th century American fiction. Didn't like either book or movie much then, still don't like the book much better now. In fact, it was almost worse because I caught a lot of the homophobic subtext which I missed the first time around.

Didn't rewatch the movie(s), but I remember liking the 1931 version more than the '41 classic, mainly because it was truer to the raunchy source material and the actress in the '31 version played a better Brigid than Mary Astor.

message 7: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments Finished off I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream for the "Literary Prize of Your Own Country" square. It won the 1968 Hugo Award for Best Short Story. Loved the video game based off it as a kid, seemed like an excellent collection to tackle with Harlan Ellison's recent passing.

Unfortunately, I hated it.

Will link to the review I'm working on when I post it.

message 8: by Toviel (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments Finished All Quiet on the Western Front for the Group Read square.

This was an interesting reread. It affected me a lot as a high schooler.

The work is so vivid, it's easy to understand how war warps the mindset of the soldiers baring the brunt of the battle and lives behind nothing but despair in its wake. Surprisingly, the scenes which affected me as a teenager didn't hold the same sway as they did the first time around; in fact, the writing felt flat and simplistic in those specific sections.

An interesting note about the 1930 film version: unlike the novel, which begins with the slow death of one of the main character's friends, the film begins at the start of the Great War admidst the the nationalistic fervor of the Germans. The main character is framed at the leader of his school friends, and his decision to enthusiastically volunteer for service convinces the others to join up as well. If this was true for the book version as well, it's easy to see why the book ends the way it does (view spoiler) due to the survivor's guilt he must have felt in addition to the sheer horrors of the war itself.

message 9: by Toviel (last edited Sep 23, 2018 04:16AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 65 comments Finished Prince Caspian for my "Adapted into a Film" square.

Review here. Short version: it's pretty forgettable. Can't wait to push onto the next book for my mini-reread project, DAWN TREADER was my favorite Narnia book as a kid. I'll probably make it my FREE square.