Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Daughter of Smoke and Bone [July 12, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 88 (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
July 12th.

message 2: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I think I'm going to try the audio for this one.

message 3: by Lillia (new)

Lillia (princess_shakerria_yaobsessed) | 106 comments I always use audiobook so I know I will.

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments In :)

message 5: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments Are we going to read all three? I'd be up for reading the whole trilogy.

message 6: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I don't think we discussed it yet. It will depend on if I like this one enough or not if I will continue.

message 7: by Mayim (new)

Mayim de Vries | 2948 comments Tempted.

message 8: by Sha (new)

Sha | 1522 comments I have been wanting to read this forever...

message 9: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I'm in.

message 10: by Kirin (new)

Kirin this has been on my TBR for years!! Totally in for this

message 11: by Lillia (new)

Lillia (princess_shakerria_yaobsessed) | 106 comments I would like to read all three

message 12: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I will start listening tomorrow. Curious to see what I think of this one.

message 13: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I started last night and am only 4 chapters in. I like the setting of Prague. Can't say I've read any books in recent memory set there.

message 14: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm listening and somewhere in chapter 5. I'm liking the setting as well.

message 15: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments I'm going to be a bit late starting as I'm currently away from home visiting my folks. But I will be starting!

message 16: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'm around chapter 25 (maybe a couple before that). (view spoiler)

I don't have a lot of solid thoughts on this, I'm just very curious to see how it all unfolds and get some answers to all of the questions that have been posed so far.

message 17: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I'm also through Chapter 25. It's very intriguing! I agree with you CP though I find I do have questions I hope get answered. (view spoiler)

message 18: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I have all of the same questions!

message 19: by Kirin (new)

Kirin Ahh! I'm so behind. Going to try to catch up to you guys tonight

message 20: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I finished. Happy to say that questions are answered, though there is a cliff hanger style ending. Initial thoughts (view spoiler)

message 21: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I listened to a bunch more today. Hopefully I will finish in the next couple of days.

message 22: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I just finished chapter 49. (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments I hope to receive my copy this week.

message 24: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Great, Saar!

message 25: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments C.P. wrote: "I just finished chapter 49...."

(view spoiler)

message 26: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Finished it a while ago. I liked it, but didn't love it. (view spoiler)

Now I just have to decide if I want to continue and finish the trilogy.

message 27: by Miche (last edited Jul 16, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Miche | 3175 comments I liked the second and third books more than the first one. 😉

message 28: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I'd like to read the second book if anyone else is interested.

message 29: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Good to know, Miche!

Do you want to do it at the same time next month, Narilka? I think I can do that.

message 30: by Shaitarn (new)

Shaitarn | 1963 comments I'd like to read the other books, so would be up for joining a BR.

I personally preferred the early section of the book before Akiva turned up (nothing against him or the insta-love, I just preferred the earlier urban fantasy feel of the book; I still enjoyed it, but the second half wasn't as much fun for me.

message 31: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments It was those long flashbacks (or whatever you want to call them) that threw it off for me. But the beginning wasn't my favorite. I liked it (the whole thing, overall), but I'm not really into urban fantasy so kind of preferred when the tone changed.

message 32: by Narilka (last edited Jul 17, 2018 05:45PM) (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments C.P. wrote: "Good to know, Miche!

Do you want to do it at the same time next month, Narilka? I think I can do that."

That works for me.

Edit: I just realized I'm going out of town that week. Put the BR for that date anyway and I might just read it early :)

message 33: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments We can change it if it works better for you.

message 34: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I will ask for the next two on August 12 and September 12. I'm fine with pushing it back some as well, so if that works better we can adjust it later on.

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments I'm on chapter 20 now in the Dutch translation. It reads like a train so far. I'll try to post more this evening on the laptop. Still in hospital with my son.

message 36: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Hope everything is ok with your son!

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments @C.P.: after 6 days he's finally home. He had the rino - virus and a bacterial infection together.

I'm starting chapter 22, but up untill now I'm hooked. I can't wait to continue. At first I thought that it wasn't going to be a story for me: school, boys...But then it got interesting with Brimstone, Issa...
My thoughts so far is that: (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments I love the writing too: colorful, magical and the art references. It goes all well together.

message 39: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments Good to hear your son is home and hopefully doing better.

All your questions get answered by the end :)

message 40: by C.P. (last edited Jul 22, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments Glad to hear your son is home!

And I'm excited to see what you think of how this plays out. I thought some of the explanations to your questions were very interesting.

message 41: by Miche (new)

Miche | 3175 comments Glad to hear you son is feeling better, Saar!

message 42: by Lillia (new)

Lillia (princess_shakerria_yaobsessed) | 106 comments hey, guys, I'm a little behind on reading this but as always this is really good.

chapter 5

(view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments Thank you, guys! I can't wait to finish because of all the questions. It's such an intriguing story!
My thoughts so far: (view spoiler)

message 44: by Onarina (new)

Onarina | 3 comments Guys I just finished reading the book. I would very much like to discuss the events. has anyone else finished yet? Was there an official end or something?

The erratic parts all come together now, and I am pleased to find eveything coherent. Although the ending has left me wanting for more of this story.

My thoughts right after finishing:
(view spoiler)

I would love to discuss more.

message 45: by Narilka (new)

Narilka | 3345 comments I think several of us have finished. There really is no official end date. Discuss away :)

(view spoiler)

message 46: by Lillia (new)

Lillia (princess_shakerria_yaobsessed) | 106 comments I haven't finished yet. just taking my time plus I work a lot so not that much time like I use to.

chapter 10
(view spoiler)

message 47: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4273 comments Whew...just made it! I logged in mainly say hi Margert but also to get my foot in the dooor for thsi trilogy before the deadlime. Started on time but on;y read five pagesok? Seems cool.
Hope we are reading Cake and Puppets too, guys please.
Once upon a time an angel & a devil fell in love.
It did not end well...

;-)))

message 48: by C.P. (new)

C.P. Cabaniss (cpcabaniss) | 1578 comments I'll have to see if I can get the Cake and Puppets one. Is that one 1.5 or 2.5 in the series?

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments Narilka wrote: "I finished. Happy to say that questions are answered, though there is a cliff hanger style ending. Initial thoughts [spoilers removed]"

I thought that too: (view spoiler)

Saar The Book owl | 2057 comments C.P. wrote: "Finished it a while ago. I liked it, but didn't love it. There was a bit much insta love for me. It's not that I disliked the romance, just the pace of it was off for me.

I understand the need of..."

I found (view spoiler)

« previous 1