Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Anna Karenina
This topic is about Anna Karenina
Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Anna Karenina [Aug 1, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4603 comments Mod
August 1st from the "Read all the classics" thread.

Beste | 1163 comments Spot!

Beste | 1163 comments Starting tonight. What a beautiful way to spend my weekend in sorrow.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments i just adored my copy yesterday. and smelt the pages... :) will start today or tomorrow.

Em*Greedy* (Iniya) (iniya_n) | 386 comments I started chapter 1.. Will make more progress during the weekend..

message 6: by Zaara (last edited Aug 03, 2018 09:00AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Anna Karenina Log

@all...I'm glad you guys are here!
Pffft...so I panicked abt being left behind (Oonagh appeared totally confident on the surface but is actually scared of this book) and already read six chapters 😌 but this is nothing. Bcuz Part 1 itself has 36 chapters and there are 8 parts!

@Manjoooo...I am listening to the Garnett translation on LibriVox (its free and quite good) rather than reading the Peavar and Volshon...the damned brick. Resting my wrists ahead of Words of Radiance next month...haha! I realise I somehow ALSO own the Maude translation as well in physical...😂 #dumbass

Ok so I read 6 chapters.
Immediately I realise this book is only gonna make me even more cynical about the *snort* Holy State.
Steppan Arkadyevich (I know I muffed up this spelling somehow) seems (so far) a cosseted jerk...(view spoiler) I suppose its all "prevailing attitudes of the time" and I find I can always cleanly leap over my modern sensibilities whenever I read old books...I never even feel the time divide but this time I'm all...if Dolly is so bitter and a shrew, isn't this partly his fault?
Also 😣 about how (view spoiler)

Btw....what an amazing opening paragraph. I know it is very famous...but deservedly so.
*Tips hat in the general direction of Lev's grave*

Otherwise the writing style is very annoying. Extremely!
*kicks petulantly*
It reads so extensively like stage directions:
"He went into the room. On the table were three letters and a telegram. He opened the telegram. He read the telegram. His barber came into the room. The barber was followed by the valet...."
Wtf??
Oh and also it is NEVARR "He" like....literally, the simple pronoun is never used, so far. Every sentence begins with the words "Steppan Arkadyevich". As if we don't know who is being talked about...owwww! I think I remember reading somewhere @Andy saying how Russian novelists used to be paid by word count and so they massively fluffed their novels with hugedescriptions and never used one word where ten will count. Ouch!

Meanwhile Anna Karenina is just stepping into the story. Soon we would meet her, I think...

Beste wrote: "Starting tonight. What a beautiful way to spend my weekend in sorrow."

Btw, @Beste yeah....
I dunno if I will survive this without turning into a complete psycopath + a depressed one too bcuz I can literally feel my heart turning black(er) and heavier...which is why I am cunningly offsetting this read with the TJ Klune book of lovepackcuddlesfeels and (for good measure) a "feel good" love story. Bcuz I am deffo gonna need the helpline to sustain my faith in humanity...😂😂😂

Regarding the pace...I saw you guys chatting on "Read All the Classics" I'm slow. I will try to finish this book in a month and a half bcuz Sept 1 I'm starting Stormlight 2 so would like to crank out a good chunk of this one before then.

message 7: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Ch 9
(view spoiler)
Why do I get the feeling I will keep meticulously commenting on this stuff like an idiot and you guys will silently race past me and finish, leaving me wid a mouthful of dust and powdered snow??

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments Chapter 9? 😲 *Falls off her chair*

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments It's your first time reading this?? @Zaara

message 10: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Manju wrote: "Chapter 9? 😲 *Falls off her chair*"

No no...this is nothing....Chapter 9 out of 38 in PART ONE. And there are 8 PARTS, each with at least thirty chapters 😂😂😂 so I'm just 5% in...really nothing major.

Manju wrote: "It's your first time reading this?? @Zaara"
Yeah. It is. I know nothing. Don't tell me. For Beste it is a re-read.

message 11: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 134 comments Zaara wrote: "Ch 9."

