Discourse in a Digital Age discussion

The Power

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Good convo tonight about My Brilliant Friend. We missed those not in attendance so feel free to share thoughts on the other thread. July 11 we’ll meet to discuss The Power by Naomi Alderman. No kit for this one and it is newer so take that into account when requesting from whatever library.

message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
We don’t have a snack person for July. Teresa, up for it?

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Yes I can bring something

message 4: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments requested the book today, # 17 but there are a lot of copies. we'll see

message 5: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments I just got in line for the Power. I may just buy it!

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I picked up The Power from the Marketplace branch (my new secret weapon). I’m having this baby sometime in the next...24 hours so...I’ll be around and hopefully can get a little reading done! Vera, I can keep you posted if you want to swing by and hold the baby and borrow my copy 👶🏻

message 7: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments I’d love both! Smooth sailing to you and the baby!

message 8: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hammond | 27 comments Looking forward to hearing about the baby.

message 9: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Do we have a new baby yet?

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
We do! Emory Paul Smith was born at 12:32am on 6/27, 8lbs 3oz and 19 inches long. I don’t know how to post pics on goodreads so will try to send an email. It was a wild ride but we’re doing well and head home tomorrow. I’ve read a few pages of The Power so we’ll see how it goes!

message 11: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments Congratulations to you and your family, Anne! I got a copy of The Power (Charing Cross Branch) and I'm really liking it. It's empowering.

message 12: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments How are you all getting copies? I am on the list. I thought you could not check them out until all were off the list.

Congratulations Anne!!!!!!!!

message 13: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
A couple of the libraries have copies that are “available but not holdable.” That’s what Vera and I got. So they don’t send them between libraries but if you go to that exact branch (and it’s available) you can check it out. I think the two we have are the only two for this book but we’ll keep You posted since we all live within a block of each other!

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I did not know about that. I thought about going to the county, I heard you can take out books there.

message 15: by Lori (new)

Lori Zimmerman | 2 comments I got a copy through the Consortium

message 16: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Teresa, I think my local County branch has a copy in -- i'll let you know ASAP of I can get it for you.

Welcome baby Emory, and congrats to the whole family!!

message 17: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Teresa - I have a copy for you from the County, checked out thru 7/13. Meet somewhere Monday?

message 18: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments When and where?

message 19: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments I have a class @ Carondelet Y Mon 11:15-12:15. We could meet at the Buder branch lib, say 12:45? Or ?

message 20: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Sounds good to me!

message 21: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments See you at BU Mon. at 12:45 (inside, in the AC!)

message 22: by Vera (new)

Vera Emmons | 21 comments I just returned my copy. I left it at Schafly. It’ll show up at Charing Cross in a few days, I’d assume.

message 23: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Spoiler alert, for those not yet to Chap 28. I just finished the section about Roxie's skein being removed to be implanted in her brother. Horrible! knowing it was going to happen and not being able to stop reading. In general not enjoying the sexual and other violence, but I appreciate what Alderman is doing with the story, the inevitability of it.
Can't stand, tho', being kept in the dark about the hinted at apocalypse coming (Cataclysm Era?).

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I finished a couple days ago. Definitely hard to read at times but very interesting premise.

message 25: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments I finished that chapter about the same time as you did Lucy, You can see something bad coming, but I am not sure what.

message 26: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
I don’t have anyone on the snack thread but couldn’t find if someone agreed on another thread...

message 27: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Shall I bring something?
Has anyone heard from Kim?

message 28: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Anne had asked me earlier, and I already have stuff.

message 29: by Anne (new)

Anne | 135 comments Mod
Oh great! Vera and I are meeting around 6 to walk over. Want us to swing by your house?

message 30: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (lucy47) | 149 comments Anyone besides the 4 of us and Ken participating tomorrow? Lori and Cheryl?

message 31: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
My book review is up: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Overall, I liked it and can't wait to discuss it with everybody. See you tonight!

message 32: by Lori (new)

Lori Zimmerman I can't make it this month. I leave on vacation tomorrow and need to pack/do laundry. I'll be there next month though....with snacks!

message 33: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments Hi Everyone! Looking forward to tonight’s talk. I had a late start, but I am enjoying the audio version of This Power! The book is narrated beautifully!

message 34: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Hammond | 27 comments I am coming. Cheryl

message 35: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 63 comments Yes swing by and I will be ready, Thanks

message 36: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments I finished “The Power a few days ago. It was interesting, however the jumping back from one action packed moment to another kept me
confused.
I know that Roxy’s father was a mob boss, but why did he kill his wife? I don’t remember that being told. What was the point of the Descriptions of the museum between chapters? I was listening to the book. Were those pictures? I applaud the person who suggested this book. Even in moments I was totally com
fused, I had to continue listening to the book’s humorist ending!

message 37: by Kenneth (new)

Kenneth Hardcastle | 166 comments Mod
Thanks for sticking it out with us, Donna! Roxy's mother was her father's mistress. I believe he killed her to justify the attack on the enemy gang. (Moment of Realization: the enemy gang boss must have known the truth when Roxy killed him and that paints his comments in a very different light. I don't think he ever denied it.)

The descriptions of art were interspersed with pictures of what was taken as religious imagery, but may have been other things. For instance, we pointed out how the imagery of the Bitten Fruit was an Apple tablet.

message 38: by Readridinghood (new)

Readridinghood | 62 comments Hi Kenny! Thanks for explaining everything to me! I am looking forward to the next book! Happy weekend!