European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Discussions > Bloody Mary Tudor

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 3 comments In all my years of reading historical fiction, I have been very interested in Bloody Mary (Mary Tudor, Mary I), but I just realized that in everything I've read she has been a secondary character. So I'm looking for recommendations for books about Mary herself -- history books, historical fiction... Any suggestions?

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Brown (beautygoodbook) | 7 comments Following

message 3: by ``Laurie (new)

``Laurie (laurielynette) I Am Mary Tudor by Hilda Lewis is a wonderful book about Mary.

message 4: by RJay (new)

RJay (plantagenetjunkie) | 20 comments Sorry, I can't help you with that.

message 5: by Karína (new)

Karína (karinacruz6) | 2 comments Following

message 6: by Cindy (new)

Cindy Following (I love that European Royalty is active again)

message 7: by RJay (new)

RJay (plantagenetjunkie) | 20 comments OK, this is a new thread ...
I've been researching Joan of Kent, the first Princess of Wales. Many may know of her as the mother of deposed Richard II. When Bolingbroke deposed his cousin and crowned himself King Henry IV, it was the beginning of what became known as the Wars of the Roses. Many HF books have written about this bloody time in English History. Natural fodder.

What is likely little known is that ... Joan of Kent might be considering the 'matriarch' of this bloody cousins war. She is the grandmother (X times removed) of Richard, Duke of York, thus Edward IV and Richard III. Also, to Margaret Beaufort and thus to Henry Tudor/Henry VII. Also to the Dukes of Somerset, right hand to Queen Marguerite. And to top it all off, her line leads to the man who led Tudor's troops at Bosworth, the De Vere 13th Earl of Oxford!

Absolutely mind-blowing!

message 9: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (ringwraith10) | 3 comments Thank you all for the recommendations! I ended up getting In the Shadow of the Crown by Jean Plaidy -- she's an author I have read before and enjoyed so that seems like a good place to start. I hope to read this soon. :)