(view spoiler)

message 12: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Yay @ctgt...you started too!
And yeah that was so 😂 hilarious + touching which is why I wrote it in that way!
😃

message 13: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - added it

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
I'm going to be starting a little late (what's new?....) but I'm still in!

message 14: by Zaara (last edited Aug 05, 2018 10:45AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Yanique wrote: "I'm going to be starting a little late (what's new?....) but I'm still in!"

:) good to know! It's a long book. I'll be here all month...

Beste | 1163 comments @Zaara its been long I read this and I had forgotten his language. It is annoying but it is also necessary that he graves the names in our heads. I am easily confused when the names are similar and russian names sound similar to me most of the time:)
I didn't know they were paid by word count, this explains a lot :)

I want to talk about Vronski but its going to be a long suffocating talk. I will go watch some rom com now to calm myself for this.

Beste | 1163 comments I left at 'Respect was invented to cover the empty place where love should be.'
Needed some air. So I watched some fun stuff. I'm planning on going back to book tonight and hopefully will not need anymore breaks before I finish. Though I can't be sure, Vronski makes me want to yell at someone.

@Zaara, while we read Vilette I felt the opposite, like I wanted to sit down and mourn for her but Anna Karenina makes me want to stand up and pick a fight with someone about anything. How funny is this?:)

message 17: by Ctgt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ctgt | 134 comments Listening to the audio with Maggie Gyllenhall as the narrator, she is good but not great. In to part 4 now and I have to say I find very few of the characters likable so far.

message 18: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments How did you get so far ahead, Beste?
Haven't got there...so I am not angry yet...
I only just reached Chapter 25...
Kitty and Levin and Vromski have made their entrances, as has Anna.
There are random little philosophical asides and debates...abandoned as abruptly as they are started. In every other book, the parts I enjoy most are the irrelevant additional inclusions, inserted just for the sake of beauty and depth. They most show, I always feel, the propensities of the author and editor and their dynamic....
But here they are jarring.

CH 22-25
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Zaara (last edited Aug 10, 2018 12:57AM) (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I don't understand yet about Levin's angry wastrel brother.

Also @ctgt, I think the best decision I made was to go with audio for this book, despite having two physical copies. I didn't pay for Audible tho'. There are several free selections on LibriVox and I'm taking advantage of them. They're really quite good for amateurs.

Manju...you R here, right?

Beste | 1163 comments Zaara wrote: "How did you get so far ahead, Beste?
Haven't got there...so I am not angry yet...
I only just reached Chapter 25...
Kitty and Levin and Vromski have made their entrances, as has Anna.
There are ra..."

As I said I spent my weekend and 2 weekdays in sorrow to finish, I needed to get out of the book asap. Despite the beauty of philosopical side of the expressions and scrutiny of the periods living conditions, this was a heavy book. I'm a romantic and I've always been a romantic. But re-reading this I realised how much I changed in years, I hated her decisions (by the end of the book) before but this time I could relate to why she did what she did.

@Manju its been long I read a russian author. I'm taking back my words at 'read all the classics' thread. I need a break after this. I agree that we shouldn't read another russian so soon. -shall we try french?- Anyways I don't mean I don't like reading this kind but I can't binge them without going in depression.

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2385 comments @Zaara - I am still here... read 4 chapters. will write my thoughts once i finish 10 chapters. :)

@Beste - if i only manage to read Anna Karenina this year, it will be highlight of my year... so don't think I can manage another classic this year. but i am still curious about your french suggestion. what do you have in mind?

message 22: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments I hV hearead 34 chapters...reached the end of Part One.
(view spoiler)

I still dislike the extremely linear, endlessly detailed and stage direction-y tone of the writing (there was one place where he described the rip/tear in a coach drivre's overcoat for a full couple sentences and all that about cows and bulls and how each cow was a different co,our and their spots and I was all *majorly eyerolls* but it does immerse ...when you can mentally see the scene pictures in such minute detail.
Also when internal dialogue and the unfolding of moods and feelings is discussed with such ruthlessly involved scrutiny...it does make for a richly emotive work.

Don't worry @Manu..these are tiny chapters and I am also listening to this very slooooowly. Like thirty mins a day...

Haha @Beste, this is why I am taking this book in small doses and mixed it with other ones. To fend off the sepression. Wow, you read it in one straight sitting!

@Yanique, hi.

Beste | 1163 comments Manju wrote: "@Zaara - I am still here... read 4 chapters. will write my thoughts once i finish 10 chapters. :)

@Beste - if i only manage to read Anna Karenina this year, it will be highlight of my year... so d..."

I never had chance to read Nausea, there is Journey to the End of the Night I'm curious of and we can always read from Balzac and Victor Hugo ??

message 24: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments SPOILERS THRU PART 2, CH 11
(view spoiler)

God, the matter of fact sordidness behind the glittering facades of luxury...its soooo sordid....I don't know HOW 😂 I started four depressing books all at once...my posts on here have become ever longer and more mourmful...

I am soooooo doleful @everyone...look at my sad faces....😞😢😥😓
Thank God, Tooth and Claw is starting + some of the other depressive reads are ending....

message 25: by Ahdam (new) - added it

Ahdam (snowlocke) | 2429 comments Hi guys so I'm writing a library romance script and my main character is a sucker for Russian literature and the book he's reading which is also his favourite is Anna Karenina.... and I haven't read the book and I don't intend to yet so I may need your guys help to know if this is a good book for a character who loves romance and Russian literature to ogle with his "person of interest"

101 Researching right here :) :) :) :) :)

message 26: by Yanique, Thread Master (new) - added it

Yanique Gillana | 1011 comments Mod
So I started on audio and had to stop. This is definitely a physical read, which means I'm starting over and I'm waaay behind. This happened with Villette too. Maybe classics on audio are not for me.

message 27: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments Yanique wrote: "So I started on audio and had to stop. This is definitely a physical read, which means I'm starting over and I'm waaay behind. This happened with Villette too. Maybe classics on audio are not for me."

And I wouldn't be able to carry this on if I wasn't using both formats....I need the audio to give it some vitality...the writing style is so STODGY!
I have just struck one of those dreary pastoral patches with Levin in the countryside...still in Part 2...so haven't written a full log.
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Zaara (new) - added it

Zaara | 4273 comments @Yanique? Am I the only one quietly plugging thru this? I need to wrap it and get to Wuthering Heights, which I cunningly started anyway.
I reached the part (view spoiler)
And I find the Lev scenes groan-inducing...haha...such a thinly veiled disguise...Levin/Lev = so totally NOT Leon but a completely FICTIONAL creation, oh my!
Well, who are we to deny the man some wish fulfilment in his own writing?
The varieties of marital disharmony and discord and emotional agony he explores and the trasmutation of abstract feeling into words alone earns him a place in the echelon...
And look what Tolstoy went thru in life...torn between his place in the aristocracy and his heartfelt commiseration for the peasantry....his own turbulently miserable marriage and undignified death...he ran, didn't he, from that poor mad wife and then died penniless in a railway shack (??) somewhere in the cold with a sordid media frenzy going on outside.
Who better to write about bitterness than someone who drank the dregs?

Ancient wisdom traditions say you die how you live...

Poor Anna...still, I can't say I dread what is coming for her... when she lived in such turbulence...I will only feel glad, or try to....that her restless soul may find a soft darkness.
But it won't....she'll crash and burn in her self-destruction. What a waste. What a waste of beauty and brains and heart. Poor darling.

Consider this my closing comment. I have nothing much and deffo nothing NEW to say about classics (anyway) that have not already been said by more erudite pens than mine.

@Manju and @Iniya have dropped this, I think? Not a single comment from either of you...